Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:43:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Homer bound, 1st time kayak fishing may 11-14  (Read 2257 times)

• Date Registered: Mar 2017
Wondering if any of you guys would be fishing on Homer during this days????
I could use a fishing partner since I don't know the area that well.

I have herring as bait and shrimp. I don't know what else to bring. I head down to Homer Thursday morning.

Hope to see someone fishing there !
thanks

TALL FORCE

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
I will be heading to Whiskey Gulch Thursday night. If you feel like going after some halibut or just saying hi come on over. I'm pretty hard to miss. I will be taking my new outback for the first time and will be focusing the buts.

If you targeting kings there is success to be had trolling in front of the condos.
"You will not catch anything with your hook out of the water, well nothing worth keeping anyway."

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
This time of year, many of us will be focused on whiskey gulch about 30 miles north of Homer.

The homer spit is a much easier place to start alone though.  As tallforce said. You can troll rught in front of lands end hotel and the condos, then out to the green can for kings.  This time of year, i would try shallower...say 20 to 50 ft of water. 

Halibut can be caught anywhere, but just on the north side of the green buoy in 80ft of water, ive seen them caught.

The fishing in my experience is more consistent but a lot more difficult due to currents at WG.

I will be fishing the king derby saturday with my son at WG.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Oh...

My basic info sheet on Homer:
https://sites.google.com/site/kayakfishingalaska/locations/homer

Cook Inlet:
https://sites.google.com/site/kayakfishingalaska/locations/cook-inlet

you can get to the different species info from the side bar.  Super basic stuff only to see how I do it.  Others do it differently and are just as successful once they put some time in.
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

jsfishndreams

• Herring
  • Date Registered: May 2016
I was planning on heading down to WG on thursday and fishing through saturday. Tallforce or franco if any of you guys want to meet up let me know, fishing in a group is always more fun.

TALL FORCE

• Perch
For sure, I drive a red Tacoma and have a red hobie outback. The current plan is to head out at low tide on Friday and head south. Stop by and we can figure something out.
"You will not catch anything with your hook out of the water, well nothing worth keeping anyway."

jsfishndreams

• Herring
Sounds good, I drive a black/silver nissan extra and have a blue outback. What time are you going to be at the camp ground?

katinalaska

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
I'm probably going tomorrow afternoon/evening to Whiskey Gulch. I'm going to be driving a small RV with an orange kayak. Looking forward to seeing you guys and a great weekend of fishing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TALL FORCE

• Perch
I should be arriving around 8:30 pm if every goes according to plan.

hello tallforce and jsfishndreams!!!!!
 I'm looking forward to meet, I'm currently by the downtown homer, I'm going to do a "test run" by the spit just to get an idea of how it feels to be in the ocean on a kayak. Tall force and Jsfishndreams, I'll be glad to join you if you let me tag along... lik I said I'm over by downtown homer, so I will need a bit of time to get to whiskey gulch. 

If anything this is my email, thechino18.fh@gmail.com
hope to hear from you, are you doing the tournament tomorrow?

anyone heading to the spit ?? :/

CS

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
hello tallforce and jsfishndreams!!!!!
 I'm looking forward to meet, I'm currently by the downtown homer, I'm going to do a "test run" by the spit just to get an idea of how it feels to be in the ocean on a kayak. Tall force and Jsfishndreams, I'll be glad to join you if you let me tag along... lik I said I'm over by downtown homer, so I will need a bit of time to get to whiskey gulch. 

If anything this is my email, thechino18.fh@gmail.com
hope to hear from you, are you doing the tournament tomorrow?

Homer weather is looking a bit too dicey for my taste. You may do alright on the more protected north side of the spit. Might even find a few kings hanging around the lagoon. Whiskey Gulch is downright dangerous today, even for experienced kayakers. So much so that the tournament is postponed until tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Build a man a fire and he'll stay warm all night. Set a man on fire and he'll stay warm for the rest of his life.

Hey CS, well like I was saying I'm still new to this and I've been checking out the weather when direction and speed as well as the current. I mean like I said I'm not experienced at all but I think I will be doing some shore fishing. Like I said it will have been nice to meet with someone so I can tag along to dosome fishing but you cannot tell the weather what to do

easyyakker

• Lingcod
It might be worth your while to show up at Whiskey Gulch tomorrow morning. The weather forecast is good. I have a feeling there will be a number of kayakers getting ready to hit the water around 6:30. If the water is nice (which it sounds like will be the case) you could do some trolling or head out just a little further and try for some halibut.

At the least, you can meet some good fisherman. I'll be there too. More importantly you'll get too meet some great folks. I ran through the same thing a couple years ago when I got started. Before I even got a boat I went down to WG and just walked around talking to a few guys and looking at their yaks. I think the first two times I took my boat to the water I passed on going out because the water wasn't perfect. I wanted my first time in the inlet to be a perfect day. (I fished those waters almost every day as a charter captain for twenty years and have a healthy respect for what mother nature can throw out you.) You've got the right idea. Look for some other kayakers. Even watching the others go out when I wasn't ready gave me more confidence. Definitely, fishing with others around will make you feel more confident and possibly help you avoid a mistake or two.

My biggest advice would be that if you don't feel confident with the situation don't go. As you gain experience on nice water you will learn to judge what is nice, what is doable (doable doesn't always make for a good day of fishing), what is safe, and what is a disaster waiting to happen. Respect the water and don't even think about heading into the saltwater in Alaska without your dry suit and PFD.

Hope we get to meet you.