Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:51:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: How do you save your landing net  (Read 6753 times)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Not long ago, I lost my mind and did a manual yard sale when I threw both my pole and my net overboard, and it wasn't even much of a fish.

I've been debating putting leash on the net or some kind of floatation to be prepared for my next moment of insanity.  I'm not a fan of leashes and only use a paddle leash but I don't want the net to float away on the river's current, either.

How are you keeping your net safe and secure?
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

nomas

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
I leash the rod in my hand....sometimes. Since I’m picking it up and putting it down so much, etc. The leash I use is long and usually doesn’t bother me.

I slide a pool noodle section over a section of net handle, which does keep a net floating, however I still managed to leave it lying on the ground when taking out of the Willy a few weeks ago. Pool noodle really let me down there.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Tinker, I really put some thought into this and found that if I cut the sharp parts off my fish hooks, I never have a problem losing my net.

It really works, and I highly advise that you should adopt my method of keeping the net safely in the net holder.

;)

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
I leash my net to the kayak using a small retractable dog leash like this one:

https://mightypaw.com/products/retractable-leash?variant=7329706803251

2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
I have found that they float for about two seconds before they sink so I don't bother with a leash.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Pool noodle..... works fine ;D

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I leash the rod in my hand....sometimes. Since I’m picking it up and putting it down so much, etc. The leash I use is long and usually doesn’t bother me.

I slide a pool noodle section over a section of net handle, which does keep a net floating, however I still managed to leave it lying on the ground when taking out of the Willy a few weeks ago. Pool noodle really let me down there.

I don't leash rods - although the whole toss-everything-overboard yard sale started when I let one get away from me, so I may need to reconsider that strategy.

Pool noodles - 1

Pool noodle..... works fine ;D

Thank you, Mojo.

Pool noodles - 2

Thank you, roger.  How do you attach it to the net?  My nets don't have a convenient hole at the end of the handle (like every cheap broom handle does) to use as an attachment point.

Dog Leash - 1
Pool Noodles - 2

I have found that they float for about two seconds before they sink so I don't bother with a leash.

This isn't a payback for the Bill Engvall thing, is it?

Let It Learn To Swim On It's Own - 1
Dog Leash - 1
Pool Noodles - 2

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Tinker, I really put some thought into this and found that if I cut the sharp parts off my fish hooks, I never have a problem losing my net.

It really works, and I highly advise that you should adopt my method of keeping the net safely in the net holder.

;)

Now this is a strategy I can get behind!  And since I'm always fly-fishing, I can get rid of the hook altogether!  Just tie a random feather to my leader and eliminate the snags, too.  Excellent advice, as always.

Surrender - 1
Let It Learn To Swim On It's Own - 1
Dog Leash - 1
Pool Noodles - 2
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 02:23:18 AM by Tinker »

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I don't leash a net, don't even have a floaty on it, so I'm from the "let it swim" club. 

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012

Thank you, roger.  How do you attach it to the net?  My nets don't have a convenient hole at the end of the handle (like every cheap broom handle does) to use as an attachment point.

I drilled a hole across the shaft so it is just exposed with the net in the rod holder, put a nylon zip tie through the holes and tighten appropriately, trim excess, click dog leash to that.  nothing to get caught up in the rod holder.  cheers, roger
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I don't leash a net, don't even have a floaty on it, so I'm from the "let it swim" club.

Thank you, Ms. fish.  It's now -

Surrender - 1
Let It Learn To Swim On It's Own - 2
Dog Leash - 1
Pool Noodles - 2
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 10:30:48 AM by Tinker »

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I drilled a hole across the shaft so it is just exposed with the net in the rod holder, put a nylon zip tie through the holes and tighten appropriately, trim excess, click dog leash to that.  nothing to get caught up in the rod holder.  cheers, roger

Thank you, roger.  I'm glad I asked!

Even if his is the simplest solution, were I to ignore INSAYN's suggestion and decide to leash the net, I most likely would have forgotten about the rod holder and drilled the hole at the bottom of the handle.  Duh!

JasonM

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
Add another to the pool noodle total for me for any bigger fish. In a local lake where there's likely nothing bigger than stocked rainbow trout, I use a little floating wading net with an elastic leash that I sometimes actually use. For any trips with bigger fish, and any trips in salt water, I take a bigger net with a slide handle. It has a piece of pool noodle on it that is long enough to fit on the section of handle that's still exposed when it's slid up into the net when it's in the garage or whatever vehicle I'm using to transport it. Once I get to the water, I slide the handle all the way out and slide the noodle up to the hoop of the net so that the other end of the handle can fit into the rod holder on my kayak.

I learned here to have a big, cheap net with a pool noodle and no leash if I'm going to be in salt water or any rough water for likelihood of a tip over is higher. I can't imagine that I couldn't catch up to it once I'm back in the kayak if I really want to as long as it floats. If I still happen to lose it, I'm sure Wal-mart will be happy to sell me another net and another pool noodle on the way home. :D

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Pool noodle fo sho!

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Add another to the pool noodle total for me for any bigger fish. In a local lake where there's likely nothing bigger than stocked rainbow trout, I use a little floating wading net with an elastic leash that I sometimes actually use.

Thank you, Jason.  Now how do I grade that?

Surrender - 1
Let It Learn To Swim On It's Own - 2.5
Dog Leash - 1
Pool Noodles - 2.5
Already Leashed - 0.5

Pool noodle fo sho!

Okay, thank you.  And now we're at:

Surrender - 1
Let It Learn To Swim On It's Own - 2.5
Dog Leash - 1
Pool Noodles - 3.5
Already Leashed - 0.5