Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:19:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Trolling Motor & Fish Finder  (Read 2054 times)

Aperlmut

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
This forum has been very helpful.   I have a house on Lake Goodwin where i spend a lot of time over the summer fishing.    Last spring I asked about buying a fish finder and the replies were great, super insightful and helped me make the decision to buy one.     Now i'm taking about a trolling motor as well but here is the big issue for both the trolling motor AND the fish finder, i'm not sure i'm skilled enough to install these on my kayak.   

That being said, is there a business or skilled individuals i could pay to do this for me?   I live in Woodinville,WA and am happy to drive a reasonable distance to accommodate.   I was thinking this would be a good place to start. 

Next issues is which Kayak to put all this in.  I have a sit in single person as well as a two person sit on top.    The problem with the sit on top is that i'm a big guy, i weigh 260 and am 6'2" tall.    So the 2 person kayak sits super low in the back when it's me and my son (5 years old weight 50lbs or so) but i'd rather fish with him of course.     So as i type this i'm thinking:

options 1 - rig out both
option 2 - rig out the single and buy a bass boat for family time

Sorry, this is a rambling post but nevertheless reflects my current situation.   Any and all thoughts are welcome.

Wilfite

• Rockfish
  • Fish'n's good, Catch'n's better.
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
Installing a motor can be as simple as a 2x4 clamped across your boat and a battery sitting behind you strapped in to a commercial drop-in solution designed for your boat (big $$) to a customized install with completely redesigned drive electronics and mounting (what I am working on right now).

The first question to ask is what level solution are you looking for.

The second question is what is your budget?
-Tony

Wilderness Systems Thresher 15.5 (Yellow)
Old Town Predator MK, (Lime Green Camo)

Cosmo

• Salmon
  • Integrity-It's What You Do When No One's Looking
  • DADventurerNW
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
Hey Aperlmut,

For the fish finder, you could rig up both kayaks with transducers and ball mounts so you just have to plug in the fish finder when you switch out kayaks.

For the trolling motor, isn't that why you are bringing your son, to paddle while you fish?  Just kidding, of course.  One thing to keep in mind, if you throw a trolling motor on a kayak, not sure if this is the case in Washington, but in many states, the Marine Board considers this a power boat and you will have to register your kayak as such.

With regards to flotation, you may want to look at adding some pontoons to the back to give you some additional flotation and stability.  There are lots of videos on YouTube where people have done some DIY pontoons.
Cosmo
2 Hobie Mirage Outbacks 2014

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
So, you are already down in the back of the boat, and you want to add their weight of a motor and battery back there ? Not awesome.

Plus, turn that motor on and the bow will rise and the stern tend to settle.

I advise you approach this with a great deal of caution.

Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

showa

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2016
Did you buy the trolling motor yet? I had a trolling motor that I mounted on my Predator 13, I live in Bothell. I could help to give you some ideas and show you how to do it if you could not find someone to do it for you.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Get a Jackson Big Tuna it’s a tandem and a solo that can be set up either way just moving your seat. I have one and average 245 and had my youngest son on with me at 250 so pushing the weight limit on her but never felt like we we’re going to flip or sink. It also has a nice tank in the middle that comes out and could be customized so the motor could go in a plug centered in the boat.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Aperlmut

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
Thanks everyone, I’m going to continue to think it over.