Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 12:12:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 15, 2024, 03:27:21 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 15, 2024, 07:27:41 AM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

[March 29, 2024, 08:19:21 PM]

[March 29, 2024, 08:17:12 PM]

by Spot
[March 29, 2024, 03:34:50 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Going, Going.....Not quite but getting close.  (Read 1712 times)

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
Pass the Whiskey [Gulch] its time to put a fire in that boiler and start pumping some iron....uh, peddles.  If not now its starting to get close. FINALLY~! The Westerly wind on Tuesday was blowing all the slush and pan ice across the Inlet to the west side and ice-free waters were as far as the telephoto could see. This shot is from the mouth of the Kenai to Cape Kasilof.

Mouth of the Kenai

45° to 50° air temps with light breezes and 14 hours of daylight are turning the tables on Inlet ice rapidly as well as onshore. And although we have had a "normal" to late winter this year and much much cooler Inlet water temps I personally don't believe its going to impact the hooligan and herring run timing by much. If we stick to these daily temps we will catch up with "normalcy" quick enough to get back on timing tracks for the many fishery runs.  All migratory fish spawning runs have the biological clock dictating when the fish head for their spawning grounds so there can be only a limited delay in holding back their movements. I've watched the hooligan in the backyard move up the Kenai in the early stages of the run at a leisurely pace but fish that were coming in later when spawning had already begun were hightailing it at double the swimming speed of early fish just to make it to the party before it was over. They typically engage in mass broadcast spawning simultaneously, much like coral reefs on the full moon of a given month. If you are late, you better have the hand lotion ready.  ;D

Those halibut that are in the 20 pound and up range have had enough years of "knowing the drill" when its time to move to Cook Inlet beaches to gorge on smelt and herring migrations as well as capitalize on the millions of salmon smolt heading out of all of the Peninsula's streams and rivers. Seagulls are starting to amass at the mouth of the Kenai River as a sure indication they know the hooligan will be arriving very soon. Gotta go with what Mother Nature is telling ya. No belugas yet as the solid ice sheet in the tidal mouth of the Kenai is still extending to Columbia Wards cannery but retreating a hundred yards or more each day. Won't be long.

Today, Wednesday, the Kenai River in Soldotna has the center channel ice beginning to SAG and flood water up through the snow cover. In just a couple of days the Kenai will break up and ice out. Leaving an open center channel to wash out all the ice that isn't shorefast or grounded. It goes very quickly.

And a harbinger of SPRING!  At the base of my elevated greenhouse.

I got the box for my new AMA Sidekicks sitting by the front door waiting to set up the kayak in the yard for spring construction beginning any day now.  :) And a few more Scotty mount locations to add for cameras.

Oh Boy, I might add:  AMAZON made a major marketing blunder when they jacked up the qualifying order amount to $49 to qualify for Free Shipping. I noticed today the order I was putting together for some crabbing gear switched to "You qualify for FREE Shipping" when the total hit $35.05. Apparently they have incurred major losses of revenue to eBay where many marketers also offer Free Shipping for any priced item AND send out the goods the very next day, blowing away AMZ's 1-2 week delay in even shipping the items if you are not Prime.  Especially good news for Alaskans who make a lot of online purchases.

Sharpen those hooks!
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

Wgiv

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2015
Wow, KK you are an awesome source for knowledge and I appreciate all the homework and sharing of that homework you do. Hope to see you out there this summer.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Thats odd.  I am sure i commented on this thread. 

Im surprised how the ice on the rivers have opened up but lakes still havent changed as much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

anything