Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:08:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: WG the first weekend of June  (Read 3824 times)

easyyakker

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: May 2016
The forecast is looking good for this weekend. So far the marine forecast and Windy both are predicting lite winds. A small, low tide around 8:30 or 9. (I love that timing.) Anyone else planning on hitting the Gulch on Saturday?

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Barring work issues, i plan to be there!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

msstcoastie

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
Team Palmer plans to be there.  So I have a question.  The marine forecast predicts 3 ft seas for Sat-Sun.  What is considered "fishable" and safe seas?  It is a LONG trip from Palmer and in the future, I don't want to make that trip only to be beached for the weekend.  Thanks!
2016 Hobie PA12
2015 Hobie Outback

MikeA210

• Herring
Team Palmer plans to be there.  So I have a question.  The marine forecast predicts 3 ft seas for Sat-Sun.  What is considered "fishable" and safe seas?  It is a LONG trip from Palmer and in the future, I don't want to make that trip only to be beached for the weekend.  Thanks!

In my opinion its all on you and what you are comfortable with and feel won't be unsafe with.  Launched out last weekend and the swells were easily 6-8 ft and the tide was strong. There were times i couldn't see the guy i was fishing with when he was 30ft from me in his outback because he and I were at the bottom of a swell and a wave was between us.  The wind and rain kicked up and we started our maybe 3-4mi paddle back to launch into wind and current, was not fun.  If i weren't in shape i would have had to just paddle to stop drifting and wait for the tides to turn, not an issue but I'm stubborn and went for it, took me nearly 2 hours to make it to launch (there were a few times i looked at the beach and considered beaching putting the cart in and dragging my PA down the beach lol).  Never was close to flipping or felt "unsafe" altho the conditions were pretty rough, but most ocean fishing comes from your comfort level, Alaskan waters are definitely more unforgiving then what I'm use to in the gulf of mexico. 

easyyakker

• Lingcod
Current forecast for WG is pretty good.

FriSW wind 20 kt. Seas 3 ft building to 5 ft in the afternoon.
Fri NightSW wind 20 kt. Seas 5 ft subsiding to 3 ft after midnight.
Sat And Sat NightSW wind 10 kt. Seas 2 ft.
SunSW wind 10 kt. Seas 2 ft.
Mon Through TueNE wind 15 kt. Seas 3 ft.

I'm just hoping the forecast holds, and we get 10kts. and 2 feet. That is about as good as it gets at WG.

MikeA210

• Herring
I want to head out but i feel my wife is setting a trap and I'm being cautious lol hope the weather holds for everyone!

easyyakker

• Lingcod
Not quite as good a forecast.

SatSW wind 15 kt. Seas 4 ft.
Sat NightSW wind 15 kt. Seas 4 ft.
SunVariable wind less than 10 kt. Seas 1 ft.

Although, the forecast for today was SW20 and I've heard reports of flat calm.

I just realized I started this post with the wrong time of tide. I skipped a page in my page book. High water on Saturday is around noon. Only a 15.6 high tide. (I was looking August tides before :-[.) I'll be planning on hitting the beach/launching around 11. It will be a slow tide change so should be getting off the water around 2:30 or 3:00.

Hope to see some of you tomorrow.

If you have a radio (VHF), I usually monitor channel 10.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Not quite as good a forecast.

SatSW wind 15 kt. Seas 4 ft.
Sat NightSW wind 15 kt. Seas 4 ft.
SunVariable wind less than 10 kt. Seas 1 ft.

Although, the forecast for today was SW20 and I've heard reports of flat calm.

I just realized I started this post with the wrong time of tide. I skipped a page in my page book. High water on Saturday is around noon. Only a 15.6 high tide. (I was looking August tides before :-[.) I'll be planning on hitting the beach/launching around 11. It will be a slow tide change so should be getting off the water around 2:30 or 3:00.

Hope to see some of you tomorrow.

If you have a radio (VHF), I usually monitor channel 10.

**EDITED** had pm..meant AM***
For ANchor Point

I am showing high water around 9:30amfor NOAA site.  Navionics says 11:30am.  Magic Seaweed says 930.  I am thinking Navionics is off?  That's not cool....

What are you using.  I am having conflicts with my NAvionics app and NOAA site.

Noaa:  https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/noaatidepredictions.html?id=9455606

Navionics: 

Magic Seaweed:  http://magicseaweed.com/Anchor-Point-Surf-Report/905/Tide/
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 04:58:28 PM by kardinal_84 »

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
I show 1-2 ft off WHiskey Gulch but the bigger waters the evening before could leave residual surf.  But the K-bay Buoy and Homerwebcams.com doesn't show any of the reported SW wind effects that is suppoed to be happening.  Thsi weather is starting to bum me out.  I would rather it be 10 ft than this inbewteen stuff.  Argh!

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

easyyakker

• Lingcod
I was going old school. I have a tide book I picked up at Sportsman's. Deep Creek high tide at 12:20 (a 14.9 footer). My Tides Near Me app shows a high tide at Anchor Point at 11:37 and 14.7 foot. I'd say those two sources are jiving about right. I'll probably move my target launch time closer to 10:45.  It is going to be a slow tide change. What may change my mind again would be if I decide to troll up the beach before popping out to halibut fish.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Your book jives with the navionics app.  Ive never seen it where multiple sources are split 50/50 like this.  Ill be there at 9am ish but may just take my time gearing up. 

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Ugh forecast changed to 3ft.  Homer buoy is SW at 2ft. Thats not a good sign.  But homerwebcams.com looks flat.  Gonna swing by WG and then head to Homer if its rough at WG.

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

easyyakker

• Lingcod
I'll probably do the same. Homer looks nice. Just going to go throw the boat in the truck and head out. (That will probably take longer than it sounds.)

Lawngjohn

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jan 2016
In families boat today. Launched in anchor. Futher out we go the worse its got. Gonna go back in and troll kings haha. Still looked a little rough close in too for a kayak.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
**EDITED** had pm..meant AM***
For ANchor Point
I am showing high water around 9:30amfor NOAA site.  Navionics says 11:30am.  Magic Seaweed says 930.  I am thinking Navionics is off?  That's not cool....
What are you using.  I am having conflicts with my NAvionics app and NOAA site.
Noaa:  https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/noaatidepredictions.html?id=9455606
Navionics: 

Magic Seaweed:  http://magicseaweed.com/Anchor-Point-Surf-Report/905/Tide/

This discrepancy discussion got my curiosity up.  I'm running i-Boating(US) marine charts and tides on my android tablet and cell. I compared NOAA tides for Seldovia with the local tide booklets and my chart app and they all match within one minute or less and same tide levels.

If your difference was only one hour I would have figured it was a daylight saving time error and easy to compensate. But 2 hours off is very strange.
Does the Navionics app have a Time Zone Setting for UTC? If it does that might be a place to check and see if the UTC offset is not for AK time.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

anything