Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:27:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Hobie Mirage Compass questions  (Read 2551 times)

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
Hi All,

I'm closing in on getting a pedal kayak, and the Compass is the front runner. I like the shape, the weight & size, and the simplicity. Hoping to get some input and advice on a few bits from the crew here as I have never owned a Hobie or a pedal kayak.

For background I primarily fish on Puget Sound, chiefly targeting salmon, and truck bed my kayak. I get out about 120 days a year, and tend to work in a lot of early morning and evening sessions, as well as 6-8 hour rallies. I am typically putting in in spots where I have to work the kayak over logs or a sea wall. Efficiency and simplicity suits my current style. I also have a 75# 10 year old who has his own kayak, and sometimes I'll bungee tow him when trolling (quite a workout).

I was leaning towards the Outback, then thought that the rudder design would get in the way of towing cleanly. While looking at that, spoke to a guy who had just bought a PA and said he had gotten a second seat for the back, which got me thinking about the option of having a seat/camp chair for the kiddo. So I tested out the PA14, it felt like total overkill for what I do especially size and weight-wise. Went back to look at the PA12, then took a closer look at the Compass. Although it's not nearly as tricked out, it has the right feel and has the basics I'd need as well as easy to customize.

Here are a couple of questions I have:

- Thoughts on functionality of plunking a kid on a seat behind my seat? I saw some examples on YouTube, looks doable and looks like enough space. It would be a 10-20% of the time mode so doesn't have to be perfect. I'm 185# so we would be well under the 400# limit. Would love to hear if anyone has experience with this. Also, any regs to be aware of for Puget Sound?
- Handles/grips for picking up the Compass (located inside just ahead of or mid-seat) are pretty weak. But for solo hauling it over logs, rocks etc that's where I'd need to grab it. Thinking of installing a short H-rail bolt on kit (either 9" or 21") on one side same location as grips as an improvement. Strong enough? Other consideration?
- Am planning to upgrade to 180 drive at purchase (dealer will swap with price bump). Thoughts on turbo fins for this model? I do a lot of trolling
- Speaking of trolling, downrigger. I currently have the mini Scotty Laketroller. Works ok but am thinking of switching to the 1050 Depthmaster. Looks like room to mount the 1010 mounting bracket behind the seat, but that doesn't look like a great spot ergonomically. Anyone have experience mounting it with the current layout (or possibly a mod)?

Beyond that thinking about adding a rectangular storage hatch later, moving the round one up front. But am planning to wait on mods beyond the ones listed until I have spent some time in it and have a good feel for where stuff wants to go. And want to keep it light.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom, insight, advice. And comedy always welcome!

Tom

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I have several different Hobies but recently I have started a love affair with my have a Hobie i12.  Previously I had only used it on a trip to Alaska, and for dropping a couple crab pots in Nehalem Bay while camping.  Where it shines though is that I can strap another kayak seat down in the rear.  My 11 year-old is about 92 pounds and I am about 200 pounds.  He likes to kick back and watch the scenery and let me do the work. I am good with that. It works real well, but the weight capacity is 500 pounds vs the compass's 400. We are back to back to keep the weight centered.  If you are still wondering about the Outback, these two fat asses (JK) had no problems making it a tandem.  ;)

Also Turbo fins are well worth it. I wish that was an option at purchase.  Hobie sucks in that aspect. I have a drawer full of worthless (to me) standard fins and masts.  Even my skinny as a rail 13 year old can run an Outback at top speed with turbo fins for short sprints.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 02:00:22 PM by craig »