Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:04:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:44:22 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 03:27:21 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 15, 2024, 07:27:41 AM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

[March 29, 2024, 08:19:21 PM]

[March 29, 2024, 08:17:12 PM]

by Spot
[March 29, 2024, 03:34:50 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Silver Lake (Cowlitz)  (Read 4594 times)

Alyssa

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Apr 2017
Wow, that's quite a catch on 2lb line. I'm not even sure that I could tie knots with 2lb line. I have enough trouble with 6lb flourocarbon that I don't want to go smaller even for a few leaders where 4lb might be better. I'll need smaller fingers if I ever do go smaller than 6lb flourocarbon. Maybe I can bribe my daughter to tie the knots then.  ;D

I don't even know if having smaller fingers helps. I relined my ultralite yesterday and had to retie about five times before I had an acceptable knot. It can be a pain tying, especially in a kayak. But if you can outsource most of the tying to your daughter, that's the way to go. :P

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
I'll be taking a non-outdoors dad and his son fishing the end of August, they live in Olympia.  Plan on showing them (they will be in a Malibu XL 2 Plus) a variety of small jigs, live and rubber worm set-ups,  etc. so they get an idea of different baits.
Even if it's not great that time of year, I'm assuming we can get some action and more will be better even if it's smaller. Right now I'll plan on Silver Lake unless someone has a better thought for this type of crew in the Oly area.  I'm quite a bit north and don't fish that area much. 

JasonM

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
So how much longer do we have to wait before we can go catch hundreds of fish a day in the canals here? I think my daughters would love to do that. They were overjoyed at catching seven rainbows in a little over an hour at a local lake, and the kayak worked great with all three of us in it (see here for pictures).

Trident 13

• Salmon
JasonM, I've been watching the calendar as well.  I have a non-fishing dad with a son who REALLY wants to catch some fish.  They live in Oly and I'd drive them down to fish out of my Malibu II+ while I fished out of the Trident.  Normally I'd love to investigate this on my own, but I only have 1-2 shots with the young fellow and want to hook him up.  I've attached a map with a 1 and 2 and would appreciate any suggestions for one or the other.  Are folks putting in at the Silver Lake boat launch or Streeters?  These will be first time kayakers in the Malibu tank and while it's very stable, I'd like to reduce paddling distance if possible for them.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, I'm leaning toward 10-14, weather permitting.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 12:09:46 PM by Trident 13 »

uplandsandpiper

If you call Silver Lake Resort ahead of time you can usually arrange to launch at their little launch. Streeter's is also an option and is a short paddle.

The fish should be in there now but may be at the heads of the canals rather than far ends.

Trident 13

• Salmon
Upland, Really appreciate it. I need to help this dad get some fish for his son. We’re at least 10 days out which should help. Will try streeters launch as I might end up towing them lol.

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
If you call Silver Lake Resort ahead of time you can usually arrange to launch at their little launch. Streeter's is also an option and is a short paddle.

The fish should be in there now but may be at the heads of the canals rather than far ends.

I was curious about that since it would be nice not to have to paddle a little shorter distance. 

Trident 13

• Salmon
As the weather for crabbing is just a bit unpredictable and on the exciting side, but I still have the Saturday pass with my wife tied up (not literally), Silver lake is the new target. 

That's to some help from Upland, if you look at the picture above, I plan to try the area in the #1 circle, the northern tip.  His video toward the beginning of the thread is really good.

It's a 2 hour drive for me, so I'll plan to launch about 9:30 - 10 and will be in a white camo trident 13 if anyone is interested.  Hoping there's some big schools of crappie and perch in there as well as a bluegill or two.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 02:06:05 PM by Trident 13 »

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
There's also carp and smallies in the lake. Try staying away from the "cabins" to the northwest. Not always a nice welcome there.
By all means use the resort launch. They are very kayak friendly, theres bait and food snacks right at the launch and your shorebound stuff doesnt get messed with while you're fishing.,
Try the southwest corner weed beds for crappie and bluegills.
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Alyssa

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Apr 2017
Towards the end of September (the 20th, I think?), I went out and just fished in the area right off to your left when you launch from the WDFW ramp and I don't think I took more than five casts the whole time I was there without catching something. Caught a few small bass, but mostly crappies in the 9-10 inch range. Was the most fun I had all year and even took three home and had a nice, little fish fry.

Hope to hear updates on how the fishing is now! I started grad school, so I haven't had much free time so that was the last I've been out, but if the fishing is hot I may have to make some time...

