Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:31:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Sucia Island '09  (Read 20365 times)

bjoakland

• Salmon
  • Piscis Venator
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
See this post for initial information....
http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,2389.0.html

So, good news!  I spoke with the Park Ranger at Sucia Island today, and we have a green light!  With the very helpful assistance of Ranger Ted Schlund. I have made reservations for the group camp site (small non-refundable reservation fee covered!).  The site is the Echo Bay group camp site and is located on the narrow bit of land between both Shallow and Echo bays. I've reserved all sites (8 I beleive) and the group shelter as well.  Each camp site and the shelter cost $12 per night, payable on site.  There are other camp sites available if our numbers require them and they aren't occupied.
 Ted said that launching from either sand beach is an easy option as the distance between them is less than 100 yds. My understanding is that there is a college group moving out the day of May 1st, and that we have the only reservations on the island for that weekend, at least so far.

Map Link:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Sucia_Island_Map.png
•• If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~ Doug Larson ••

bjoakland

• Salmon
  • Piscis Venator
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I"m all in.  I'll be there one way or another!  I'd like to formally reserve a spot on HGH's mothership (lemme know my share of the costs).
•• If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~ Doug Larson ••

deepcolor

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2008
Awesome!  Good work on the reservation.  You have the ideal spot with easy access to both sides of the island.  I like to fish the West and Northwest side of the island which is just outside Shallow Bay.  It's literally just a couple of minutes from your camping spot to a nice rocky dropoff outside Shallow Bay which bends to the North.  It's on my calendar too.  I'll be in Shallow Bay (weather permitting) on a Sea Ray Sundancer 260 that belongs to my Dad.  We'll be coming out of Anacortes.  Let's talk when we get closer.  I'm pumped.
...as soon as the Advil kicks in...

Yakker

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
HBH, have you got room for a Pygmy kayak "Coho" --approx. 17'- marine plywood, not plastic.  Wanted to see if my ride would fit before making final reservations.

And you and the group plan on leaving on Friday out of B'ham?

Just trying to get some details for the wife.

Rob.
There is a thin line between hobby and insanity.

HBH

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
i am still planning on it...leaving friday may 1 and returning sunday may 3 in the afternoon...slip c45 blaine marina...i have carried 4 kayaks on the front (bow) of my boat before and i assumed we could fit 2 more on the rear cockpit as needed...Rob, i believe the 17' pygmy would fit on the bow, i have a 16footer that works except i dont know how "delicate" the finish on your yak is...mine is plastic so idont care if it gets rub marks on it...we could use some foam and try to lash it down carefully so it doesnt scratch? i dont know how fussy you are about the varnish...i am including a pic of the PB so you can see for yourself how we can fit kayaks on it...i typically place one on either side inside the rails and two more on the front deck sitting loose (tied down so they dont blow away) and i think we can get two more over the rails on the back deck lashed down.  i am planning on sleeping on the boat and there is room for two more pretty comfortably...i am planning on bringing my dinghy to use to shuttle back and forth to the beach as needed...this is going to be fun!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 02:52:42 PM by HBH »

yessnoo

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2008
I'm in...I would like to ride on the boat if there is room...I can split cost with the rest of the group...I will bring a tent though so I won't be sleeping on the boat...Any thoughts on approximately what time you would be leaving friday...morning/early afternoon/or evening?

This is gonna be awesome...I sure hope the weather isn't too crazy
2008 Hobie Mirage Revolution Fish

deepcolor

• Salmon
As if you needed any more help getting fired up...I dug through my Sucia photo archives and put up a few good pics of the area.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 06:28:21 PM by deepcolor »

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
That sounds like waaaay too much fun! I've built up the WAF, but I've just plunked down my entrance fee for the Jacksonville Classic and I missed the last one. Y'all should have a really good time!
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

HBH

• Lingcod
i was thinking about leaving friday late morning?...am i safe to assume this is a bring your own food event?

deepcolor

• Salmon
No food.  Just salt, pepper and lemon.  ;)

yessnoo

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2008
Ya i would imagine it would have to be a bring your own food event...hopefully we can catch some fish to fry up though

also do you know if there is anything on the island...i mean do they have water or ice or anything like that

2008 Hobie Mirage Revolution Fish

HBH

• Lingcod
water yes, ice no, pit toilets, no power, picnic shelter yes, remote and primative yes, peaceful and quiet yes, gorgeous yes

i will plan a bringing some firewood to cook ling?

Yakker

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
i dont know how "delicate" the finish on your yak is...mine is plastic so idont care if it gets rub marks on it...we could use some foam and try to lash it down carefully so it doesnt scratch? i dont know how fussy you are about the varnish...

Not to worry about the finish- its got plenty of scratches already with lots more to come.
I too will be bringing my food and planning on camping on the beach.  Probably be a good idea to bring a cooler with plenty of ice as well.  Glad to hear there is water available. 
So, add my name to the official passenger list and I'll be in touch as it gets closer to THE day.
Thanks again,   Rob.
There is a thin line between hobby and insanity.

HBH

• Lingcod
yakmonkey, yakker, yessnoo, HBH, deepcolor, lemon, salt, pepper,

who else?

i sure hope it gets warmer!

SilverKing

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I just bought a new Outback and Im really excited about Sucia, fishing up there is awesome!!!