Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:34:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Poll

If the price for AOTY 2017 were $40 again instead of $25 like last year:

I am planning to participate in 2017 and will pay $40
26 (78.8%)
I am planning to participate in 2017 but will not if the price is $40 instead of $25
2 (6.1%)
I'm not planning to participate but I think the price should be $40
4 (12.1%)
I'm not planning to participate but I think the price should be $25
1 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Voting closed: January 07, 2017, 02:22:11 PM

Topic: AOTY 2017 Price poll  (Read 6062 times)

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Previously the price for AOTY was $40. We lowered it in order to (hopefully) drive up participation. That hasn't really happened. Since the money (now) goes to a good cause, I would like to raise the price back up to $40, but not if that means we'll lose a bunch of participation.

Consider that we have prizes again now. I do not think that I am going to put quite as much effort into prizes in 2017 but I will work with sponsors again to hopefully provide a decent set of prizes in 2017. It actually helps when I talk to sponsors to have a larger dollar amount that we give to the charity; in some cases the degree that they're willing to support us is in proportion to how much money we give away.

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Are the prizes just for the top place holders, or are there prizes also for participation in 2017?  I know I received a Random Prize drawing in the middle of the year 2016 which was unexpected, but if you have lots of prizes maybe distribute some down to all participants (to anyone that at least post some points for AOTY).  That could potentially build participation for each year.  Or at the end of the year you do a "secret santa" with a certain amount of prize donations to the particpants? 

What is your participation goal? 

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
$40 is fine with me.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
Are the prizes just for the top place holders, or are there prizes also for participation in 2017?  I know I received a Random Prize drawing in the middle of the year 2016 which was unexpected, but if you have lots of prizes maybe distribute some down to all participants (to anyone that at least post some points for AOTY).  That could potentially build participation for each year.  Or at the end of the year you do a "secret santa" with a certain amount of prize donations to the particpants? 

What is your participation goal?

We have quite a few small prizes and I'm working on an equitable way to distribute them. My plan this year was to be able to give the top 10 "Main Event" finalists a prize, in addition to the top in each side challenge. I think we'll be able to do that just fine. Additionally we may continue down the list if there are prizes left over, that remains to be seen. One challenge is that since we are all dispersed geographically we'll be shipping a lot of the items.

The participation goal I had in my head for 2016 was 50. Since we didn't hit it I guess that's my goal for 2017. But that number is arbitrary; my main goal is to have a fun competition that people enjoy and raise money for HOW.

onefish

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
I'm in for 2017.  40 is fine w me.  Maybe a little captains bag or even a hat or T-shirt with participation at the $40 price point would get people interested
“Out of the water I am nothing” Duke Kahanamoku

polyangler

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
$40 is good IMO. Didn't play last year, but 2017 is a go!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

[img width=100 height=100]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/saltyplastic/NEMrod

uplandsandpiper

$40 is fine by me. I'll see if I can North 40 Outfitters to pony something up.

Casey

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
I'm in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
The main reason for a fee is to raise money for a great cause.  $40 is not that much different than we pay for one day competitions and with AOTY you get to compete all year.

I am good with an increase and I think we could all get an additional friend to compete to help get the list of people competing even larger.
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Forty dollars?  Forty?  Now it's getting interesting, Cap'n.  At $25 it didn't bother me too much that I skipped some great fishing days this year, but that extra $1.25 a month?  That's the kind of motivation I need!

Forty bucks is fine with me.  I'll be in for 2017.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
A suggestion for prize distribution- consider a gathering like a prize banquet early-mid January or something like that?  Combine it with a clinic at next adventure or another sponsor venue? Perhaps at the prize banquet you could allow $25 entry and regular PayPal signup is $40 or mid year signup.  Just putting some ideas out there.

At $40, a captains bag or early signup trinket would possibly increase participation.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
I'll see if I can North 40 Outfitters to pony something up.

Thanks! I really appreciate that. Glad to hear you'll be competing from inland  ;D

islandson671

• Heroes On The Water NWest
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
$40 is doable. When will the registration/payment link be available. I'd like to post to our HOW pages and or NWKA FB page. Plus, I plan to fish on Monday so...Let's get it on!

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
$40 is doable. When will the registration/payment link be available. I'd like to post to our HOW pages and or NWKA FB page. Plus, I plan to fish on Monday so...Let's get it on!

You can definitely start fishing immediately in the new year and we'll honor those catches once you're signed up. As far as when the sign-up will be live that is not up to me directly but it will be as soon as possible. Glad you're involved and getting HOW folks involved too, that's great!

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I'll add it to the North Coast chapter Facebook page, too.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

anything