Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:44:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jed
[Today at 01:45:57 PM]

[Today at 12:21:09 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 11:35:40 AM]

[Today at 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Preferred rigs for fishing various species  (Read 1776 times)

Wilfite

• Rockfish
  • Fish'n's good, Catch'n's better.
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
I'm sure this has been discussed before.  What is everyone's opinion on best type of rig for fishing from a kayak in various circumstances?

For trout?
For Bass?
For Sturgeon?
For Salmon?
For Catfish?
For Halibut?
For whatever else?

Right now I'm using a light 5'6" spinning rod I bought at a campground one year because that's all they had for sale.  So far I've only been fishing for bass and trout.  Obviously it's not the right combination for sturgeon or springers, among other things.  On the other hand, I have a couple 8' heavy spinning poles in my garage for beach or surf fishing but I'm thinking they are really too long for the kayak.  As I get into next year and start fishing a wider variety of species, I'd like to settle on 2-3 "go-to" rigs.  I don't have a wall full of rods and reels and am not particularly inclined to specialize that much.  Since it's cold out and I don't have a dry suit at least we can talk here and I can plan for when it does warm up.  Otherwise I'd be out paddling and casting  ;D

What's the preferred rod length?  Spinning rod for all or should I carry one baitcast and one spinning?  I personally actually prefer baitcasting (or even a zebco) over the usual spinning real because I grew up fishing those types.  The west coast fetish for "spinning everything" always mystifies me.  I have the opposite problem from everyone else, I get birdsnests from spinning reels.  How about line type and weight?  Favorite lures?  Come on, here's your chance to be an expert!  :hello2:

I know this is basic stuff but I'm essentially starting over so that's where I am.  I can search and read (and I will) but it's too quiet in here.  Let's chat!  :banjo:
-Tony

Wilderness Systems Thresher 15.5 (Yellow)
Old Town Predator MK, (Lime Green Camo)

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
Do what I do: Go to Fisherman's and buy one of everything.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
I usually take two rods along and limit myself to that. The purpose is to have two presentations to use without having to spend time tying knots and switching things around on the water. I have gotten carried away bringing too many options onboard and not using everything anyway so I stick with two rods. I'll say that length is a factor. You want them long enough to reach around the bow if the fish goes under the kayak. For me, that's about 6' minimum. Too long and you can run into the problem of not being able to net the fish especially if you have long gear like a salmon trolling rig with flasher, dropper etc. My main ones are 7-8'. Most of my reels are spinning except for a couple but that's just my preference. I don't get too fancy with expensive gear (well, maybe I have splurged somewhat on some steelhead rods and reels) but, for example, I use the same 6' ugly stiks with small president reels and 12# mono for both freshwater bass fishing and jigging rockfish. Some day that may come back to bite me when I hook a really big fish but, the vast majority of the fish I've gotten are all under 5# so it's been working out fine. Just hose off the reel after saltwater use. Then I have a second much heavier rod along in the ocean if I am trying to target larger fish. You'll probably find a lot of opinions about what tackle to use. I have found it helpful to study reports and see what others are using and then pick a couple to try to go out and master.

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
Do what I do: Go to Fisherman's and buy one of everything.

Or two of everything, like me.

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
From my kayak: I fish for trout, kokanee, chinook, coho, herring, surf perch, rockfish and ling cod.  I also fish for halibut and tuna from a power boat.  So, I've amassed an arsenal of rods/reels/tackle.  Some of my gear can double for multiple species, but I pretty much have gear for each species.  I'll buy tackle that seems to work best for the waters im targeting, and I enjoy making some of my own stuff (rod building, jig pouring, soft bait plastic molds).  The amount of gear you have is limited only by funds and space allocation.  Start small and acquire as you go.  One of my favorite setups is an 8'6" lamiglas 8-17lb rated rod with a shimano curado 200 spoiled with 30lb braid.  It's my primary salmon rod and has been a LOT of fun reeling in some nice fish. I usually fish that with a cut plug or whole herring on a 2hook mooching rig (often without a flasher). It'll double as my herring jigging rig too.

Wilfite

• Rockfish
Interesting.  That's 2 of you with 8' rods.  My thinking that 8' was too long was based on two assumptions.  1)  getting the fish to the boat would be difficult and 2) access in/out of the rod hatch with a longer pole might be more difficult.  I suppose #2 is still a bit of a concern.

I am paddling a thresher 155, so based on the comments above I guess I should be using a 7-8 foot rod to get around the bow.  I am not fishing salt for a while yet, so the biggest fish I might see are channel cats and salmon next year.  For sturgeon, my current 8' rod should be perfect but I think it might be too heavy for lighter fish.  What weight rods would y'all suggest for general use if I am limiting myself to 2 rods on the boat?  Is there a truly compelling reason for more than 2?  Is there a good compromise that would let me keep to one?

How about tackle?  What is your "go to" rigging for various species.  I am trying to avoid taking the proverbial kitchen sink with me.  I'd like to limit my tackle to 2-3 3600 boxes.  Right now all I am taking are a couple wedding rings, a couple rappala bass lures and the usual smattering of hooks, weights and floats. 

