Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:51:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Print all the things!  (Read 5850 times)

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Here are some of the things I've been creating since I got my printer last year.  My amazing wife got me the Printrbot Simple for my birthday and I've put a decent amount of mileage into it so far.  I must say, 3D printing is not easy.  The printers are getting easier to use every year, but there are a ton of variables that go into creating a decent print.  It took me the better part of six months of playing around with settings before I finally started to get good prints. I feel Drillin' & Cuttin' is a good place for this as opposed to The Shorebreak because most of the stuff I'll add here has to do with kayak rigging but I'll throw a few more random things in for good measure. 

First up is one of the most recent things I've been working on.  With the harsh winter we've been having I wanted to help out the hummingbirds that I see always zipping through my back yard. 

Many of the designs I find on an online database called Thingiverse.com. I found the plug fitting for Scotty mounts there and used that to make a base for my safety flag.  Building and modifying designs is done though a free 3D cad site called Tinkercad.com. 

Here's a part you all may find familiar that I cad'd up myself. Mine parts are on the left, the originals are on the right(not the Scotty base).

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Very nice Rawk! One question I've been trying to ponder over as I save designs for my eventual printer purchase is regarding the cost to print. Of course the greatest reason would be the ability to print a part that is hard to get or necessary for a project, but also from a cost standpoint does it save any money? What does it cost in fillament and energy to print a mighty mount for instance? I know the infill (I think that's the term) you setup plays into it, but for a solid item like a mount you need it thick and sturdy...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
It's really not a good idea to look at this from a cost perspective.  How can you put a price on fun/satisfaction/enjoyment?  Just buy one, you'll save yourself from spending money on other things while you're so involved in 3D print universe.

Fantastic creative implementation, Rawkfish.  Looking forward to seeing more!

What file type does your printer print?  Do you render your models to *.STEP or is the printbot a proprietary file type? 

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
Very nice Rawk! One question I've been trying to ponder over as I save designs for my eventual printer purchase is regarding the cost to print. Of course the greatest reason would be the ability to print a part that is hard to get or necessary for a project, but also from a cost standpoint does it save any money? What does it cost in fillament and energy to print a mighty mount for instance? I know the infill (I think that's the term) you setup plays into it, but for a solid item like a mount you need it thick and sturdy...

Thanks!

Cost for most prints is low.  My print volume is currently about 6"x6"x6" so I can't print huge stuff. A roll of filament (PLA) is about $22 per 1 kg. That works out to 2.2 cents per gram.  The Mighty Mount print at 80% infill (really strong) works out to just under 30 grams.  That's about $0.66 per piece, not including the initial cost of the printer.  So not bad.

The printer cost $600, so not at all cheap, but there are more and more printers on the market every year and the cost is coming down. A small print volume printer can be $400 new I think.  If you spend a lot of time looking around on ebay or craigslist you can find some amazing deals from people who used the thing for a couple of months, got bored or couldn't get it to work right, and are just wanting to clean out the closet.  My coworker found one that was almost brand new, used a few times, normally goes for ~$1,000 new, for about $75 on ebay.

It's really not a good idea to look at this from a cost perspective.  How can you put a price on fun/satisfaction/enjoyment?  Just buy one, you'll save yourself from spending money on other things while you're so involved in 3D print universe.

Fantastic creative implementation, Rawkfish.  Looking forward to seeing more!

What file type does your printer print?  Do you render your models to *.STEP or is the printbot a proprietary file type? 

Thanks! It's all open source and uses .STL files among others.

2011 Angler Of The Year
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
You can design the stuff in Sketchup or Fusion 360, both powerful and free for "Makers." Fusion 360 has a steep learning curve, but it is super powerful. Both export into .stl files.  Rawkfish is an additive guy I am a subtractive guy. I use a homemade CNC machine to mill stuff down. Loads of fun. My next build wil either be a CNC plasma cutter or a 3D printer.

polyangler

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Anderson Enterprises LLC
From halibut spears to hummingbird feeders and everything between!
That's kick ass homie!

[img width=100 height=100]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/saltyplastic/NEMrod

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Just make sure you clean any H-bird feeder thoroughly between each fill. If any fermentation takes place it will interfere with the torpor process and they will die.

Evolution is awesome.

http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2006/04/09/hummingbirds-and-torpor/

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
Anderson Enterprises LLC
From halibut spears to hummingbird feeders and everything between!
That's kick ass homie!

Ah yes, I almost forgot about the halibut spear!   ;D  I'll add that one soon, that was a fun project.

2011 Angler Of The Year

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Cool Stuff Jeff!!!

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

micahgee

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Cool stuff!

I don't know what software you use to print but I've had good success with RepetierHost. It comes with a few different slicing software suites which is nice to dial in the print.

You are right, getting good prints is pretty difficult. Holes often come out a bit smaller than designed for instance. If you can get your tolerances to within 0.1mm or about 0.002 you are doing great with most desktop printers.

I've made a few things for the kayak myself, I made a fishfinder mount for the Hobie mast hole, a transducer holder assembly and some Scotty mounts that fit on the threaded holes meant for the amas on the Adventure/Revo 16. There are definitely lots of project ideas just for kayak fishing alone. Heck I've seen 3d printed lures.
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

www.heroesonthewater.org

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
Could someone please print me a steelhead?

Smitty

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Dec 2016

How do you think that would taste?
2016 Hobie Outback

Helium Head

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Cool stuff!  I bought a Formlabs Form 2 printer. I find designing stuff for 3d printing the fun and challenging part. I am learning design with Rhino software.  I haven't printed anything yet for yaking but just printed a watch stand for my great grandmothers pocket watch and cookie cutters for my nieces.
Hobie Revolution 13 olive
Hobie Revolution 13 yellow

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011

How do you think that would taste?

I'll take anything at this point.

no_oil_needed

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: May 2013
If you want something made in metal, http://www.shapeways.com/ can turn do that from a 3D model. It's a little spendy.
Relax. You'll live longer.