Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:10:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Mmmm flounder today...  (Read 2968 times)

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Went out and chased flounder today out in front of Gig Harbor, drifting along between 35-55 feet depth, using old expiring hotdogs for bait.  I lost count after a while, but at least a dozen of ‘em made it to the side of the boat.  I ended up keeping 6 good ones, they will be dinner tomorrow in one form or another!

Anyone ever try them in the smoker?  Seems like a bunch of youtubers smoke them whole, about all they do is descale them.

After I got back to the launch, I put the new dry suit thru field testing and jumped in 😳 47F can feel a little brisk when done like that...  Suit stayed dry, insulation was adequate for a while but each time it felt darn good to get back up in the boat.  Self rescue was pretty easy under these conditions, but I’m sure it would be harder with lots of gear out and in windy wavy settings. 

All in all, a great day.  I love having some catching to go along with the fishing!
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

MolonLabe41

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
Nice work! Take any pics of the catch?

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Nice work! Take any pics of the catch?
Photos or it didn’t happen  ;D

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Rox, when some met Sunday night we talked about a flounder shootout.  Could be by Point No Point (which has a great launching area), Nisqually, Camano Island or near you.  Nothing complicated or official, just kind of a fun little winter fishery that could even have a fish fry if we wanted.  Send a PM if that's of interest.

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
No, no pics I'm afraid...  I was too busy just having fun, and then I forgot to snap a cellphone pic of the stringer when I beached at the lighthouse park to gut the keepers.  I'm still pretty certain it did happen, even though it may have been in my own personal reality!  ;)

A flounder shootout sounds like fun. 
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
They were delicious. 😁
Salt, pepper, lemon juice, and a sprinkle of Johnny’s, grilled for a few minutes each side.

Jim

Trident 13

• Salmon
Upper middle class flounder!  Have never tried grilling them whole but will after seeing those. Nice job.
I would assume you could lightly bread and fry them in a fryer on the beach if there was interest in a flounder shootout party.

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
Way back in hte dark ages when I were but a wee lad, we'd catch up a mess of 'em and just pan-fry them in a cast iron skillet, salt & pepper & a little butter.  My mum didn't recall ever worrying about breading them... 

I did 3 of these 'open-face'  ;) on the grill on a sheet of heavy-duty grilling foil, and 3 wrapped in foil packets.  Both methods turned out dam near perfect.  Medium heat, 3-4 minutes on a side, flip carefully once and serve.  Meat just slips right off the bones and onto the ol' taste buds...   ;D

schrudds

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jan 2017
Went out and chased flounder today out in front of Gig Harbor, drifting along between 35-55 feet depth, using old expiring hotdogs for bait.  I lost count after a while, but at least a dozen of �em made it to the side of the boat.  I ended up keeping 6 good ones, they will be dinner tomorrow in one form or another!

Anyone ever try them in the smoker?  Seems like a bunch of youtubers smoke them whole, about all they do is descale them.

After I got back to the launch, I put the new dry suit thru field testing and jumped in [emoji15] 47F can feel a little brisk when done like that...  Suit stayed dry, insulation was adequate for a while but each time it felt darn good to get back up in the boat.  Self rescue was pretty easy under these conditions, but I�m sure it would be harder with lots of gear out and in windy wavy settings. 

All in all, a great day.  I love having some catching to go along with the fishing!
Sounds like fun. I am interested in giving this a try.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Big Whiskey

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
Stop! - don't fry them or even try to grill them.  Way too soft for that.  Keep fish on Ice all the way home, then fillet them, keep skin on, bread them, and bake. 

Super delicate fish.  Taste great.  Family love them.

LifeasJPM and I are fishing for them tomorrow at Nisqually. Tag a long anyone.

Malarkey07

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Jan 2016
Fishing Nisqually Delta sounds like a blast. Never fished it myself. How are the currents out there? Anything a newbie salt water kayak fishermen ought to be aware of in that area before heading out? Any areas in the Delta that are not aloud to fish?

Trident 13

• Salmon
First it's in area 13 and you can use two poles if you paid the extra $$.  There's a launch on the West side of the delta that is a bit hard to find but google it and siri will take you there.  It's pretty shallow all the way across the delta and then by the "Green Can" buoy it drops off sharply.  Currents will sweep through pretty strong on a big tide day but the flats are not bad.  Some fish on the East Nisqually river side that brings in fresh water and bait.  Be cautious about going toward I-% in some of the delta areas at high tide as it gets shallow or muddy when the tide goes out.  Do some Green Can searches and you'll find some great reports on flat fish and salmon in the area.

Widgeonmangh

• Lingcod
  • Fishing Kayaks of Gig Harbor
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Launch is Luhr Beach.  Watch the big tidal exchange + wind.  Also watch the North wind with outgoing tide.  The waves can get nautical.  :)

I duck hunt the area so I have been out there is some really nasty weather tide combo meals.

Most of the time it is a pretty chill area.   Deep water is past the poles but the flounder can be found in water 15+.
Fish on the right side that's where the fish are! John 21:6

I am no longer a dealer for Wavewalk but if you ever want to paddle one let me know!

Widgeonmangh

• Lingcod
  • Fishing Kayaks of Gig Harbor
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Just curious for those who regularly catch and eat these fish.  My experience is that they often carry a high parasite load (worms!).

Filleting them allows me to see them and cut that out.  How do you see them if you keep the skin on or cook them in the way that I am seeing in the pictures associated with the thread?

Fish on the right side that's where the fish are! John 21:6

I am no longer a dealer for Wavewalk but if you ever want to paddle one let me know!

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
I saw a few that were visible thru the skin, sliced them out.  These guys were small enough I wasn't worried about missing anything major.

anything