Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:52:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:48:07 AM]

[Today at 08:10:08 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

by PNW
[April 17, 2024, 03:57:54 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Green Can  (Read 5934 times)

micahgee

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
I haven't been out much this summer and decided to go out to the green can yesterday to fish around the low slack.

When I got out there I was the only one so I was worried but it seemed worth trying. A boat came over and immediately got a bite in front of me which was encouraging. Another boat showed up soon after. I made a tackle change per the advice of the first boat. 2.5oz. White wilson dart was the lure of choice.

After jigging for a while I got a solid bite but it spit the hook right next to the boat. I saw both boats catch keeper kings, hid my envy and kept right on jigging. Right as the tide began to flood I got another bite but I didn't set the hook fast enough. Frustrating but I realized that I was being too gentle with the fish and needed to put the wood to em to keep the barbless hook buried.

Within a few minutes I got another bite. This was no jack and started peeling line and dragging me around. I got it up to the surface and saw the white jig contrasted against the dark water. The white jig went zooming just under the surface. The fish did not want to give up and made numerous runs and dives. Finally, the plump hatchery hen slipped into the net and I couldn't contain a bit of joy in the form of some hooting and hollering.

Thanks to all who shared the info about this fishery!
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

www.heroesonthewater.org

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Nice fish, better story. I'm going to try launching at lurh aunch at 11 am Saturday and fishing an hour past low slack at about 2:30. I'm going to bring som bacon and try for stray flounder after limiting :-)))
Pm if anyone is interested otherwise look for a white camo trident 13

Trident 13

• Salmon
My plan is to fish the can on the afternoon low tide with a launch closer to 12 PM and fish to 3 PM or so.  Will have a small supply of bacon to try for some flatties on the way in...gotta give it a shot, maybe no oil is needed in the pan for this variety?
Just an FYI, if you have a two pole endorsement you can use them both in this area.  Forecasting a 7 MPH wind and I might have a coyote spoon over the side fluttering along mid-depth as I jig away.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 09:42:34 AM by Trident 13 »

Trident 13

• Salmon
Followed the plan all but for catching keepers. Seem to be a lot of shakers hitting at slack tide. Have never had that many harbor spotted seals around me, it was like a cattle stampede. Two other yakers I didn't know. At least 1 fish for them that I saw.   Good paddle good scenery.  The fishing really switches around when the tide changes.

jamesmarsh

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
I'll be headed out at about 2:30.  short notice i know but hopefully we get a couple :)

Will trade oral favors for fish.

Trident 13

• Salmon
If you here of anyone missing some rods and gear that were left at the launch Saturday about 4:30, a fellow picked them up and gave them to the research group that was having the fund raising down there.  A couple of yakers I don't know took out while I was coming in and likely set them aside but the fellow who found them said they had been there for a little bit.  If someone did loose them I'd try the:

Nisqually Reach Research Center
4949 D Milluhr Rd NE, Olympia, WA 98516   
nisquallyestuary.org   
(360) 459-0387

jamesmarsh

• Perch
Swing and a miss today.  Out there with all the other boaters.  Didn't see anyone catch anything either.

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Bit of a tangent here but same location.
For the Hobie drivers; have any of you ever went UP the river from the mouth without paddling?

I've taken my T15 up river as far as the military crossing but am wondering if it's even doable with a peddle drive.
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

jamesmarsh

• Perch
Bit of a tangent here but same location.
For the Hobie drivers; have any of you ever went UP the river from the mouth without paddling?

I've taken my T15 up river as far as the military crossing but am wondering if it's even doable with a peddle drive.

I'm not a Peddler but I wouldn't recommend it. too many underwater logs and rocks that you won't see until its too late.