Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:54:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Yeah, it's more fish finder questions  (Read 3553 times)

AndyFishes

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Oct 2016
T13- Looks familiar, huh. Haven't made it down to Bainbridge. It's hard to justify driving that far when I live a couple of miles from the water and I should have a few good months of solid fishing coming up. I guess I talked myself out of it. I did go out yesterday afternoon around slack tide and dropped the crab pots for an hour or so. I decided to drop one pot in about 50' of water and took the other one out quite a ways to around 80' (past a couple of other pots). Got three really nice big keepers from the deeper pot but I had a horrible time getting back in. The wind kicked up (as it often does here in the evenings this time of year). With two pots on the back of the revo to catch the wind + the added weight, I wasn't making much (if any) headway pedaling hard. After a few minutes, I abandoned my plan of heading straight back to my launch point and headed to shore a fair ways down the beach. Even that took a loonngg time. Once I got a bit closer to the bluffs I was able to get out of the wind enough to scoot up the coast. 1st time I've had that problem. Gained a little bit more experience, I guess...and a leg cramp right when I landed. Good news is, I was seeing quite a bit of activity on the fishfinder. I don't know how to interpret it all but it was pretty interesting. I think I'm going to need a couple of days off. I'll just tie up some hoochies and leaders for a while and get my stuff organized!

Cosmo- My main problem with the fishfinder location is that it's too low. I can paddle OK to launch (I'm fairly tall with long stringy arms though). I think the RAM mount might help with that tremendously and give me the ability to pivot it backwards a bit when I need to free up space. Yes, I made the plates for the downrigger and the fishfinder. That "starboard" is super easy to work. It cuts nice and planes easily with a block plane. The downrigger mount had some edges that I couldn't get to with a plane so I sanded those down to about 400 and they cleaned up pretty well. I like that it's pretty care-free and is fairly stiff and strong.

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
Looks like you got it, good work.  I tried having my FF head mounted close to my seat and got a sore neck from having to look down and to the right all the time. 
"If your hands ain't bleeding, you ain't fishing hard enough!"

Cosmo

• Salmon
  • Integrity-It's What You Do When No One's Looking
  • DADventurerNW
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
Cosmo- My main problem with the fishfinder location is that it's too low. I can paddle OK to launch (I'm fairly tall with long stringy arms though). I think the RAM mount might help with that tremendously and give me the ability to pivot it backwards a bit when I need to free up space. Yes, I made the plates for the downrigger and the fishfinder. That "starboard" is super easy to work. It cuts nice and planes easily with a block plane. The downrigger mount had some edges that I couldn't get to with a plane so I sanded those down to about 400 and they cleaned up pretty well. I like that it's pretty care-free and is fairly stiff and strong.

Andy, I had the same problem with the FF being to low, but also being a bit far away for me to see detail when I'm using the split screen.  I set up a double ram arm with a ball joint in between, and now I can raise the FF higher and closer when needed, and fold it down flat when I'm going in and out of the surf.  Here's what it looks like.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 10:40:31 AM by Cosmo »
Cosmo
2 Hobie Mirage Outbacks 2014

AndyFishes

• Rockfish
Cosmo- That's interesting. Yes, my eyes aren't what they used to be. I was just planning on going with the single 1.5" ball ram mount for Garmin FF's but I'll have to give it a little more thought now. I guess doubling up gives you a bit more articulation + height if you want/need it. Do they make those double ball pieces (ball on each end) or is that custom? I hadn't seen those while browsing around...Thanks for sharing.

AndyFishes

• Rockfish
Nevermind, I found the double ball adapter. Might start with the single mount and see how that works. Wouldn't be too hard to add on later...

anything