Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:03:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Salmon - to bonk or not to bonk, that is the question  (Read 1945 times)

Kyle M

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I never bonk salmon because I want them to bleed out as much as possible. Once in the kayak, but not yet out of the net, I get them on a stringer. Then cut the gills. I know a bonk may just stun them, but never really know how hard to hit them to prevent their heart from stopping. Sometimes I see guys deliver skull crushing blows. Am I the only one that doesn't bonk salmon?

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I never bonk salmon because I want them to bleed out as much as possible. Once in the kayak, but not yet out of the net, I get them on a stringer. Then cut the gills. I know a bonk may just stun them, but never really know how hard to hit them to prevent their heart from stopping. Sometimes I see guys deliver skull crushing blows. Am I the only one that doesn't bonk salmon?

I don't bonk any of my fish for the same reason you just mentioned, including salmon.  Once they are on a stringer, they are mine and get bled with the full force of their pumper pushing as much blood out as possible out.  Makes for the cleanest fillets IMO.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012

I deal with my salmon just like you have described.
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
You're definitely not alone with your method.  One they're in the net, I'll typically keep them in the water as I cut a few gill rakers.  Let them bleed out as I arrange my stringer.  By the time they're on the stringer, I'll re-assess the amount of blood being pumped out, and will keep them in the water until the blood flow dissipates.

I usually only use a bonker on lingcod and halibut.  The ones that tend to come alive even after they've lost all their blood  :D.
aMayesing Bros.

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011

I usually only use a bonker on lingcod and halibut.  The ones that tend to come alive even after they've lost all their blood  :D.

Bonker is usually necessary with lings to settle the argument in our favor.  I keep hoping I can get out for salmon so I can experiment with the necessity of bonking them.
2012 ORC 5th Place

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012

Bonker is usually necessary with lings to settle the argument in our favor.  I keep hoping I can get out for salmon so I can experiment with the necessity of bonking them.

Brain spike works pretty nicely to quiet them down.

http://www.ikijime.com/fish/cod-ling/

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
It's been a long time since I've had this dilemma.

MurseStrong

• Lingcod
  • 2009 OK T11 2016 Hobie Revo 13 2018 Hobie Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
I'm a huge fan of putting my fist to some salmon face for stunning purposes, especially if they're feisty & im in some hairy conditions. Theres nothin like the sound of putting the smack down on some salmon cheeks! Their heart and gills are still pumping but they're  much more cooperative.  Unfortunately there are  sea lions or harbor seals most places I fish so I'm usually weary of leaving the fish in the water for very long. I'll thoroughly cut all the gills on one side and I like to express the blood by holding the tail with one hand & milking along the back from tail to head. All this glory talk is getting my heart racing!
If You Know The Answer, Ask Bigger Questions

"You are killing me, fish, the old man thought. But you have a right to. Never have I seen a greater, or more beautiful, or a calmer or more noble thing than you, brother."
-The Old Man and the Sea

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
I'm somewhat slow and clumsy, so I bonk em every time to get em under control...one good whack usually does the trick; then immediately bleed, blood still flows, even spurts sometimes.
"If your hands ain't bleeding, you ain't fishing hard enough!"

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
+1 for MurseStrong, just not with a fist as I've had to paddle back in :laugh:

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008

Brain spike works pretty nicely to quiet them down.

http://www.ikijime.com/fish/cod-ling/
That's what I do when spearfishing (lingcod, cabs & Rf).
http://www.ikijime.com/fish/rockfish-black/

anything