Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:05:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Battery box with SAE two pin panel mounted connector  (Read 5028 times)

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Many battery chargers use a SAE two pin connector, which is a connector which is designed to resist exposure to the elements. (See first picture below.)

I have made a battery box which connects either to my fish finder or to a recharger with a SAE two pin panel mounted connector.  (See second picture below.) It's easy to make, easy to use, and protects my battery connections and fuse from the elements.  I purchased the Outdoor Products dry box at Walmart; it's inexpensive but good. Be sure to include a fuse in the battery box to protect your electronics and their wires from a short someplace in the system.

Here is what the SAE two pin panel mounted connector looks like.  (see third picture below.)  I bought this connector for $5.00 from John Drake Services, Inc. (www.solarseller.com); see http://www.solarseller.com/low_voltage_dc_pumps__lvm__teel__accessories__plugs_and_extensions.htm .   They may also be available at local recreational vehicle or trailer dealerships.  However, I prefer panel mounted connectors on which both leads are black, because on this connector the red and black leads are the reverse of what you need to connect to a battery charger, so I needed to connect the positive terminal of my battery to the black wire on the connector.  This isn't obvious unless your charger has red and black or red and white wires.  The negative or neutral wire coming from a charger may be marked with a line or a rib.

Put Goop or Aquaseal on the back of the SAE panel mounted connector before you bolt it to the waterproof box to seal the holes you drilled in the box to mount the connector.

You can buy the SAE two pin plugs which you need to connect your fish finder to the battery box at any auto parts store.  Remember that with any pair of SAE two-pin plugs, the bare connector on one of the plugs will go to a red wire, and the bare connector on the other plug will go to a white or black wire.  Be sure that the positive wire from your battery goes through the panel mounted SAE connector to the positive wire to your fish finder, and that the positive wire from your battery goes through the panel mounted SAE connector to the positive wire to your charger.

A nylon strap with a buckle makes a convenient handle for the battery box. (See the fourth and fifth pictures below).  You can also use the strap to hold the battery box in place inside your kayak. (See the sixth picture below.)

I soldered the wire connections and covered them with heat shrink tubing.  I squirted Goop or Aquaseal inside the heat shrink tubing before I shrunk it.  I use slide on connectors on the battery terminals so I can remove the battery easily.  There's no reason to put goop on the battery terminals, because the connection is protected from the elements by the battery box.  I put dielectric grease on the SAE two prong connectors and the battery connectors to protect them from corrosion.  It also makes it easier to connect and disconnect them.

Update, June 2017:  I've been using this battery box for the past year, am completely happy with it, and have made a second identical box. (See fifth picture below.)

« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 08:41:49 AM by pmmpete »

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Does an SLA battery really require a waterproof battery box?   What about venting - I thought batteries needed to be vented - is that some remnant I recall for regular lead acid batteries?

Can an SLA or AGM battery be positioned in any orientation during discharge and charging?

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
Does an SLA battery really require a waterproof battery box?   What about venting - I thought batteries needed to be vented - is that some remnant I recall for regular lead acid batteries?

Can an SLA or AGM battery be positioned in any orientation during discharge and charging?
The battery itself is waterproof, but a battery box protects the battery's connections from corrosion, being knocked loose, and accidental shorts, protects the fuse and its holder from corrosion, and provides a place where you can stash a couple of extra fuses.  The SAE two pin connector also makes it real easy to connect and disconnect the battery from your kayak.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013

No, b2fish, batteries that are not lithium-based do not need a waterproof box, but all of the bits-and-pieces, like the battery's spade terminals and the butt splices can (and will) corrode when exposed to water.  I know from past questions I've asked that some folks use dry bags to hold a battery (ala INSAYN), some use whatever the manufacturer provides (i.e. Ocean Kayak's battery bag), and some folks forgo a waterproof container and just GOOP the heck out of the terminals.  All those methods seem to work for the folks using them.

I don't know if a Sealed Lead-Acid battery can be mounted upside-down - I've never tried it, but I don't see anything about an SLA that would prevent mounting it upside-down.  I've been using an SLA that's been laying on it's side in a box not entirely like pmmpete's for three years without any problems, and it's always on it's side, even when being charged.  With the 2-pin SAE connectors I can plug it into the charger without removing it.

The battery I use does not need to be vented.  I would say that no sealed battery needs to be vented, but it's always best to check with the manufacturer.  Regardless of what the manufacturer said to me, I leave the box's latches open (lid closed but not tightly sealed) when I'm charging the battery.

The two-pin thru-wall connectors are a great idea; they are practically flush-mounts - nothing projects out from the box - and allow me to connect to either the kayak's wiring or the charger without fussing around.  The ones I use have 12 gauge wiring and are made to run wires through the roof of an RV, so the manufacturer includes a neoprene gasket (but me being me, I GOOP the crap out of the plates anyway).

Again, you don't absolutely need a waterproof battery box for an SLA battery, but when you have a good one, folks in the parking lot go "Ooo!" and "Ahh!" and are mighty impressed when they're gawking at you as you rig to launch.  Coolness counts...   8)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 04:15:59 AM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Pete, I noticed your battery charger shown is a 750mA charger.  Can SLA batteries be charged with a 3A or even a 10A auto charger?  I'm just wondering if there is a benefit to slow charge or if the higher amps cause too much heat?

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
Pete, I noticed your battery charger shown is a 750mA charger.  Can SLA batteries be charged with a 3A or even a 10A auto charger?  I'm just wondering if there is a benefit to slow charge or if the higher amps cause too much heat?
bb2fish, I hope that some members of the forum who are electrical engineers will jump in with lucid and concise answers to your questions, because I don't have answers.  I bought my Genius charger based on a recommendation from a salesman at a battery store, and have been very happy with it.  These chargers appear to have sophisticated circuitry which properly charges and restores sealed lead acid batteries.  It's not just a brute force, charge it as fast as possible item.