Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:20:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Custom iceboxes?  (Read 8227 times)

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
the hull acting like a cooler  ???  more like sauna.  The interior of my kayak gets pretty warm, not a place I'd choose for fish storage unless there was a lot of ice.

You've got a nice mold for the stern area - insulation, cover, add ice, add fish... Nice Job.

LandofRath

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
the hull acting like a cooler  ???  more like sauna.  The interior of my kayak gets pretty warm, not a place I'd choose for fish storage unless there was a lot of ice.

You've got a nice mold for the stern area - insulation, cover, add ice, add fish... Nice Job.

Well I would never put the fish in the interior of my kayak, I was saying to put them in the same place I made a mold of with an insulated lid that covers the area. But that does make me wonder, most standard (Cheaper) coolers are just a compartment inside an outer compartment that traps air in-between them. Does that air get warm? The cheaper coolers do work, and there is not a lot of difference except in the amount of air they are holding. So If I made a insulated lid that sealed to the kayak and tossed in some ice or a blue pack how long would it stay cold. Probably not as efficient do the the amount of warm air a Kayak can hold but is it efficient enough with lets say a frozen 2 liter in there for a standard day of fishing?

There may be just to much warm air for it to be very effective without installing some sort of baffle to cut down on the amount of movable air space. (not a viable option in most of our kayaks) This is just me thinking outloud and problem solving.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 11:38:37 AM by LandofRath »

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
  • Hobie Tandem Island, Hobie Outback
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

Well I would never put the fish in the interior of my kayak, I was saying to put them in the same place I made a mold of with an insulated lid that covers the area. But that does make me wonder, most standard (Cheaper) coolers are just a compartment inside an outer compartment that traps air in-between them. Does that air get warm? The cheaper coolers do work, and there is not a lot of difference except in the amount of air they are holding. So If I made a insulated lid that sealed to the kayak and tossed in some ice or a blue pack how long would it stay cold. Probably not as efficient do the the amount of warm air a Kayak can hold but is it efficient enough with lets say a frozen 2 liter in there for a standard day of fishing?

There may be just to much warm air for it to be very effective without installing some sort of baffle to cut down on the amount of movable air space. (not a viable option in most of our kayaks) This is just me thinking outloud and problem solving.

I'm thinking, coolers have foam insulation sandwiched in the sides and bottom as a minimum. The more efficient ones insulate the lid with foam. I don't know of any that are not insulated except the ones you put the whole thing in the freezer before use. If you fabricated some baffles behind the seat area and injected some low expansion foam insulation, along with the insulated lid you would have a very efficient cooler.
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Said the water rat.  The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame,

LandofRath

• Herring

I'm thinking, coolers have foam insulation sandwiched in the sides and bottom as a minimum. The more efficient ones insulate the lid with foam. I don't know of any that are not insulated except the ones you put the whole thing in the freezer before use. If you fabricated some baffles behind the seat area and injected some low expansion foam insulation, along with the insulated lid you would have a very efficient cooler.

I have had coolers that I cut apart for other projects that simply had a sealed air compartment, and all the ones that had foam the lid had it as well. Non moving air is a good insulator, Foam is better because its many pockets of non moving air.. At least that is how it was explained to me. If you have a degree and tell me otherwise I will not argue since I do not and simply go off what I have experience and what smarter people explain to me.

Now any cooler worth buying now  days will have a foam or something similar inside but cheap is cheap. I guess the bigger question is how efficient does it NEED to be to function for its intended purpose. Again this is just conversation that may lead to experimentation just for fun.  I am still building the insulated icebox that I started.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 03:58:43 PM by LandofRath »

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
how efficient does it NEED to be to function for its intended purpose.

