Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:02:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 19, 2024, 09:27:54 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Dry/Paddling suits for fishing  (Read 1937 times)

jsfishndreams

• Herring
  • Date Registered: May 2016
Need some input here on a dry/paddling suits. I have been on the lookout for a Drysuit/Paddling suit for Alaska and wanted to know if there are any companies other than Mythic, Stohlquist and Kokatat that exist or are worth looking into.  Right now I just use my waders and a belt but with my kid I do not want to do that anymore.  I need to get one for myself and my daughter, unfortunately after buying her a kayak my bank account is really hurting. This was why I have been looking at the Mythic ones seeing as the price point for two was the same as one Stohlquist or Kokatat.  The Mythic look like rubber suits that do not breathe, but from what I am reading the only breathable material is the goretex so do you get the same heat control and comfort level in the lower end kokatat and stohlquest as you do in the mythic?   Has anyone tried them all, I rented an old dry suit from our outdoor rec on base but it was a rubber suit and was hot as hell and I would rather not deal with them again.  I have spoken to people that own or have worn Stolquest and kokatat but not mythic.  What do you guys think, ladies any input for the daughter?               
http://www.stohlquist.com/apparel/drysuits/amp.html
https://www.mythicdrysuits.com/
https://kokatat.com/shop/mens/paddling-suits

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
GoreTex is the most breathable fabric, but that doesn't mean the other materials do not breathe.

Mythic dry suits are not "rubber" - where'd you hear that? - and a number of people in this forum either use Mythic suits or started with them and later upgraded to more expensive dry suits.  There are also safe and serviceable Chinese suits available through eBay for less than the cost of a Mythic dry suit (send a PM to bb2fish for more information).

A lot of people talk about dry suits being hot and yucky when they're dry.  That's an issue with what you are wearing underneath the suit, and it misses the whole point of wearing immersion gear that is meant to keep you functionally warm if you end up in the water.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 02:27:16 AM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

jsfishndreams

• Herring
Awesome thanks for the response.  I read a review that they were not breathable and from the pictures with the bright yellow they looked like they were a rubber suit so thanks for clearing that up. I will definitely get ahold of bb2fish.   

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Hope it helped a little.  Nothing worse than being stuck on the beach!
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I bought a sailing suit - made by Gul. Waterproof, breathable, heavy duty metal zipper front entry, latex booties and neck/wrist cuffs.  eBay purchase of a men's small which some teenage kid grew out of (so it was used once and hardly any bids). No relief zipper, but that was ok for me since I'm female. I'd say my drysuit is as good or better than the low end kokatat for quality/performance but way way cheaper. I don't have a warranty though. After 4 years, still going, I did one repair on a leaky bootie.  It's been a long winter, there's not as much room as I want (especially the hips), for layers and comfort.

My partner bought a drysuit also from eBay (3yrs ago). Chinese knockoff drysuit made of "goretex".  Send me a PM if you want me to look for the exact  details. Not sure if these are still for sale. Fantastic value. He uses it about 20 times a year. Relief zipper, heavy plastic zippers, goretex fabric socks, latex and neoprene cuffs, super comfortable. Excellent breathability. Under $200 new, size XL.

easyyakker

• Lingcod
Pay close attention to the neck gasket. A true drysuit has a "rubber like" gasket. Most of us are using "drysuits" that don't have a tight neck gasket. This is an important distinction from a comfort point of view. I have a true drysuit that I used for white water kayaking. I needed the water-tight neck gasket since rolling the kayak was something that happened at various times. For fishing, I don't anticipate repeatedly put my head under water. The bad thing about the tight neck gaskets is that they can be quite uncomfortable. For me it was like being slowly choked through the day. The biggest hesitation I would have about the Mythic suit is neck gasket.

Bottom line, for me, a full-body suit is a non-negotiable on the saltwater. Make sure that whatever you get is comfortable enough to wear for long periods.

Hydrospider

Level 6   https://www.levelsix.com/collections/types?q=drysuits
Have been using their POSEIDON model for some time and I enjoy it.
Comfortable and durable.
Looks like they are calling the current evolution the EMPEROR.

Level6 is worth a look.

On the right, wearing the POSEIDON

• Predator pdl
  • Alpine metal art
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
The stoloquist ez is a great dry suit and won't break the bank at 475. I have been using it all winter and has a neoprene neck gasket. Alot more comfortable than a rubber one but you still feel like your getting choked out until you break it in. It also is very breathable I have overdressed in it and it let all the moisture out so I didn't end up wet and cold. And it has a relief zipper... very important, because trying to get your suit off when nature calls is easier said than done.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 06:42:54 PM by mountains2sound »
Johnson outdoors Pro-staff
Old town kayaks
Humminbird sonar
2014 & 2015 Old Town Predator 13's
2016 Predator xl
2017 predator pdl
KnoxKustoms fishing rods

Ravensfan

• Lingcod
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
+1 on the Stohlquist ez suit. Works great for me! Good about repairs too. I had a small tear under the neck gasket, and they fixed it quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk