Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:15:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Missing kayak crabber- Seaside :-(  (Read 5024 times)

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
RIP dude. Wear your pfd.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2018/01/kayaker_search_called_off.html

Authorities have stopped searching for a Tualatin man who was last seen crabbing from his kayak near the mouth of the Seaside Estuary.

Matthew Manley, 42, was reported missing around 2:45 p.m. Monday. Local police and fire-and-rescue officials joined the Coast Guard to search for the man, but were all unsuccessful.

Esther Moberg, spokeswoman for the City of Seaside, said the Coast Guard called off the search around 1:20 p.m. Tuesday, citing "survivability factors" including the fact that Manley was reportedly not wearing a life jacket.

Previously, the city had warned that water temperatures were around 50 degrees, and that hypothermia can set in quickly. The city reminded those in and around open water to use extreme caution.

The city has asked anyone with more information about Manley to call Seaside Detective Guy Knight at 503-738-6311.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Jammer

• KayakFishingOregon.com
  • Sturgeon
  • Kayak Fishing Oregon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
So SAD! Please wear your PFD!
• Stohlquist • Team Daiwa • Yakima Bait Company

2015 Hobie Fishing Team "Top Gun"
2012 Hobie Worlds Team USA - 19th place
2012 Oregon Rockfish Classic – 1st place
2010 Oregon Rockfish Classic - 1st place
2010 Cape Dis. Dungie Tourney - 1st place

KAYAK FISHING OREGON
www.youtube.com/jmrischer

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
At 2:45pm that ebb tide would have been screaming yesterday. Not a good time to be near the mouth of any estuary.

dberd

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
 Shit ,RIP brother
" History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man"  BOC

Ranger Dave

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Well, shit....I was searching online for a used drysuit, and decided to check the NWKA classifieds. Logged on, and this article (timing is everything) was one of the posted, "Recent Topics" - RIP brother.
Retired Army - 67N/67V/67R/15R

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
It's a tragic reminder for all that cold, wind, current, tippy kayaks and things that have the potential to stick to the bottom all add up to some serious planning. 
No way to understand what happened to this poor fellow and my sympathies to all.

A caution to new kayak crabbers, I've found it's a good idea to make sure the pull is away from the kayak.  Pulling a rope going back under the kayak is a recipe for a quick flip. 

If the wind/current is strong, approach so you can keep the pull of the rope on the same side as the trap and watch the line as you coil it.  Roger has a great demo video, but I don't recall there was much of a current or wind when he did it and that adds a new wrinkle that can change things in a second.  Just make sure you can let go and not have the rope hung up on something on the yak. Again, no idea if this was an issue, or other PPE, but it's something to be aware of.

Roger added a much better post below. Approach from below and pull yourself up to the trap until you lift straight up to free it is a good picture to keep in mind.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 07:15:10 AM by Trident 13 »

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
It's a tragic reminder for all that cold, wind, current, tippy kayaks and things that have the potential to stick to the bottom all add up to some serious planning. 
No way to understand what happened to this poor fellow and my sympathies to all.

A caution to new kayak crabbers, I've found it's a good idea to make sure the pull is away from the kayak.  Pulling a rope going back under the kayak is a recipe for a quick flip. 

If the wind/current is strong, approach so you can keep the pull of the rope on the same side as the trap and watch the line as you coil it.  Roger has a great demo video, but I don't recall there was much of a current or wind when he did it and that adds a new wrinkle that can change things in a second.  Just make sure you can let go and not have the rope hung up on something on the yak. Again, no idea if this was an issue, or other PPE, but it's something to be aware of.

crabbing from a kayak should be taken very seriously, I am very sad this man lost his life.

I always approach from 'below' the trap with regard to the current and wind, so I am pulling myself towards the trap, which acts like an anchor on the bottom, until I get over it and start bringing it up.  In fact, the last trap that I pulled up on Monday had moved and caught on some rocks, I recognized this as I was right above it, dropped the rope I was coiling in my hands but held the float, got back on the pedals and maneuvered around to pull it back from what it was hooked on, it came lose and I got it back.  With the tide moving fast, in a situation like this, if you got the rope hooked on the boat or under it, bad things could happen real fast.   

roger
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Someone was swept off the beach near Brookings this afternoon. Rough start to the year:(

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Every year in Netarts during Spring break I go crabbing and every year I see a bunch of ignorant folks (they are by definition- I am not trying to be rude) in kayaks wearing t-shirts and sweatpants. Sadly, the majority are kids.  It makes wonder about the parenting. They look at me weirdly because I am "overdressed" with my PFD and dry suit.  The currents in those bays get ripping. I am surprised this does not happen more often.

surforegon

• Lingcod
  • cannonbeachartz.com
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
I heard someone found his kayak. Sad.
Prowler Big Game 2, Hobie Outback,  Eddyline ultralite 12'               2016 junk jigs: Never seen that before. Second place.
2016 junk jigs: Most likely to be used as evidence in court. second place.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
crabbing from a kayak should be taken very seriously, I am very sad this man lost his life.

I am sad too, roger.  It seems that many people who lose their lives out there didn't need to die, and that's a tragedy in itself.

I'm gong to give crabbing a try this year.  Thank you, and Trident13, for a very valuable tip on recovering traps.  I'll be more cautious - and safe - because you shared your knowledge.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
would like to know, but am guessing other than no pfd he also was not wearing any kind of immersion wear? in short i`d like to know what the hell happened.  so sad, so preventable? why would someone go out there with no pfd? if it takes a law with huge fines for one to do so maybe that should be done. we have to wear seat belts so why not. no pfd, no go...period.

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Or, why go out alone. I am not saying you shouldn't, unless you are inexperienced, then I am saying you shouldn't. Heavy objects, ropes, strong currents, and deep water can spell disaster very quickly.    I assume he had no radio to call for help either.  Truly sad and most likely preventable.