I think only you can answer that.  If it's for day trips, what you're doing looks great.  A few plastic bottles of ice will likely keep it cool enough for a multi hour paddle, but maybe not in the tropics.  KIS becomes important and what impressed me with your project.  Light and removable (in total) would be important.  A light cover that can be easily lifted to slid a fish in after bleeding it would be important.  A top flat enough to carry a crab pot out would be important.  If you're taking steak on a 4-day paddle, you'll need foam lining and maybe a solar battery powered cooler, etc. 
It's a great looking project that looks like it will produce a very functional product.  What you do from here to finish it depends on your definition of functional. 

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
  • Hobie Tandem Island, Hobie Outback
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
Well it looks good so far. I hope it works well for you. Nice project.
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Said the water rat.  The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame,

• Date Registered: Feb 2009
I've been looking at your idea and I wonder why you'd want to cover those scupper holes in the back (although there'd be little water that would seep in between the fiberglass and the kayak to compromise the kayaks balance)? Did you think about having just an insulated reflective tarp over the back that tied down to the eyelets surrounding the recess? You could bend some thin cutting board type material to protect from crab claws or fish spines and sew in the insulation and tarp over it. That way, if you tip, the water would go over the sides but keep the bounty contained...

Just a thought. (Looks at his Hobie Revo...)

Fred "True" Trujillo
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

LandofRath

• Herring
I've been looking at your idea and I wonder why you'd want to cover those scupper holes in the back (although there'd be little water that would seep in between the fiberglass and the kayak to compromise the kayaks balance)? Did you think about having just an insulated reflective tarp over the back that tied down to the eyelets surrounding the recess? You could bend some thin cutting board type material to protect from crab claws or fish spines and sew in the insulation and tarp over it. That way, if you tip, the water would go over the sides but keep the bounty contained...

Just a thought. (Looks at his Hobie Revo...)

Fred "True" Trujillo

The scupper holes will sit about 1/2 inch below the box itself on the front side.. I poured in some hot soapy water to help remove the initial casting, and from the amount I had to mop back up  I can safely say water passed though just fine. The purpose behind the current project is to have a self contained icebox that I can pull as a unit and transport inside without having a mess. Even if i plugged the scupper holes there would be very little water able to fill that small void and not enough to cause any issues.

As for  the other idea which I have not worked on yet. That is the same basic idea that myself and skidplate were talking about earlier except making it a rigid surface. A reflective tarp would work equally as well and may be a bit lighter but a rigid surface that you could mount stuff like your crab pots to would hold up better, tarps would need replaced to often I would think.(And I don't sew) I was shown a post from a few years ago that had a similar idea, and looked quite cool. We will see if I pursue that at a later date.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 09:13:12 AM by LandofRath »

LandofRath

• Herring
I have to make a dump run this afternoon and plan to pickup the insulation on the way back to continue on the project. I  have a pretty solid direction planned for the second half.

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Land, this really looks like it will be a nice fish box and don't want to detract or steal the thread, but first Fred and now you've tossed in a less technical option such as a semi-insulated blanket stretched across that clips to the eyelets as an option.  It would be thin, light and you could still carry a crab trap on top, more or less important to some. 
A horizontal slit right behind the seat secured with a Velcro strap might be easy to reach/open to slide in fish/crab, containing them in the event of a tip but without impacting the scupper holes.  Land is going to end up with a great custom cooler/fish box, but Fred's question and Lands followup for a KIS version of the desired goal is something I'll think over for my smaller Trident 13.  Much appreciated.  And, for a price, my wife does sew:-)

LandofRath

• Herring
That is likely to be the next project but I would make it a rigid lid instead of a sewn one for ease of install and longer lasting. PM'd a link

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
Am I the only one who still uses a wet gunny sack?

LandofRath

• Herring

I use something similar when I am on foot. But that doesn't let me have a fun project to work on in my free time:)

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011

I use something similar when I am on foot. But that doesn't let me have a fun project to work on in my free time:)

The ideas and skills on display on this forum are always inspiring.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I proudly use a $4 burlap sack from Tillamook sporting goods hooked to my big game clip regularly dipped in the water I fish in ind draped across the catch, pull the crab traps last thing and put the crabs in it.  :banjo:

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”