Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:22:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 10:14:53 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: DIY Magnetic Transducer Mount  (Read 5753 times)

Widgeonmangh

• Lingcod
  • Fishing Kayaks of Gig Harbor
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Time to go fishing. Had to do some yard work but now I am switching over the kayaks to get ready for fishing. First trip tomorrow. Going to try putting my transducer on with an N52 Rare Earth Magnet. Do you think it will work? We will see.

Fish on the right side that's where the fish are! John 21:6

I am no longer a dealer for Wavewalk but if you ever want to paddle one let me know!

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
If you're worried about magnetic interference, the magnet causing issues with your transducer, it shouldn't be too bad unless you're going to use something powerful enough to tow a semi with your yak. Military uses magnetic mounts on a lot of their antennas with very little negative results.
If it might not be strong enough to hold in place, only one way to find out
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Widgeonmangh

• Lingcod
I agree, I don't think there will be any interference.  But It will be interesting to see if it holds it in place. :)

I am no longer a dealer for Wavewalk but if you ever want to paddle one let me know!

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
If you search around the forums, Trident 13 used a homemade magnetic mounting system for years without mentioning that it caused any problems (or that it fell off).
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Widgeonmangh

• Lingcod
Just an update:  I worked like a charm.  I need to do some thing different with the cord but other than that it was perfect.  I had great resolution and able to track the DR ball and the flasher.  Which isn't a big deal early but later on makes a huge difference in being successful after the Kokanee.
 :)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Just an update: I worked like a charm...

Okay, but how did the mount work?   >:D

Widgeonmangh

• Lingcod
Lol -  It worked like a charm.  I may add an additional magnet to it though just for the overkill factor.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
From the video, it looks like a second magnet would absolutely positively prevent the transducer from accidentally tilting, too. 

Widgeonmangh

• Lingcod

BentRod

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I think this is a great idea.  I'm getting ready to do the same.  I got the idea from some of the commercially manufactured versions, but the price on those is way more than I want to spend.  I ordered a set of ten N52 disc magnets off Amazon for about $10.  I am going to go a little further than your design and embed a couple in a a plastic case for the inside and out attachment points.  I'll try to take some pics during the build and show how it goes. 
Here are the magnets I ordered. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSTKTSF?ref_=pe_2640190_368266200_DDT_E_DDE_dt_1

Widgeonmangh

• Lingcod
Cool!  I have been using mine and it works like a charm and costs $10.  Can't beat that.

Look forward seeing how the smaller magnets work out.

BentRod

• Rockfish
Finally finished mine.  Haven't tested it on the water yet, but do like how it turned out, so think it'll fly. 

I used some 1/4" plastic that I had lying around. I bought some rare earth disc magnets off Amazon (ten for $12).  I used four of them for this project.  Two on the outside mount and two on the inside attachment.  I used a Forstner bit to drill 1/8" deep holes in the plastic to inset the magnets.  I was able to glue the plastic pieces together with PVC/ABS glue.   The battery box is from Harbor Freight ($3 on sale). 

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Nice rigging!  Did you glue the inside mount piece to the hull, or is the entire thing removable inside & out?
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

BentRod

• Rockfish
Nice rigging!  Did you glue the inside mount piece to the hull, or is the entire thing removable inside & out?

It's entirely removable.  I'd originally intended to have the transducer mounted near the hatch (just in front of the seat), but found once bound by the magnets through the hull, I could slide the transducer bracket fore and aft and the inside magnet mount would also slide with it, so I could situate it anywhere I wanted.  If the interior mount was glued in place it might provide a little more stability to the outside mount, but for what I do I think the bonding strength is good enough. 
Once I actually test it in the water I will report back.

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Yes, it would be great to hear how it does. Good luck with it!
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”