Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:15:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: How do you save your landing net  (Read 6719 times)

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I leash my net and my fishing rods with small retractable dog leashes.  They work very well.  I barely notice that a leash is attached to my net or rod.  I have lost my net overboard an embarrassing number of times, and the leash keeps it attached to my kayak.  I clip the dog leash to my kayak seat and leave it there all of the time, and clip the dog leash to the net or rod when I'm setting up my kayak before launching.  See the picture below.

I attached a loop of cord to my net with a small hose clamp, and I clip the dog leash to the loop of cord.  I covered the hose clamp with duct tape to keep the screw tightener from hooking on other gear.  However, it would have been easier to drill a hole through the handle of my net for a loop of cord.  I attach a loop of cord to my trolling reels and clip the dog leash to it.  I drill a hole in the butt of my spinning rods, put a loop of cord through the hole, and clip the dog leash to the loop.  I find that the dog leash doesn't get tangled in the spinning reel or interfere with casting when the leash is attached to the end of the butt of a spinning rod.

Small dog leashes are a lot less expensive at Walmart or other discount stores than they are at pet stores.  I prefer leashes which have a cord to leashes which have a narrow strip of webbing. The cord or webbing on these leashes is often quite long, and if you dump your kayak, your net or rod could end up hanging below your kayak at the full length of the leash.  To reduce the risk of entanglement, I shorten my leashes to about four feet long.

It seems to me that if you add flotation to your net or a rod, and they fall overboard, you could go a long distance before you notice that the net or the rod is missing, and could have difficulty finding it.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 08:27:50 PM by pmmpete »

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Thank you, pete.  Coincidentally, your photo shows the exact same model of net that I threw overboard.

Surrender - 1
Lip Grips - 1
Piscatorial Seppuku - 0.5
Let It Learn To Swim On It's Own - 2.75
Dog Leash - 2
Pool Noodles - 6.25
Already Leashed - 0.5
I'm the Bait? - 1
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 04:11:01 AM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Pinker is for the over thinker, there Tinker!

Wait a minute!  What forum am I in?  Isn't this NWKA?  Ask a simple, albeit staggeringly silly question, and look at the abuse I'm taking from those I mostly trust!  And here I sit, ready and willing  to accept your earlier advice to give up trying to catch fish (because it's complicated enough before I get my hands on it) and just go kayak touring.  I liked it!  Simple, elegant, and low-cost...   ;D

Credit where credit is due, folks - I did not come up with my signature line, below.  It was suggested to me by another forum member but I recognized it as a perfect description of how I keep from getting anything done  Thank you, INSAYN!  I am not, however, going to paint my kayak pink to compliment pink pool noodles.  A guy's got to draw the line somewhere...  Pfff-ft!

Surrender - 2*
Lip Grips - 1
Dog Leash - 2
Pool Noodles - 6.25
Pool Noodles Are Okay (but only if they're pink) - 1
Already Leashed - 0.5
I'm the Bait? - 1

(* - I tried to ignore Mojo Jojo's vote for giving up but I felt guilty about it)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 04:17:10 AM by Tinker »

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Just think about this for a second, pink will also work as a theft deterrent.  Other than Princess Barbie, who else would try to take anything pink from you. Right?

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Just think about this for a second, pink will also work as a theft deterrent.  Other than Princess Barbie, who else would try to take anything pink from you. Right?

Maybe a point worth considering...   :spittake:
--------------------------
Had a couple of days to ponder over it and decided, "Nope!"   :angel:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 04:20:34 PM by Tinker »

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Rockfish
  • The Art and Science of Fishing
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
I farmed 2 landing nets in the gorge in the last 2 months. Both lost in high winds and white caps after landing fish. I don't have my nets standing up in rod holders to minimize wind resistance but unfortunately laying on the deck isn't great either. I went to Sportsman's Warehouse in Vancouver and last week and they were selling off floating ego nets for $25 (regularly $45). I bought 2 of them. I use a Scotty Powerlock rod holder to keep the net secure. I have used ego slider nets but don't like them because they are heavy but the ones I bought are light and easy to scoop. Big enough to easily scoop a 20" trout too.  :)

