Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:55:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Stohlquist EZ vs kokatat supernova  (Read 2917 times)

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
I am in the market for a drysuit and have narrowed it down to the stohlquist EZ and the kokatat supernova angler. Both look like nice suits, the EZ is about 100 cheaper and the guys at next adventure said they think they are more durable than the kokatat, based on experience from their rental suits. Essentially they look about the same, with the kokatat warranty the big reason that I can see to go with the Supernova.  Curious if anyone has any feedback if they have compared the two. Thanks!

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
The Supernova is designed for anglers.  It has a cordura layer on the lap and legs to protect you from punctures.  Oh yeah, and they're machine washable.
The $100 is worth it in my opinion.

But, I'm biased.  Don't trust me.  Instead, do a search on Kokatat on this site to see what others have to say. 

And, whatever you buy, ENJOY!

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

danr

• Perch
  • 2017 hobie outback
  • Date Registered: Nov 2016
this may not help much, never had a stohlquist, i got the new kokatat gore tex supernova angler, all i can say is, i love it.worth every penny.

Shin09

• Salmon
Overall echos my thoughts. Buy once cry once right?  I haven't seen much negative about the kokatat suits on this site and the info about stohlquist I was able to find is positive.  I would be curious about the breathability between the two fabrics. If one is better than the other

Regarding the codura. Looks like stohlquist puts it on the legs but maybe not quite as much coverage as the angler.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I don't know anyone who owns or owned both who can give you the kind of head-to-head comparison you're asking for.  I own a Supernova.  I have a friend who owns an EZ.  We don't swap suits.

I've been in the water several times in the Kokatat and have stayed dry.  They've been in the water at least once (in my presence) and they stayed dry.

We've had a couple of comments about Stohlquist's warranty - it's a good warranty and they honor it.  A search in the "Product Discussion" forum would return a lot of positive comments (see: http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=18650.msg199450#msg199450).

The way Kokatat honors their warranties is superb and a search would return a lot of accolades.

I own a number of different waterproof garments - rain jacket, rain coats, paddling pants, rain pants...  I can tell a difference only when comparing them to Gore-Tex products, and the breathability of all the other materials feels equal to me, regardless of the name the manufacturer gives their membrane.  I believe Kokatat's Hydrus 3L material breathes at the same rate as Columbia's Omni-Dry which doesn't seem to be any different than Patagonia's H2No fabric...  I only see a clear winner when comparing any of those to an Arc'teryx Gore-Tex jacket.

If you can find someone who owns and uses both the Stohlquist EZ and the Kokatat Supernova, you may get an opinion on their relative moisture transfer efficiency but until and unless, all we'll get is an opinion about whatever product the person owns.  In my personal experience with membranes in products other than drysuits, if it isn't Gore-Tex, they all perform about the same.

Hope that's some help.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 02:36:22 AM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Shin09

• Salmon
Thanks for the feedback! I had read polyangler's story about Stohlquist. It is about the only detailed feedback about them on here (at least recently) and it was good to see a positive experience. 

TP

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
I have a lot of experience with both from the retail side, the Ezs have been bomber as a rental suit, the kokatat has been a standby for a while. I personally wear an IR so these are just my observations from working with both suits and companies for quite a while

Kokatat is a great company and I feel like it's a hair more breathable but maybe a little less durable, pretty comparable on both fronts though, both companies have a great warranty and stand by the product. The ez feels a little stiff when it's new but feels much more suplex after a few uses

If I were you I would try them both on, while not extreme they do have different cuts which may or may not fit your body type better, as well as giving you an idea of general comfort, you'll probably have a favorite after walking around the shop, sitting in a boat in each for a while.

Shin09

• Salmon
TP thanks for the feedback!

Outdoorplay is running 20% off the Kokatat suits this weekend so under 500 shipped! I pulled the trigger. Quite stoked!

Coastal Chief

• ORC_Safety
  • Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Apr 2017
TP thanks for the feedback!

Outdoorplay is running 20% off the Kokatat suits this weekend so under 500 shipped! I pulled the trigger. Quite stoked!
I saw today that Outdoor Play is having the 20% off sale active for Memorial Day.  I was wondering what you thought of the Kokatat before I pulled the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shin09

• Salmon
Only used a couple time but so far so good. Haven't gone for a swim yet but it's comfortable.  Actually pretty airy. I noticed the price now is even better than I paid. The ez  is even cheaper now too since it's also on sale.

FilthyFuzz

• Herring
  • I’m lost, but I’m making good time!
  • Date Registered: May 2016
I purchased the Supernova in a recent Outdoor Play 20% sale without the ability to try one on first.  I liked the reviews and decided to chance it.  The salesperson at OP when through all the measurements and the XL was my size but I forgot to check the feet.  I'm tall and somewhat slender but have size 14 feet.  The XL has size 9-12 socks.  The neck is also a bit too tight for me.  I called Kokatat and they're going to upsize the socks for free and upsize the neck for $70.  Body types vary so much that this customization is helpful and Kokatat even offers custom made suits.  If I had it to do over, I probably would have waited to try them on first, sale or no sale, but I do like the Supernova and the fact that Kokatat will work with you.  The breathability of Gore Tex was a big selling point for me.

Coastal Chief

• ORC_Safety
  • Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Apr 2017
Thanks for the good information.  At 6'6" 300# I'm used to not buying anything "of the shelf".  I like the fact Kokotat will do a custom suit.  If my dad was still alive in his smart ass voice, he'd just tell me to go to Salem tent and awning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk