Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:38:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: West Coast Giant Pumpkin Regatta  (Read 1604 times)

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I think you all ought to skip kayak fishing on October 21 to participate in the West Coast Giant Pumpkin Regatta in Tualatin.  The webpage is at https://www.tualatinoregon.gov/pumpkinregatta , and there is a lot of good YouTube video about the Regatta.  See, for example, .

(For some reason the YouTube preview isn't showing, but you can see the link if you click on "quote," and then can copy and paste it into your browser.  Does anybody know how to make the preview appear?  Somebody else had this problem with a post a couple of days ago.)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 06:25:08 PM by pmmpete »

JasonM

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
The video is showing just fine for me. I don't think I have the paddling skill to win that race, possibly not even complete it. :)

Ranger Dave

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
That looks like a blast, Pete. I can't imagine a pumpkin weighing over a thousand pounds, :o but I guess if its large enough to contain an adult sized person, they must be pretty substantial. The rules probably exclude external mounting of accessories, but thinking a rudder might be a great addition...just saying. ::)
Retired Army - 67N/67V/67R/15R

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Last week on the way into work, I saw a flatbed Ford pulling a flatbed car hauler trailer. They had one huge pumpkin on the truck and two more monsters on the trailer. There wasn't enough room for any more on that load.

I guess I could assume where these were going.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

no_oil_needed

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Relax. You'll live longer.

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
No rod holders?

sure, just poke another hole in the shell...   pull a lure with lots of drag and it might even act as a rudder for your "boat"  ;D
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
my co-workers used to run a team for this event, they said there is definitely a special technique to get them going and not flip them.  Don't want to fall out, that water is a nasssssty duck pond.

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
posted a link to it on my Farcebook page and now my sister wants to drive down with me and join the spectators...  Sounds like a fun Saturday (assuming I get the kitchen pass of course)!

Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
my co-workers used to run a team for this event, they said there is definitely a special technique to get them going and not flip them.  Don't want to fall out, that water is a nasssssty duck pond.
You could carve thigh braces and foot braces on the inside of the pumpkin in an effort to get more control over what looks like a pretty unwieldy water craft.  And you could carve out as much of the meat of the pumpkin as you could, leaving a relatively thin shell, so the pumpkin would float higher in the water, have less water resistance, and be less likely to roll over upside down.

I wonder if you could Eskimo roll a pumpkin?  You'd need some kind of a spray skirt so you didn't fill it up with water.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 11:14:19 AM by pmmpete »

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Pete, always appreciate the comments and technical suggestions, lol, but maybe this time, just a little over engineering:-))))  The fact they float alone without breaking is pretty impressive.  That said, a thin piece of sheet metal 1'x1' stuck near your butt would help unless you went under butt first, as many of us might...maybe curl/roll one end and insert through the inside :o

anything