Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:34:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Kayak Advice  (Read 2281 times)

wetwhopper

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
Hey guys, it's been awhile since I've posted so... "Hi." I have two young lads 10 and 12 years old and under 90 lbs. who think they want to start kayak fishing with dad. They are looking to use their hard-earned chore $ to go in on a pair of OK Yak boards in lime green. The boards come with plastic seat backs and paddles. They are in excellent shape and they are stackable. We mostly fish the Ocean Shores jetty, Hood Canal and some local tidal streams and lakes. What do you guys think? Can they fish and crab off of Ocean Kayak Yak boards for the next couple years??? The owner is asking $500 for both. Is that a reasonable price?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 07:14:30 PM by wetwhopper »

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Welcome Back Rich. Good to hear your sons are picking up the sport.
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

wetwhopper

• Rockfish
Thanks buddy. It will be fun to have some other guys to fish with over our way. One of these days I'm going to force my self to make the drive and do the Rockfish tourney and meet some of you guys. Lol.

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011

Hey wetwhopper,

You don't have to wait until next year to meet and greet a bunch of NWKA folk.
  Keep an eye out for the Slammin' Salmon Derby coming up in October at Hood Canal. Certainly not as big an event as ORC--- but it is a lot of fun catching big-ol ugly dogs for some always awesome prizes. Plus it might be a good place for your kids to get wet. Just a couple of years ago--- everyone got wet as the weather got knarly. Still it was tons of fun. Keep it on your radar.

It is always entertaining to put names to faces to find out if what you thought a person looked like was correct or not. Sharing ideas about fishing and rigging and setting up future plans is always happening at these events too. Make it happen and expand your horizons.

ps      your fleet has only started to grow
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

wetwhopper

• Rockfish
Thanks Mark. That sounds like a lot of fun. I got to take my eldest boy to Sekui on the boat a few years back and did the trifecta. He got his first king but had the most fun slaying the dogs with his buddy. Thanks for the invite. We have it marked on the calendar.  :)

Hydrospider

WW,  If you have the chance to let the boys paddle the yak boards it might be helpful before they make that purchase. I have time surfing those boats and wasn't a huge fan. I thought that they paddled like a big frisbee and not much fun except for riding waves. They are a very low volume boat and cannot support much weight when static , like when someone is trying to fish. A flush mount rod holder might be a tough project too. Not trying to be a negative Nancy but I might suggest something with more volume. A used Mini-X or maybe even a Malibu 2 if they would be interested in a tandem.
Good luck.

Found one photo of myself on the Yakboard. Can't blame this stack on the board though. Clearly operator error.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 03:20:54 PM by Hydrospider »

wetwhopper

• Rockfish
Thanks for the "heads up" Hydrospider. We decided to pass and are looking at adding another Mini-X to the fleet (we already own one). This will give me an excuse to buy a 13' kayak. Thanks again.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Thanks for the "heads up" Hydrospider. We decided to pass and are looking at adding another Mini-X to the fleet (we already own one). This will give me an excuse to buy a 13' kayak. Thanks again.
The only excuse you need to buy a kayak is.... it's for sale at a great price!!!! Just don't tell TLW  >:D

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

wetwhopper

• Rockfish
Lol. I like your style...

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Lol. I like your style...

Watch out wethopper. that dude will corrupt your mind.(in a good $$$ way)
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

Hydrospider

Im glad that you chose not to spend their money on boats that they may not have enjoyed. The Mini-X is a much better choice for fishing and they can continue to use them as they get bigger. The Mini-X can be fun to ride waves on too, if they ever have interest.

I found another yak board photo. This is Moto, from Team Bridgeport, riding a humble wave circa late 90s.

wetwhopper

• Rockfish