Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:17:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Throw ropes. Overkill for open water?  (Read 5223 times)

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011

Hydrospider,

You've been given lots of advice--- it's up to you to decide where your priorities lie. And it sounds like you have made that decision.
   You might look at other areas to save weight--- as that seemed to be your main consideration. How many lead sinkers are packing ? a  lead battery for electronics ? heavy poles and reels that could be changed out for lighter equipment ? I'd bet we can all shed a few un-needed pounds of gear on our boats.
  Or get a bigger boat and take all the excess crap you want . Your call....
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
FYI...  Those in the Portland area, Fisherman's has their throw rope/bag for $13.  Looks like the sidewalk sale pricing ends tomorrow.

http://www.fishermans-marine.com/maxxon-rescue-throw-bag.html

-Sam

Turns out I'm across town today getting windows tinted on Mama's car, and pretty close to Fisherman's, so I think I'll swing by and pick up a pair of these throw bags to replace the sorta crappy ones I have now.

I always seem to miss when these are on sale at their sidewalk sales, thanks for the reminder.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Hydrospider

Hydrospider,

You've been given lots of advice--- it's up to you to decide where your priorities lie. And it sounds like you have made that decision.
   You might look at other areas to save weight--- as that seemed to be your main consideration. How many lead sinkers are packing ? a  lead battery for electronics ? heavy poles and reels that could be changed out for lighter equipment ? I'd bet we can all shed a few un-needed pounds of gear on our boats.
  Or get a bigger boat and take all the excess crap you want . Your call....

Thank you for the suggestions. Please trust that the throw bag was not the first weight to go.
Fishing gear was the first thing addressed and is where I have dumped the most weight.
Im using the ultralight 10 rechargeable AA battery pack until Im convinced the kayak ready lithiums are the real thing. Ill probably wait for the second gen before I switch.
 Getting bigger boats does seem to be what the mainstream kayak fishing community believes in and boats have gotten BIG to support this belief. Its just not for me. The open water boats in my quiver are lighter and quicker than most that are in production now and my next probable purchase is being marketed as the fastest yet for a roto-molded SOT. I want to keep them quick.

Lighter is faster and speed saves.

Here is my fastest "fishing kayak" and after I test paddle the super scupper, it will likely be added to the rack.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Hydro, I see a woman in the window with a glass of wine looking down at your kayak begging you to put your toys away and get inside and spend some quality time with her. 

I could be wrong, not usually, but it's a possibility.  ;)

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Hydrospider

Unfortunately, that was not the case in this particular photo.
This was taken to promote the sale of this boat. It sold, but was soon returned when circumstances changed for the buyer. I gladly took it back.
This boat has always been a favorite with the ladies that I have paddled with.
She didn't want it to go.
My apologies for taking my thread off topic. I realize that these photos may be distracting.

Notice the bowline AND the throw bag in the tank well in the second photo.
Part of my problem with the rope was where I had it stowed.
It's only natural to want to store things in the tank well or stern of the boat, but aft weight takes away both speed and glide. And, if you put the bag on the bow it becomes a hook magnet.

Whether you agree with my removal of safety gear or not, it seems that there may have been a few here that might purchase a throw bag and/or practice throwing at targets on the water after reading the thread.
Maybe.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 04:21:09 PM by Hydrospider »

xiaolu

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
Where I am (Province of Ontario, Canada) by law all boats (kayaks included) must have throw rope at least 50 feet long on board AT ALL TIMES, so I just can't remove it;-)

Hydrospider

I decided to share this live bait rescue. Not really that applicable to the topic of open water use, but this is a nice grab and some solid team work.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/JqFoIINnTi5zO" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p>via GIPHY</p>

https://giphy.com/gifs/JqFoIINnTi5zO/html5
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 03:52:28 PM by Hydrospider »

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
It was a nice grab, but you’re right the tide only runs that hard in ought sound when you’ve stayed out too long and are trying to get in fast  ;D

anything