Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:05:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Kayak preferences  (Read 1730 times)

Zackonayak

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Jun 2018
 First and foremost hopefully this is in the right spot. Was wondering what kind of kayaks y’all prefer for western Washington lakes rivers and occasional in the bay around Olympia area. I am looking at a sit on top for sure. But having trouble deciding which is right. I like the ascend fs128. So I’m leaning that way I believe. Any thoughts and insights would be greatly appreciated.

Zack

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
It all comes down to price vs features and what you expect the kayak to do for you.

In the same price range you might check out the Flint by NuCanoe. I think their development team has done a good job refining their designs over recent years.

If you want to go high end, I think everyone is pretry impressed by the Bonifides that starting shipping this year.

Wilderness Systems and Native have some nice models you can add pedal drives to if that sounds attractive.

The Jackson Mayfly has a nice clean deck if fly fishing is your thing.

If you troll it's hard to beat a Hobie.

I would suggest picking up the Kayak Angler magazine annual buyer's guide and put some time into researching what's out there. Narrow your choices down and contact some reputable shops and do some on the water demos to make sure you are going to get the most out of your investment.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Zack,
Gig Harbor Watersports has models and you can easily test them on the salt water.  Nice quiet bay so wind isn't an issue.  Anyone here will tell you time in the seat is more important that eye candy...
I've paddled and now pedal, both have strong points as well as challenges that require an individual choice.

Zackonayak

• Krill

If you want to go high end, I think everyone is pretry impressed by the Bonifides that starting shipping this year.

If you troll it's hard to beat a Hobie.

I would suggest picking up the Kayak Angler magazine annual buyer's guide and put some time into researching what's out there. Narrow your choices down and contact some reputable shops and do some on the water demos to make sure you are going to get the most out of your investment.

I have been eying the bonafide ss127 pretty hard. But I’ve found a few Hobies used for the same price and would love the mirage drive. My end goal is a Hobie for sure. As for now I’m staying under 1k hopefully.
I’m going to try and find that kayak angler magazine you were talking about. I’ve been looking for something along those lines. Any clue as to where I might locate it?

Zackonayak

• Krill

Gig Harbor Watersports has models and you can easily test them on the salt water.  Nice quiet bay so wind isn't an issue.  Anyone here will tell you time in the seat is more important...

Definitely going to check the shop out. Thank you trident!!

redfish85

• Lingcod
  • sunrise OK Prowler T13
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
Yeah I'm curious as to where I can find those magazines as well or if they're just an online one...

Zack, I agree with trident here about testing some out for sure, I need to do the same to better judge which route I want to take when I do pull the trigger on my 2nd yak. And for around 1k you should have a few decent options, and don't forget to put alittle money aside for mods to your ride as well 😊 and don't forget a good pfd

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Zack, if you go the paddle route, let me know.  I've accumulated a variety of carbon fiber paddles ranging from 220 to 240 that can be adjusted you can try before you buy.  Length and feathering (offsetting the paddles to match YOUR stroke) and the width of your choice of kayak are important.
Expect to spend about $100 for a good kayak fishing PDF and ill fitting ones are miserable.  I'm in Kent but get to Oly off and on, or wiling to meet half way for the price of a brew:-)
PS I’ll buy one back.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 08:08:48 PM by Trident 13 »

showa

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2016
For me, the kayak weight is the most important. can you carry it to and from the water? Next is the capacity especially if you have a big bone and pay attention the over inflated number like old town kayak. It said 450 lbs capacity for predator 13, but I only weight 162 lbs plus trolling motor of 30 lbs in the back plus 40 lbs of battery and I have 1 inch of water in the back well.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 11:52:37 AM by showa »

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Don't ask questions and stop reading!  Go sit in a bunch of kayaks until you find the one that seems to fit.  I'm on my fifth kayak now because all the recommendations and all the slick magazine articles had me looking in the wrong direction four different times, and one of those four mistakes was a pedal drive (Hobie) - which aren't bad boats, but they don't compliment the way I fish.

Just go demo some kayaks and see how they feel.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Zackonayak

• Krill
Don't ask questions and stop reading!  Go sit in a bunch of kayaks until you find the one that seems to fit.  I'm on my fifth kayak now because all the recommendations and all the slick magazine articles had me looking in the wrong direction four different times, and one of those four mistakes was a pedal drive (Hobie) - which aren't bad boats, but they don't compliment the way I fish.

Just go demo some kayaks and see how they feel.

I’m definitely not basing everything off this. Have been sitting as well just getting more research doesn’t hurt

Zackonayak

• Krill

...and don't forget to put alittle money aside for mods to your ride as well 😊 and don't forget a good pfd

I’ve figured that into my budget already lol. That’s why I’m not going too crazy!!!