Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:37:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Neah Bay/Hobuck  (Read 6466 times)

Sturgeon General

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Is there a current thread on the Halibut opener May 11th & 13th?

Guppy Tamer

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2011
If not,  there should be!

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Lol, looks like Mothers Day weekend, great timing.

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
I will be camping there and am looking forward to it.  Will need to get flowers for my wife before I leave  ;D

On a side note- why is halibut talk on this website so taboo? I understand that it is dangerous and we don't Want people who are unprepared getting hurt. However, I think it would be best to have an open forum where we can discuss halibut fishing and the safest ways to accomplish it.

2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
On a side note- why is halibut talk on this website so taboo?

Alright, sweet, here we go!  :banjo:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 02:37:58 PM by Captain Redbeard »

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon

I am not trying to open up a can of worms. Just am thrown off by how open people are about all other species. I recall their being an accident a few years back and can umderstamd that people don't like to bring these things up. even if the thread is safety focused I think many people would get a lot out of it.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon

I am not trying to open up a can of worms. Just am thrown off by how open people are about all other species. I recall their being an accident a few years back and can umderstamd that people don't like to bring these things up. even if the thread is safety focused I think many people would get a lot out of it.

I'm 100% in favor of you asking the question and bringing it up. I have opinions but no direct experience so I'm just looking to learn too.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon

Jimbob45

• If you don’t take that first step to the next adventure, you’ll never go anywhere.
  • Herring
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Lmao .. great read right there!
Hobie outback
Hobie Pro Angler

1st  2018 Chum Derby
1st 2018 AOTY 1966 pts

jed

• ORC_Safety
  • Salmon
  • With a But like mine, you'd want to flaunt it too.
  • Date Registered: May 2014

Casey

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015

My thoughts exactly, Captain Redbrard! This cracks me up.

Casey

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
I will be camping there and am looking forward to it.  Will need to get flowers for my wife before I leave  ;D

On a side note- why is halibut talk on this website so taboo? I understand that it is dangerous and we don't Want people who are unprepared getting hurt. However, I think it would be best to have an open forum where we can discuss halibut fishing and the safest ways to accomplish it.
Fun topic!
Great question, Zach. Sometimes it’s seems like people are more than willing to bust balls about safety, but not so willing to give specific advice when it comes to halibut fishing other than just saying not to go unless you go with someone who has already gone.
I haven’t caught halibut since I’ve had a running boat and it’s driving me crazy. Hopefully this is the year. Even just getting out and learning more/getting closer to catching a near shore halibut from a kayak would be somewhat satisfying. Hopefully we are blessed with good ocean conditions during the opens and get to try our luck.

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I don't know neah bay, never been there, bucket list item for me for sure.  If you are ever on the south coast I'm down to go hunt for one with you.  No depth restrictions, retention opens on May 1, closes October 31 or whenever quota is met, whichever comes first.  Last year quota wasn't met even after central coast took half our season quota 2 weeks before rockfish was shut down. 

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

MurseStrong

• Lingcod
  • 2009 OK T11 2016 Hobie Revo 13 2018 Hobie Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013

Halibut fishing from a boat, much-less a kayak, is a more extreme version of the sport of fishing for many reasons I won't go into. Halibut are over-fished, becoming more scarce, and their meat is a prized, expensive table fare. One fish can feed a household for the year. For these reasons & many more Halibut fishermen historically are protective of their knowledge & resources surrounding their pursuit.
Now addressing locations, simply said Hobuck is an isolated and sacred place that most people would like to keep that way. Moreover, many of the members on this site have a strong history with emotional & spiritual ties to this specific location. Unfortunately, most of the time conversations surrounding halibut fishing on this site tend to include this specific location.
Personally, I've been fishing and researching our OR inshore halibut fisheries & drifts along the Pacific coast for many years. I would be interested in having a conversation about the nature of these fish and how to predict their behavior in hopes to find them closer to my home grounds & safely time my trip accordingly. I doubt this type of Halibut talk would be taboo or offend anyone...
If You Know The Answer, Ask Bigger Questions

"You are killing me, fish, the old man thought. But you have a right to. Never have I seen a greater, or more beautiful, or a calmer or more noble thing than you, brother."
-The Old Man and the Sea

anything