Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:54:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Siletz Bay crab & clam combo - seeking information  (Read 1343 times)

Saltydog0

• Perch
  • Date Registered: May 2012
Since I've been driving to/from Depoe Bay lately, I noticed lots of people out digging in the sand.  I hear they have those Purple Varnish Clams and I'd like to get some.  Clamming is one of the few outdoor activities I can get my wife to participate in and I've convinced her to go down there this Saturday.  It looks like low tide (-1.2') is around 6:45 AM.  Is it practical to take my yak and set a crab pot out in the morning to soak while we dig?  I was thinking of digging around the area of The Bay House restaurant.  Is there a place to launch near there at low tide and take out a couple hours later?

I saw that some launch over by Moe's, but I'd worry about finding a parking place to re-load the yak after 9AM on a Saturday.

Thanks,

« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 03:27:51 PM by deptrai »

Wannabe

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Dec 2006
I hear they have those Purple Varnish Clams and I'd like to get some.  Clamming is one of the few outdoor activities I can get my wife to participate in and I've convinced her to go down there this Saturday.  It looks like low tide (-1.2') is around 6:45 AM. 

I did the Purple Varnish thing 2 summers ago. After running across an article in a local paper and searching out youtube videos, they looked promising. Jut the right size for steamers and a 72 clam limit! Perfect. I parked here: 44°55'20.5"N 124°00'53.0"W and waked out on the sand during an unremarkable low tide, and boom; had my limit in less than a half hour. The full reality, though, includes cleaning the sand out of these pretty little critters and I tried everything I could find -- soaking in aerated clean tap water, salt water, with corn meal (a wives tail, according to reliable sources, but worth a try) and without, 1 day, 2 days, 3 days, they were as gritty as when I dug them up. In the end I froze the clams in a bag for crab and surf fishing bait.

I'm sure they're good without the grit, so if you have a reliable method to clean them, please share.
--
Mike

Hobie Revo
OKM2XL

Jrob

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016

The full reality, though, includes cleaning the sand out of these pretty little critters and I tried everything I could find -- soaking in aerated clean tap water, salt water, with corn meal (a wives tail, according to reliable sources, but worth a try) and without, 1 day, 2 days, 3 days, they were as gritty as when I dug them up.
[/quote]

Agree!  I took my family for purple varnish clams out of the siletz a month ago.  We went out on a +2ft low tide, there was tons of sandy flats, and easy clamming- all the clams were about 4-6 inches below the surface.  Dug with shovels and by hand- hand seemed to work the best at finding the clams. 
HOWEVER, these clams have very long thin necks and did not de-sand at all despite 24 hour soak.  Very gritty.  Flavor would be good, but grit ruined the experience.  I like littlenecks way better, as they desand well.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I've made the effort to clean and eat varnish clams ONCE and that was all it took for me as well.  The neck is a two piece deal that looks like two earth worms.  I don't think they bothered to pump clear of sand, so I cleaned them like razor clams. In some ways they actually tasted similar.  Just not worth the amount of work required for the meat. 

However!

Clams make great crab bait and these varnish clams are super simple to collect in most bays.  You don't even need a minus tide, just a low tide.  Wear waders or shorts if you can handle cold water, and just kneel down in a shallow channel about where you would find sand shrimp.  Dig a 12" diameter hole about 6-10" deep with your hands.  In that single hole you may very easily find 5-10 clams.  Now, just keep widening your hole with your hands as you go, picking up 2-5 clams at a time.  I've limited out well within a 4' wide circle, only about 8" deep.

Crush the shells with your foot and shove as many as you can into your crab bait bag. 
Happy crabbing!

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15