I know there is no one "right" answer.  My goal for this year has not been to "go get fish" so much but to get used to fishing and learn the right techniques from onboard my yak.  Next year, though, I most definitely am going out to get fish so help a brother increase his odds here :-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

-Tony

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
One 9'0" 5wt fly rod and one 9'0" 10wt fly rod, half a dozen fly lines, and you're good for everything on your list.    :banjo:

(You can net fish with 11' rods.  Ask surfs12foot.)
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I bring two rods with me for whatever species I'm targeting - for the same reason C_run mentioned - to have separate rods rigged with different tackle.  Kokanee for example, I could either have the two rod endorsement and fish 2 rods simultaneously trolling (I use 7ft 2-6lb rods and bait caster reels with 12lb mono), or a trolling rod and a jig rod (which I use an ice-fishing 3ft rod and a spinning reel with metered braid).  For salmon, I'll have a trolling rod for a herring/flasher and sometimes either a spinning rod (also 8'6"), or a bobber rod (8'6") that is set up for eggs/sandshrimp.  I don't typically store any of my rods inside the kayak - even for saltwater trips.  Most rods I've seen for kayak fishing salmon are much longer than my 8'6" length.  But I've caught salmon on my 6'6" ugly stick spinning rod (6-12lb) that I also use for trout, so you don't need a long rod unless you are using a long leader.  Opinions on length will vary depending on who you ask.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Fly rods, I tell you.  They cover a wider range of fish than you'd think could be true of any one rod...

You're going to add to your collection of rods and reels as you go along.  After amassing in impressive pile of rod and reels I decided I couldn't have a rod for each and every fish out there, and settled on three.  I used spinning rods exclusively, a 7'0" light rod for 1/8th to 5/8th ounce tackle.  An 8'6" medium-heavy rod for 1/2 to 1-1/2 ounce tackle.  A 9'6" medium-light rod for 1/8th to 5/8ths ounce tackle.  Each rod works well with tackle heavier than what it's designed for and I never found a need for a level wind or baitcasting reel.

I liked to spool with 40 yards or so of mono, followed by braid, and then monofilament leader.  Personal preference, but I never ran straight braid to the lure.  Most 10# braid is the same diameter as 3# monofilament so I used that on light and rods and reels.  Fifteen to twenty pound braid for medium-heavy rods.  Twenty to twenty-five pound braid for heavy rods and reels.

This is only a personal opinion and many people won't agree, but I never saw a reason to use lines much heavier than the maximum drag the reel can produce.  If my reel can put on 20lbs of drag, I never saw a reason to use more than a 25# line.  I never had a line break, so it worked for me.  YMMV.  I bought rods based on the weight of the lures they're designed for and not on the pound test of the lines.  I fish lures, not lines, so the lure weight was most important to me.

I use silly light leaders, so I won't talk about those.

After I switched to fly-fishing and gave the spinning rods and reels to my kids and grandkids, I kept three for myself: my 7'0" light rod with a 3000-series reel, my 9'6" medium-light rod with a 3000-series reel, and my 8'6" medium rod with a 4000-series reel.  I don't think I could lift a halibut or stop a tuna, but I'd expect one of those rods would work fine for anything else.

There is no right rod for each situation you're in, what fish you're targeting, or the technique you're using.  Rod "X" may be better than rod "Y" for trolling for salmon, but you can make rod "Y" work just fine.  People catch lingcod with 24-inch Barbie poles - on purpose, if you can you believe it - and I was fishing for smallmouth with a light rod and accidentally landed a 42lb Muskie.  It just shows that you don't need lots of specialty rods for special situations; you simply need to learn to use the rod in your hand.

You have a light rod - a bit short, but it'll do - so you're good up to bass.  Add a medium or medium-heavy rod - I'd suggest an Ugly Stik as the beast all-round rod in that weight class - and you'll have all you need until you go after tuna, giant sturgeon or halibut.

I carried two rods only one time and I'll never do that again.  Fish don't always cross your bow, sometimes they cross the stern, and the extra rod back there is just waiting to make me cry.  DAMHIK.

$0.02
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 05:46:58 PM by Tinker »

Wilfite

• Rockfish
Thanks for the advice, Tinker.  I do have a fly rod, but I must confess I got it to learn fly fishing "some day".  No idea how to use me it. 

So...barbie poles...is that what it sounds like?  I caught halibut and ling cod on 24" poles in Alaska, but they were like 40# rods.  First time I caught a ling scared the crap out of me!  I was expecting a king, then this gigantic mouthful of TEETH! comes out of the water at me :-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

-Tony

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
The best type of gear for any particular fish is clearly "whatever catches them". 
And this is just about as conclusive as what is the best car to drive.  Both situations depend on many factors.

Granted, you can get a zillion suggestions and all of them (minus explosives) are going to be right.....for that person.
You're mileage may vary.

Other than specifics required by regulations, you can really get away with just about anything within reason.  It mostly has to do with presentation, and that the fish actually being there.

It usually comes down to trying some of the suggestions, (or all of them as long as you have the budget) and find gain some  confidence in one or more of the rigs.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
So...barbie poles...is that what it sounds like?  I caught halibut and ling cod on 24" poles in Alaska, but they were like 40# rods.  First time I caught a ling scared the crap out of me!  I was expecting a king, then this gigantic mouthful of TEETH! comes out of the water at me :-)

Yep, just what it sounds like.  I suggested an Ugly Stik because they're inexpensive and rugged and will get you on your way.  Then, as INSAYN advised, you'll figure out what's going to work for you (and start draining your saving account).

Leave the fly rod in the closet!  Don't start fly fishing!  It's a disease that makes the people you know avoid you because you've lost your mind.  No kidding.