Trident 13

• Salmon
Those in Western WA know the weather was frisky at best on Saturday.  It was a two hour drive down and I nearly turned around when I saw crows walking north on I-5 to avoid the wind and rain.  But, after getting warned several times about breakins at the WFG I gladly paid $5 to have my car watched at Streeters.  They provided great information (please patronize if possible) and the grandson even gave me on of his favorite jigs.  I returned with a good tip for the guide service and tucked it along side it's identical cousins in my small box.
It was a short paddle through a quiet canal despite the wind, but the rain was serious.

No huge fish but the stories aren't exaggerated based on my experience.  If you made a cast and didn't have a hit something was wrong.  Small white jigs (1/32 if you can) about three feet down from a bobber.  I can many after sitting the rod sideways on my lap to use the stringer. 

Have friends coming in later this week and wanted enough filets for a good fry.  Kept 10 crappie 10-11 inches, maybe 25 reasonable sunfish/bluegills and half a dozen reasonable perch.  No casting was actually required and a bamboo pole and small jig would work fine as I was vertical jigging right alongside the kayak and doing fine.  Water was just a bit murky. 

So, get there if you can, and I'd recommend Streeters, but also have nothing again the other site named in the pictures...

PS, I've tried to rotate the 3 sideways pics to get them to show upright, but no luck.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 07:35:47 AM by Trident 13 »

Trident 13

• Salmon
I just checked with the Silver Cove Resort and and $16 and change you get a day pass to fish off their bank if you have kids or others that don't fit in the kayak.  You can see on the map I posted earlier where shore folks were and a decent cast can cross the canal, so aside from not being able to vertical jig, you can catch plenty right from shore.  It's what I wanted to find for my non-outdoors dad with a son who really wants to catch a fish or 30, lol.  Great place to take someone to just have lots of action.
Small white jig of 1/32 to 1/8, or I'm sure a fly with a small sinker 6 inches above it would be just as good.  A bare hook with a strip of porkrine and you'd be baited for the day.  If you haven't fished panfish before, I like a #8 or #6 (6 is bigger) thin wire hook with about a 5/8 " long shank.  That makes it easier to grab the end of the hook to release what you don't catch without injury.  Some guys suggest turning the brb of hook outward a bit to increase chances of a hookup, but I never bother.  Have fun.

Trident 13

• Salmon
Had a good three days. Friday a friend and I stopped at silver cove resort on silver lake by st Helens on the ways south. Paid the $16 to bank fish for several hours. Wasn’t as productive as mid October, but we got plenty of crappie and perch for a good mid-West fish fry. 4 lb test on ultra light gear is fun. Small micro jigs. Cast across the small canal with a slow retrieve about 2 feet deep.  Drop to 4 feet and mostly perch then. Boaters we’re doing even better toward the end of the canals. A few sunfish as a bonus. Pm if you want any more details but a great place to take a young/beginning fisherman.
A fish story teller would say the leaves are 6-7 inch but we got a limit of crappies >9 inch limit and there’s no limit on perch.
Nice change during slower times. Would be a fun kayak fish derby for the heaviest stringer.

Trident 13

• Salmon
Tried Silver Lake again Saturday.  Pretty interesting how the fish have moved.  We put in at Streers and paddled a mile or so through the canal to the place we fished last by Silver Cove Resort.  Pretty surprising to not see a single person/boat in that area.  Two of us were paddling the tandem Malibu XL 2 plus and fished for an hour with NADA. We paddled past a young mom and daughter walking and she mentioned everyone was fishing on a canal on the other side, so around we went. 

The canals are dredged and it's 4 feet deep 1 foot off the bank and maybe 5 in the middle of the 40 foot wide strip.  You had to be near the end to get into fish but we then did fine.  Our best bait was very thin white gulp worms on a 1/32 ounce jig.  Had to add split shot so the bobber barely floated.  Pull it an inch and if it bounced ever so slightly, give a quick test.  Limit is 10 over 9 inches, most of what we kept were 10+.

Also, for the first time in a life-time of fishing got checked by a really nice warden.  He talked for a bit, mentioned it was good we had our PDFs and then asked if we had our licenses, and were they in a place they were easily accessed.  mM friend in the front was sitting low in the water and it was the first time in the Malibu tank it wasn't overly stable).
I could reach mine behind me in the pocket of the seat and flipped it to him.  Checked it over while offering some other lakes, commenting we were using what most were and never asked for the others license (good because it was back in our car at Streeters).

It's a 2 hour drive from Kent and you can pay $16 to enter Silver Cove resort and fish off their banks.  Great place to take new fisher people.  Watched one dad giving advice to about 7-8 year old daughter who dialed in casting and could drop a cork within a few feet of the bank across the canal.  Not like a fight in the salt and not as wild as it was about thanksgiving, but we have a good fish fry in the planning.