Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:33:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Practicing safety brought me to urgent care  (Read 2767 times)

• Date Registered: Aug 2015
I'm up at CDA for the week so I brought my immersion gear and wanted to practice rolling my hobie outback and re entering. 

So while practicing re entry I busted my lip and I think my tooth went through my lip.  My wife and three kids were watching too so that was fun.

So I'm at Kootenai urgent care for the next while  ;D

« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 12:50:32 PM by idahoduckhunter »

Good news is my new lightly used dry suit from NRS, booties, and chinook life vest work great 👍

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Sorry to hear you got injured, but glad your gear works!
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Maybe next time try crawling over the side instead of chewing your way back up through the bottom? 
That looks sore, but it's a good story to think about.  It's easy to think of a turtle just as a hassle getting the yak over and back in.  Not hard to imagine it's possible to get knocked out after looking at the hole in the lip...

Thanks guys.  I ended up with a few stitches.  Hopefully I can get back on the water tomorrow evening this time without incident.

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I get into my Trident from the water many times a day when snorkeling and spearfishing for Pike.  A couple times I have bonked my face on the far gunwale.  This can happen if you hang too vertically in the water before attempting to climb into your kayak.  When you pull down on the near gunwale, the far gunwale can lurch up and smack you in the face. 

To avoid this kind of mishap, while hanging onto the near gunwale, kick your feet until you are lying horizontally on the surface of the water, pull the kayak swiftly underneath you, and immediately push forward so your head and neck are extending over the water on the far side of the kayak. Try to get your body centered on top of the kayak before the far gunwale has time to rock up very much.  Then roll over on your side and sit up.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 10:15:25 PM by pmmpete »

Thanks Pete.  I was very vertical and you know I knew in the back of my head I was supposed to be horizontal but didn't know the consequences.

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
  • Hobie Tandem Island, Hobie Outback
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
Thanks guys.  I ended up with a few stitches.  Hopefully I can get back on the water tomorrow evening this time without incident.

I going out on CDA for Smallies this afternoon/evening. Putting in at Higgens Point launch, fishing in Blue Creek Bay. Say hi if you see me
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Said the water rat.  The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame,

I figured out what busted my lip.  Look how I have my knife mounted on my vest the bottom is pointing straight up and this NRS knife has a glass buster on that end.  It lines right up with my lip.

I remounted it sideways and practiced reentry while kicking and staying horizontal and the results were much better tonight.

I'm fishing Micah bay out of luthehaven Brit. So I guess I'm too far away.  I'll be out again tomorrow evening at Micah.  What am I fishing for?  Any tips?  I'm just winging it.

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
I figured out what busted my lip.  Look how I have my knife mounted on my vest the bottom is pointing straight up and this NRS knife has a glass buster on that end.  It lines right up with my lip.

I remounted it sideways and practiced reentry while kicking and staying horizontal and the results were much better tonight.

I'm fishing Micah bay out of luthehaven Brit. So I guess I'm too far away.  I'll be out again tomorrow evening at Micah.  What am I fishing for?  Any tips?  I'm just winging it.

Where you are at there, is good for Pike and Smallmouth Bass. Also panfish. I like to slow troll. You could troll or cast along the weed edge. There is also a drop off that goes from 5ft to 25ft that runs from the boat launch area across to the dock in the photo behind you that is worth trolling/casting. I may swing by there tomorrow afternoon. I'll look out for you. I have an Outback the same color as yours with training wheels on it. Haha.
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Said the water rat.  The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame,

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod

I checked the weather forecast. The next few afternoons are forecast to be windy with strong gusts up to 31mph. So I wouldn't recommend getting on the water till the wind forecast is better.