Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:53:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Shilshole/Meadow Garden 12-3-17?  (Read 7725 times)

• Date Registered: Oct 2017
Just a one-flounder day for me.  Admittedly could have fished harder but first day out with the new electronics and did a lot of paddling around staring at the screen instead but not a lot of action regardless.  Brought the sabiki rig and like clockwork, the huge herring balls from the week before moved on.  Great meeting everyone as well and glad to be a part of Team T13  ;D.

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
Smoke and I worked in a short session 4-6 today at Golden Gardens when we saw a small weather window that lined up with end of work and the slowly improving daylight. Both jigging, I tried smaller point Wilson dart in Pearl then switched to one of the butterfly jigs. Smoke stuck with a green/white/chrome crippled herring I believe.

Did some drift jigging from near the sea wall beyond/deeper than marina entrance, blown out towards end of beach then paddled back. Got a little windy so not ideal, but each of us hooked nice fish and lost them after good fights. Mine was starting to tow me around at end, felt bigger than the fish I have been catching up to now, probably 24" +.

Odd timing and short window but nice to get out. Not as fishy as times past but could be due to a number of things. Regardless there are salmon out there!

gnomodom

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Yeah, the weather hasn't been promising for weekend jaunts. I'm considering taking a day off after this system blows through. It should be calm winds then.

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Looks like there will be a few hours of fishing Saturday am before the tide drops 10 feet. That also looks (lol) like the best chance for sun and low wind. Might make the bay ok so I’m tentatively planning an early launch off the beach in the park. Thinking about a few hard hours of jigging to see if the fish have gown just a bit. Feeling a little lucky after fillet a nice bunch of crappies last weekend.
Yell out if there’s any interest. I’m a 95%er at this point.

Nice to see the goal of going to school on these winter blackmouth developing pretty well. Plan on trying some Dawn Patrol techniques.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 10:03:23 PM by Trident 13 »

Trident 13

• Salmon
Will be switching to Sunday off the Garden vs Saturday. Little longer period from dawn to the big low tide starts and it’s the middle of the three day sunshine group.

I'll likely be out one of the weekend days, leaning Sunday as well. 

Trident 13

• Salmon
Hope to see ya.  I'm starting to pay attention to these areas in the NOAH charts
https://maps.ngdc.noaa.gov/viewers/bathymetry/

You have to play with the chart and on the left side I turn off everything except the color button.  If you move the cursor around you get depth and GPS coordinates.

Seems like we get more hits in these areas.  I think #4 is the dragon and those are two sunken boats at the bottom in the lower area.  Just fun to track areas.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 12:03:26 PM by Trident 13 »

JasonM

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
How was Shilshole Bay today? I was hoping to be out there bright and early this morning, but some issues with my wife's car ended up with us buying a car last night. That prevented me from doing any prep last night, and the forecast was saying that the wind would be rough by the time I got everything ready and got to the water late this morning. I hope you guys loaded the kayaks with fish. :)

Trident 13

• Salmon
It was a bit chilly at 0dark30. . Before the wind jumped up I got to see what
smokeondathewater looked like in a Trident 13.
Saw lots of bait but could not hook up. Tried herring for the first time in a year or more and A nwka fellow in a PB came by and said they had one on a spoon like I typically use. Go figure. Wind came up pushing us hard to the south with a big tide heading north. When I quit I had a 4 oz dart almost planned off 200 feet down stream.
Felt a bit nervous as I loaded up watching a guy pumping up a Folbot type inflatable to go out with his daughter. She had a down coat and ski pants and he had golf rain pants. I asked him twice if he was sure he wanted to go out, and he was determined. I suggested they paddle through the marina and he thought they might, but he wanted to head to the green buoy. Hope all went well.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 08:48:14 AM by Trident 13 »

heyoo its good to see the setup from that angle every once in a while  ;D

I should have gotten there earlier when there was seemingly more bait and calmer conditions.  It was also my first day out with herring this year and the wind/current didn't help to dial in much today.  Had some swivel issues as well but these are the learning days.   

Swapped to a 4oz PW dart as I started to slowly paddle in along the marina, hit a pretty good fighting ~24" wild fish, one undersized clipped fish maybe pushing 20", and a couple of big head shakers down low that popped off on the way up that I did not get to see.  70-100 FOW, sun shining near noon.

Had almost all the right things happen but still waiting to tick that keeper blackmouth for the year...

I watched those folks in the inflatable wondering if they were going to venture out further and they stayed pretty close to the beach.  Good thing too because those waves were getting large out there and the wind made the paddle back in a real pain.

Trident 13

• Salmon
I tried going in close to the jetty earlier w/o any action. Wonder if you were in bait when you had some action. I wasn’t seeing any life in closer. Glad you hooked up with fish of any kind, nice job.  You looked good out there. If I had put my net up we’d have been closer to twins as I have the same one. I kept it down to reduce the sail effect. As I was loading up a gal stopped said mine looked just like the one way out there lol. Good to know about were you did hookup. Thanks.

Selous Scout

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
I got out a bit late I think compared to you guys. Maybe 12:15? Lots of white caps out there but I decided to give it a try. I saw tons of bait in about 150-200 FOW about due west of the Golden Gardens Bathhouse. Not much in the way of fish arches that I could see around the bait. I did see some but they were scattered.

By about 2pm I called it quits as the waves were getting pretty intense. I launched from the boat launch and interestingly I saw some pretty good marks on the fish finder just inside the marina.

Likely was in some bait but the finder wasn't marking much down there when I did hook up.  Still trying to learn the settings/reading the unit.

Trident 13

• Salmon
I couldn't quite see your FF.  I'm learning more about mine, a Lowrance Elite 4-HDI.  If that's what you have I'd be happy for a meet up sometime and try sharing what little we might know.
If a "pro from dover" joined in I'd buy a brew if they were dialed in.  Down south towards Sumner the Half-Lyon would let us bring a kayak with battery hooked up inside but that's a bit of a hike for you.  My cables are fixed in the yak.  If your FF or someones could be fired up, we could use the simulator inside somewhere.  I'm functional at seeing bait and the bottom, but would appreciate any help with the sonar/downscan overlay, and even plotting way points, etc.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 03:51:16 PM by Trident 13 »

I'm using a Simrad Go7 XSE but it uses the same totalscan transducer as some Lowrance units so I imagine readings are going to be same/similar between the two being Navico companies and all.

anything