On a different note, on the large salmon nets with a hollow aluminum handle, you can put the pool noodle inside the handle instead of wrapping the pool noodle on the outside of the handle.
Heroes on the Water Guide
O.K. Malibu 2XL
Hobie Adventure Island
Eddyline Caribbean 12
No Sponsors, Not Prostaff, Just Fishin

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Princess Barbie must be a tweeker....I use pink paint on my tools at work and she has taken  my shovel's, drills, rotor hammer, slap staplers......the list goes on and on after 40 years.
 BTW it is now politically incorrect to use the term tweeker, seems it is derogatory to some. We must now call the Methacan Americans.
the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Princess Barbie must be a tweeker....I use pink paint on my tools at work and she has taken  my shovel's, drills, rotor hammer, slap staplers......the list goes on and on after 40 years.
 BTW it is now politically incorrect to use the term tweeker, seems it is derogatory to some. We must now call the Methacan Americans.
Methacan Americans  :spittake: my floor is now covered in Jack and Coke Zero! TLW even laughed when I read it to her.  :banjo:

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
...I use a Scotty Powerlock rod holder to keep the net secure...

On a different note, on the large salmon nets with a hollow aluminum handle, you can put the pool noodle inside the handle instead of wrapping the pool noodle on the outside of the handle.

Okay, now it's getting complicated!  Good ideas, however.

Surrender - 2
Lip Grips - 1
Dog Leash - 2
Pool Noodles - 7.25
Already Leashed - 0.5
I'm the Bait? - 1
Scotty Rod Holder - 1
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 04:21:51 PM by Tinker »

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
How do you save your landing net?  Why, take to a good ol' tent revival and let it meet Jeebus!

(duck'n-runforcover)
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
I don't have my nets standing up in rod holders to minimize wind resistance but unfortunately laying on the deck isn't great.

I agree on the wind resistance, I often lay my net across the front of my Oasis when Pepper is not on board...

PS-  great thread Tinker!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 04:19:28 PM by rogerdodger »
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Mak2014

• Rockfish
  • Natural born fish killer
  • Date Registered: May 2014
After loosing bunch of my fish gears from rolling my kayaks, I leash everything!  Saved me ton of money by using yak-gear paddle leash on fishing rods, net, paddle, and mirage drive.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
How do you save your landing net?  Why, take to a good ol' tent revival and let it meet Jeebus!

(duck'n-runforcover)

Wouldn't that require a baptism?  Shouldn't my net be leashed or noodled first?

Surrender - 2
Lip Grips - 1
Dog Leash - 2
Pool Noodles - 7.25
Already Leashed - 0.5
I'm the Bait? - 1
Scotty Rod Holder - 1
Get it Baptized - 1
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 04:22:50 PM by Tinker »

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I don't have my nets standing up in rod holders to minimize wind resistance but unfortunately laying on the deck isn't great.

I agree on the wind resistance, I often lay my net across the front of my Oasis when Pepper is not on board...

Thank you, roger.  I see laying it on the bow as an advantage for a leash.  I could watch it go overboard and grab the little devil as it passes me by - and hope I'm clever enough to not throw my rod in the water to rescue the net.  Again.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
After loosing bunch of my fish gears from rolling my kayaks, I leash everything!  Saved me ton of money by using yak-gear paddle leash on fishing rods, net, paddle, and mirage drive.

Thank you, Mak.  Might I suggest you stop rolling your kayak?  Not for the sake of your gear, you understand, but so we don't lose you because of the high cost of replacing stuff.  I found a short coiled cable on Amazon to use with my Mirage Drive when I had a Hobie.  It looks insignificant but it was nylon-coated, coiled 1/8" stainless steel cable, and it was just long enough to let me easily remove the drive for launching and landing but short enough to keep the leash from sliding into the drive well.  It was a great little leash and I wish I'd kept it...

Surrender - 2
Lip Grips - 1
Dog Leash - 2
Leash Leash - 1
Pool Noodles - 7.25
Already Leashed - 0.5
I'm the Bait? - 1
Scotty Rod Holder - 1
Get it Baptized - 1
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 04:23:18 PM by Tinker »