Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:25:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Beautiful Day at Whiskey Gulch  (Read 2073 times)

easyyakker

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: May 2016
A beautiful day on the water today. Gave my electric trolling motor its inaugural run. It worked well. My temporary setup should work for the summer. I'm most interested in using it for extended trolling the first week of July. I want one of those big July kings. The motor will also extend my fishing for fall salmon off the spit. The old knees can go for about 2 1/2 or 3 hours. Adding 2 hours with trolling motor should really be a game changer for.

As for fishing today...I kept a couple small ones. Let one go. I didn't fish that long. Had to get back on land for a Father's Day Dinner.

AK Trapper

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
easyyakker,
Hard to believe that kayak battery/trolling motors only provide two hours of power. I was able to drag an 18' john around for 6 to 8 hours on a fairly new deep cycle battery trolling for walleye. Is battery size/weight the limiting factor or is it the type of motor that's compatible with kayaks that sucks down the juice?

easyyakker

• Lingcod
Battery size. I'm trying to minimize weight in the boat. Also trying to maximize safety. I was using a 30 amp hour AGM battery. The AGM just seems so much safer to work with in a situation where I'll be moving, transporting, etc.. the battery.  The time is all about the weight trade-off. I looked into Lithium Ion, but they don't seem to do well when the temperature drops. Some of those fall/winter/early spring trips might be troublesome. That, in addition to the fact that the Lithium Ion batteries are so dang expensive.

katinalaska

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Easyyakker, I'll be interested in looking at your set up. I was thinking of spending the money for the Hobie electric trolling motor next year, but didn't consider the lithium battery not doing well in the cold. I like to fish for the kings in Homer in October-Feb....gets a little cool that time of year! The one thing that attracted me to the Hobie battery/motor was that they claim to last 6-8 hours at trolling speed....but that doesn't help if it won't work in cold temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

easyyakker

• Lingcod
I'll bring the setup down this weekend (to the classic) although I don't plan on using it. I went with a very basic setup. However, my setup would need some serious modifications for the Outback. I need to do more research on the lithium ion in cold temps issue. No batteries work well in the cold. If you were thinking about the Evolve, I would recommend looking at the Torqueedo Ultralight (http://www.torqeedo.com/us/en-us/products/outboards/ultralight). I like the idea of the stern mount (which is an option with the Evolve on the Outback) so I can keep my Mirage drive in place. I'm going to be working out a stern mount for my setup. For now, I won't be going to the Torqueedo do to cost. My setup, with battery is less than $300. Evolve is closer to $2,200 and Torqueedo is closer to $1,900.

There was gentleman fishing up here last year with an Torqueedo Ultralight on an Outback. It was a pretty impressive setup. If the arthritis in my knees gets worse I'll be looking more seriously at the Torqueedo.

easyyakker

• Lingcod
I've been doing a little more research on the Lithium batteries. It sounds like they should work fine in any weather we'd be fishing in. Unless, you planning on fishing in below zero weather. I know I'm not.

anything