Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:14:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: *** ORC 2017 Volunteer Opportunities ***  (Read 3301 times)

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Hi all,

Beyond all the great volunteer opportunities that already exist with the ORC taco feed, there are several volunteer roles open for people to help with the ORC event itself. 

Most of these roles are particularly safety related and some are more tournament related.

The following safety related roles are listed on our insurance application with the American Canoe Association.   I'm willing to take the lead role on this, and while many of the roles are overlapping, it probably would look better if I'm not the only name repeated on the application.    Some of these roles, like "site safety inspection", can be done ahead of time by a participating angler.  Others positions could be split between two anglers willing to switch out half way through the day.  Of course, if anyone is planning on coming to the ORC and not fishing the tournament, these would be great opportunities to keep busy and help us out.

1. Safety Coordinator
       Unless someone is willing to volunteer for this with significant experience coordinating safety (EMT, military training, etc..)  I'll most likely have this role as overall event coordinator.

2. Emergency Procedure Lead - Coastal Chief
       We need someone to help come up with our emergency procedures.    Everything from how to contact the Coast Guard, to calling an ambulance, and tsunami evacuation routes.  A lot of this can be work done ahead of time gathering phone numbers and local contacts.  Having someone on site with paramedic or EMT training would be awesome.

3. Site Safety Inspection - Jed
      This one is pretty straight forward.  We need someone willing to inspect both the boat ramp area as well as the Chinook Bend campground for potential hazards.   

4. Rules enforcement
      This role probably belongs to me as well, but I'll need help.  Every angler on the water should be on their VHF willing to help enforce boundary lines and other tournament rules.    We'll need a couple volunteers willing to launch a little late to help with the safety checkout in the morning.  Having more than one checkout line is going to be key to getting everyone on the water as quickly as possible.   Another set of volunteers can help run the weigh in station and the various rules that are involved there.

3-5 volunteers for check out
3-5 volunteers for weigh in

5. Communications Director
       This is another role that I feel has a lot of overlap with the other roles.  That said, having someone willing to be the go between on VHF between the safety/event coordinators and the participants on the water could be very helpful.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to voice them here or to send me a PM.  If you're interested in one of the positions, it might be best to PM me first.

Thanks,

Brian

« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 10:36:55 PM by bsteves »
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

jed

• ORC_Safety
  • Salmon
  • With a But like mine, you'd want to flaunt it too.
  • Date Registered: May 2014

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon

Coastal Chief

• ORC_Safety
  • Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Apr 2017
PM sent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
PM sent

I have a feeling that being the Fire Chief at Depoe Bay he might be the safety guy of choice. Just saying.   :banjo:

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Coastal Chief

• ORC_Safety
  • Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Apr 2017
Hmm...I cannot imagine what my PM to bsteves may have said!

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Brian, I'm sure John, Dana and I can cover early bird safety inspections for those wanting to launch at the earliest time allowed since we carpool and get there early early.

We can get geared up and precheck as many folks as possible while we wait for earliest allowable launch time to come around.

We can pass the clipboard(s) over to the not so early bird safety inspectors when they show up around 530, and then hit the water with the first wave of launchers to help keep an eye on a boundary area.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Craig, that would be great.  Thanks.

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
PM sent

PM returned

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
I was considering doing hot coffee at the sign-out station. Maybe put up a donation jar for HOW? $1/cup for participants and tourny volunteers can swill java for free. The urn I have does 55 cups a pop. Is anybody going to want coffee at the ramp?

On a related note, I will bring an extra 6 pack of toilet paper, as that seemed to be an issue in the recent past when/if the ramp gets too busy.

I can also bring our official HOW first aid kit to be kept at the weigh-in/check in station.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Casey

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
I was considering doing hot coffee at the sign-out station. Maybe put up a donation jar for HOW? $1/cup for participants and tourny volunteers can swill java for free. The urn I have does 55 cups a pop. Is anybody going to want coffee at the ramp?

On a related note, I will bring an extra 6 pack of toilet paper, as that seemed to be an issue in the recent past when/if the ramp gets too busy.

I can also bring our official HOW first aid kit to be kept at the weigh-in/check in station.
I'd buy a cup or two. Awesome idea

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008

Thanks Anthony!

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
I'll bring one of the HOW pop-up shelters too for the weigh-in station to keep the sun and/or drizzle off of the kind folks there that get to answer the "what's going on here?" questions all morning. :-)

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Just say you're taking donations... it'll chase people away or get some cash for HOW!

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Definitely in for the coffee as well. Great idea!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL