Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:50:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Depoe Bay 5-21 Report  (Read 1661 times)

Cosmo

• Salmon
  • Integrity-It's What You Do When No One's Looking
  • DADventurerNW
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
Little Cos and I arrived at Depoe Bay at 6:15am today, almost completely fogged in, maybe 50 yards of visibility. Water looked a bit lumpy but there was no wind.  As we pulled into the launch, there was another group of NWKA guys gearing up and heading out.  The fog appeared to be thinning out, so they gave it a go, while we continued to setup.  Within 15 minutes, the fog was back, as we were putting the kayaks in the water.

As we paddled out, we could hear other boats on the water saying that visibility was maybe 100 yards. In hind sight, 100 yards was generous.  We got cleared to shoot the hole, and we were out in the ocean.  We both marked the mouth of the bay on our gps, just in case, and headed out to toward the red can, and agreed that we would stay within eye sight of the can.

Quickly the swells got big and lumpy, but the bite was good, and the wind was calm.  We got into several huge black rocks, 19 and 20 inchers, and were having a blast.  We also landed a ling each, 24 and 28, mine was the 28, in case anyone is keeping track.

We were nearing our limits of rock fish, and then the wind started to pick up, and the fog came back. We could still see the red can, but couldn't see land anymore.  One of us had a radio on 69 and the other had it on 80 so we could hear when boats were coming in and out and keep an eye out.

These were probably the most severe conditions we have fished in, but neither of us got sick.  We decided it was time to go in.  Luckily we had that gps marking for the harbor, because we didn't see it until we were about 50 yards away.

As we were shooting the hole on the way in, Little Cos says, "Dad, thank god we weren't coming in at PC today, we would have had some serious troubles."  I was already thinking the same thing.

All in all, it was a blast today, and pushed our skills up a notch.  Here are a few pics from today.

Good luck if you get out this week.
Cosmo
2 Hobie Mirage Outbacks 2014

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Cosmo, I would highly recommend strapping a non electronic compass to the decks on both your kayaks. 
Learn to trust what they say by watching them on a clear day.  On a really fogged in day, they can really be the icing on the cake for making sure you are facing the direction that you "think" you are facing.  Fog has a dirty way of diverting sounds and that is really frustrating.

A good one to get that is pretty easy to attach on deck is the Brunton 58-Kayak Marine Compass.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
BTW, awesome report!   8)

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

gexrich

• Herring
  • Date Registered: May 2016
Good to meet you guys. We planned on hanging out some on the water but that was ugly. We made it out to the can and it was just too uncomfortable for my crew. I was glad to see everyone back in safely. We went down to Newport and poked around in the bay until the wind picked up. I'm sure we will see you again. Good job today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cosmo

• Salmon
  • Integrity-It's What You Do When No One's Looking
  • DADventurerNW
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
Cosmo, I would highly recommend strapping a non electronic compass to the decks on both your kayaks. 
Learn to trust what they say by watching them on a clear day.  On a really fogged in day, they can really be the icing on the cake for making sure you are facing the direction that you "think" you are facing.  Fog has a dirty way of diverting sounds and that is really frustrating.

A good one to get that is pretty easy to attach on deck is the Brunton 58-Kayak Marine Compass.

Thanks for the tip Insayn.  Just placed an order on Amazon.  It will be here Wednesday.  Had our fish finders crapped out while we were out there, we would have been in deep doo doo.
Cosmo
2 Hobie Mirage Outbacks 2014

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Great report!

On the safety side I also keep a backpacking-style small compass in my PFD pocket. It's light and if I ever need it, it's there.

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
Great report Cos.  I can't wait to get back out there again.  Although in those conditions, I probably would have just watched from shore...

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
Great report!

On the safety side I also keep a backpacking-style small compass in my PFD pocket. It's light and if I ever need it, it's there.
Good idea. I'm gonna add that.

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
I do the same thing!  I haven't needed it yet, but the boyscout in me never dies. :)
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

Dark Tuna

• Lingcod
  • "Dark Tuna?"
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
This device serves me double duty -- monocular with a built in compass and if you can know how tall the object is you're spying and can do quick math in your head it's also a rangefinder:

https://www.kayakacademy.com/collections/safety-and-navigation-kayak-accessories/products/cali-optics-10x42-waterproof-monocular-w-compass

2015 Jackson Big Tuna (tandem) (dark forest)
2016 Hobie Outback LE (screamin' orange)
2014 KC Kayaks K12 (the better half's, in camo)
2015 Jackson Kraken 13.5 (bluefin)

Raymarine Dragonfly; BB Angler Aces; Kokatat Hydrus 3L SuperNova Angler Dry Suit; Stohlquist Fisherman PFD