Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:18:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: BIG LAKE PIKE TOURNAMENT RESCHEDULED TO MAY 20th  (Read 2348 times)

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
Just as I was sending off an inquiry to Jason about whether it looked like Big Lake would be ice free by May 13th for the Pike Tournament I caught a post on the event FB page that very moment saying due to continued ice cover conditions the tournament is rescheduled for MAY 20th.  Same rules apply.

So that means all you Calcutta competitors will have the next weekend available to participate in the pike eradication tournament. The more participants, the deeper the prize money list will go for those entered in each category.

Remember:
There will be three divisions for prizes:  Boat (Most and Biggest), Kayak (Most and Biggest), Shore (Most and Biggest) all ties will be decided by weight. How far down in placement the prizes go will depend on number of entries and donations.

Also its not going to be a shotgun start from the South launch. Kayaks will be allowed to head out FIRST!!

Here's your chance to help reduce the Big Lake pike population that threaten the char, burbot, rainbow, sockeye, and coho fisheries that rely on Fish Creek and this chain of lakes for their existence.  Pike are now nearing 50 inches which places them in the 30 to 35 pound bracket. That would be an impressive wall mount in anyone's den!
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
Anchor Point here I come!
"If your hands ain't bleeding, you ain't fishing hard enough!"

MikeA210

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
barring military obligations i should be able to make it out, excited to finally get the yak on the water for the first time this year!

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Oooo...nice....doh...i have a seminar to give in Homer on the 19th and  20th.  Bummer I cant make this...a big pike woukd be awesome!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

T_Bird

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Hmmm , is register online?
Do I need to be there for the prize? Anyone have location where to weight? More details reply appreciate!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
Hmmm , is register online?
Do I need to be there for the prize? Anyone have location where to weight? More details reply appreciate!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.facebook.com/events/123472931531289/

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
I know most folks would rather go after flatties and kings this time of year, but just a reminder...plus, no weather or surf worries on Big Lake.

I'll be up there camping this evening and will willingly share some new found tactics I learned to be quite successful last weekend with fellow NWKA folk.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 09:58:03 AM by AKFishOn »

AK Trapper

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
AKfishOn,
Good luck in the tournament! Would love to hear about your success and lessons learned for pike this time of year. The Salt is calling my name this weekend as well and with recent reports WG and Kenai mouth are likely places to spot my new yak... Besides, I haven't ate fish in weeks and freezer is empty!

Jonathan

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
AKfishOn,
Good luck in the tournament! Would love to hear about your success and lessons learned for pike this time of year. The Salt is calling my name this weekend as well and with recent reports WG and Kenai mouth are likely places to spot my new yak... Besides, I haven't ate fish in weeks and freezer is empty!

Jonathan

Will do and good luck down there. I'll get all the salt action I can handle next weekend, family and I are camping in Homer and the wife is bringing a friend so I will not have to endure the tourista crap of Homer. ;-)

MikeA210

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
Just made it out, now a little shut eye before registration. See you fellas in the AM

NoobHookz

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Apr 2017
Reporting good fun but little success. 32 participants and only 6 pike caught (2 people caught 2 each) . AKFishOn won the kayak division biggest and most w a good looking one. Despite the slow fishing it was still an awesome adventure. Lesson learned is pike hit bait better than artifical when the water is still cold (water got barely 50F during the day) .
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 02:46:20 PM by NoobHookz »