Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:44:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Crabbing between the storms.  (Read 1353 times)

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
while we enjoyed gale force wind and rain all weekend, I kept an eye on Monday and headed for lower CoosBay to crab and fish for lings:

second pot up, still during strong outgoing tide, that ProMar is loaded.  Check that horizon.  Can you say 'secondary stability?"  Love my Oasis.

tossed back anything under 6" or even slightly soft, 3 in my limit were 7"+. 
I fished hard for lings, with herring and squid, right through the extended low slack but they were a no show.

2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
WOW,    way to go Roger, especially this time of year.
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Nice crabs! Hard to believe it was calm enough for crabbing/fishing just a day after, but that water sure looks calm.   
After watching the waves north of there Saturday and Sunday we decided to head for home Monday. Waves were regularly washing over even the finger jetties inside the main jetties at Yacquino at Newport.  We did hit a good run of IPA's in that area.
This was more of a scouting trip for me. We walked out on the north jetty at Garibaldi Monday about noon and talked with several fishing from the south side of the north jetty, but no luck.  A whale was cruising inside between two PB's trolling for salmon.  Watched folks on the north side of the north jetty fishing and catching perch in the surf.  Water inside the jetties was pretty brown.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
Nice crabs! Hard to believe it was calm enough for crabbing/fishing just a day after, but that water sure looks calm.   
After watching the waves north of there Saturday and Sunday we decided to head for home Monday. Waves were regularly washing over even the finger jetties inside the main jetties at Yacquino at Newport.  We did hit a good run of IPA's in that area.
This was more of a scouting trip for me. We walked out on the north jetty at Garibaldi Monday about noon and talked with several fishing from the south side of the north jetty, but no luck.  A whale was cruising inside between two PB's trolling for salmon.  Watched folks on the north side of the north jetty fishing and catching perch in the surf.  Water inside the jetties was pretty brown.

as yes, there are some good IPA 'holes' in that area.

CoosBay stays clear down low in all but extreme flooding conditions, there were nice 'surf worthy' rollers breaking just down from me, 2 people on SUPs playing in them for a while.

hard to believe but my crab count for the year is now 44 (ocean, Siuslaw, CoosBay), all from the Oasis.  I have observed 2 things about crabbing estuaries this time of year:  bait prep is very important, not like summer when you can toss in some chicken right from Safeway.  you need a good scent trail or you will be pulling up lots of empty pots.  Related to that, the crabs distribution is spotty but really dense in spots.  Some pots come up with just a couple small ones, then not far away, a pot will come up just loaded with big males.   

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Nice haul there Roger!

I don't know if there is any exact science to back this up, but I have experienced lock jaw with fish when there is a healthy change in barometric pressures from an incoming or out going storm.  I can see fish in good quantity on the fish finder, and probably hitting them in the head with my lure, but they j-u-s-t  w-o-n-'t  bite.   

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

• Date Registered: Feb 2009
Sweet haul!

Fred "True" Trujillo
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
Nice haul there Roger!

I don't know if there is any exact science to back this up, but I have experienced lock jaw with fish when there is a healthy change in barometric pressures from an incoming or out going storm.  I can see fish in good quantity on the fish finder, and probably hitting them in the head with my lure, but they j-u-s-t  w-o-n-'t  bite.

I agree for sure on the weather effecting bite, I've seen that with our fall chinook for sure.   

My experience with near-ocean bottom fishing, in this case just in from the jaws of the bay, the rocks and lings, especially lings, seem to come and go, whether it's the tides, baitfish (haven't been any in this area recently, weather, or just random, some days they just don't seem to be around.  Lings are not easy to spot on sonar but the days that I am hooking them, I usually am also seeing some long fishy responses on the sonar near the smooth sandy bottom.  Other days not seeing them on the sonar or hooking any. 

I have never really fished off a jetty but my hunch is this might hold true there also, some days lings are around to play, others just not around.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Nice haul there Roger!

I agree for sure on the weather effecting bite, I've seen that with our fall chinook for sure.   

My experience with near-ocean bottom fishing, in this case just in from the jaws of the bay, the rocks and lings, especially lings, seem to come and go, whether it's the tides, baitfish (haven't been any in this area recently, weather, or just random, some days they just don't seem to be around.  Lings are not easy to spot on sonar but the days that I am hooking them, I usually am also seeing some long fishy responses on the sonar near the smooth sandy bottom.  Other days not seeing them on the sonar or hooking any. 

I have never really fished off a jetty but my hunch is this might hold true there also, some days lings are around to play, others just not around.

And that is why we call it "fishing", and not "catching".   ;D

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

anything