Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 08:02:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:03:47 PM]

[Today at 06:04:24 PM]

by jed
[Today at 04:56:16 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 03:57:54 PM]

[Today at 09:43:36 AM]

[Today at 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Crabbing Newport  (Read 1340 times)

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
I was thinking about hitting Newport tomorrow afternoon or possibly Friday afternoon.  Anybody know if you can still launch from Idaho Point? Google says the park is permanently closed.

Open invite if anyone wants to brave the rain and join me.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I've never launched from Idaho point, as I don't crab that far up the bay. 

Instead, I've beach launched several times from the Hatfield Marine Science Center parking lot.
Just park anywhere in the lot below, roll your gear over the edge, and down to the little beach. 
Paddle out of the cove area and out into the channel.  It's just a short hop, skip and a jump to shoot up the bay towards Idaho Point if that is the area you wanted to crab in. 

See the map below for the parking lot I am referring too.
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6238751,-124.0436933,240m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Thanks man that would work.

Probably a nicer neighborhood than the abandoned park. I.P. was a run-down turd show when it was open. Nothing like a giant snarling rottweiler charging straight at you and clotheslining himself at the end of a rusty chain to get your blood pumping before a paddle. :-) 

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
Launching from the beach next to HMSC is an excellent suggestion.  That's where I put in.  I crabbed there on Dec 17th,  got 11 right by the two piers,  not as big as RogerDodger's haul but still okay.
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Thanks man that would work.

Probably a nicer neighborhood than the abandoned park. I.P. was a run-down turd show when it was open. Nothing like a giant snarling rottweiler charging straight at you and clotheslining himself at the end of a rusty chain to get your blood pumping before a paddle. :-)

I drove down to I.P. once to see about getting in the mud during a minus tide for clams.  The old Geezers that walked around there kinda gave me the heebee geebeez so I just park in the lot I posted above, and then walk around the corner from the Hatfield Marine Science Center along the path to the west side of the NOAA Fisheries Enforcement building to get my Cockles. 

If you get there when the tide is right, you can watch the smaller 1.5" Cockles jumping about 2 feet at a time to get around.  They are usually really white and awesome cooked straight on the fire grill till they open.  Yumm!

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

O. mykiss

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
My brother in law and I caught 14 nice size dungies in front of the OSU docks today on chicken and fish carks in about 20-25 fow. We launched from the beach near NOAA. Very nice launching point, I highly reccomed.