Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:32:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Whiskey Gulch 7/3-7/6  (Read 1764 times)

SwansonSilver

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
So about a month ago my cousin Chris calls me up and says he wants to come to Alaska to do some fishing. He is thinking charters, combat fishing etc. I briefly explain the kayak fishing and he buys plane tickets the following day for him and my brother. They leave it up to me to organize everything. I call up Wilderness way and reserve their outback and PA for the entire trip. There isn't any drysuit rentals that I could find on the peninsula so I reserved 2 drysuits from Alaska Outdoor Gear Rentals. They dropped the suits off at the Anchorage airport which was pretty handy. Plan A was to fish WG, and if the weather got bad take a water taxi to eldridge passage in homer for rockfish/halibut. They arrive in Kenai on the 2nd, and we are on our way to Homer the next morning. (camped at a friends property in Homer)

Day 1: Weather was perfect, caught the outgoing tide. They are instantly blown away by the performance/stability of the Hobies. Until they got here they had pictured paddling sea kayaks. Fishing starts heating up once we hit about 40' of water. My brother Jeremy catches the first fish of the trip, 20lb chicken, and if that's all we caught he would have gone home a happy man. Nothing like that first fish out of a kayak. We continue to catch chickens then Chris's rod doubles over and he tells us he's hooked something much bigger. He gets it reeled up and it's bigger than anything I've caught. I harpoon it and we get it bled and loaded onto the PA. Ends up being a 60 lber. We end the day with 5 fish and some huge smiles. Then off to Alice's champagne palace for some live music, beers, and burgers. Highly recommended.

Day 2: Weather perfect yet again....catch the incoming tide. Much slower fishing, end up with 2 chickens. Trolled for kings along the beach with no success. Still a great day but they realize they aren't as badass as they thought on day 1.

Day 3: Yep, weather is fantastic...caught the outgoing tide in the morning a little later than I'd hoped but still ended up with 4 nice fish.

Day 4: Last day and the weather couldn't be better...up at 430 am. We troll for kings again with no luck. Oh well, we head out to deeper water and try to put ourselves over the spot we pulled in the 60lber. We get about 1/4 mile from that spot and the fishing heats up. Catch a few nice chickens and then Chris hooks up into another biggie. Weighs in at 45 lbs. We end up limiting out and head to the beach one final time.

All said and done we put 115 lbs of fillets in the freezer. They said it was the trip of a lifetime, I'd have to agree. Wish I had a gopro but I got a few decent pictures. Thanks to Alaska gear rentals/Wilderness way. Nice gear, great service, and affordable. Now back to real life.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 01:43:21 PM by SwansonSilver »
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga except I get to kill something.
-Ron Swanson

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
SUH-WEEEEET!!!!!

Awesome catch, great photos!!!
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Lawngjohn

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jan 2016
Very nice! Looks like a great trip for you guys. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

dudemandude

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
awesome!! that water was great!!!

easyyakker

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: May 2016
Sounds like you guys got into some hot fishing. Maybe the action has picked up a bit. I talked with a guy coming in Saturday (the 7th) and he said he had caught a lot of fish and had lost a couple bigger ones. I was just salmon fishing. Didn't catch any, but saw several taken.

AOGOR

• Alaska Outdoor Gear -Outfitter and Rentals
  • Herring
  • Alaska Outdoor Gear -Outfitter and Rental
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Looks like you had a great trip. Glad we were able to help!!!
AUTHORIZED DEALER: Vibe Kayaks; Necky Kayaks; Old Town Kayaks ; Malibu Kayaks; Yak Attack; Yak Gear; EGO; Stohlquist

www.alaskaoutdoorgearrental.com
https://www.facebook.com/AlaskaOutdoorGearRental/