Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:04:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Angler of the Year 2016 - Kickoff and questions  (Read 27479 times)

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
I recall last year there was a request for members to send a note to the organizers with their screen name when they paid so it would be easier for them to match the payment to the proper member.  Is that still the case? 

Also, if you are lurking and on the fence about joining, do it!  I found it to be an amazing way to learn about new fisheries and species.  Most of the fish I entered last year were the very first time I had caught that species ... And that was very rewarding. 

Prizes are fun too ;)

There is a field in the PayPal form on the site for your aoty username.  If you enter it there you should be all set.

I'm a bit behind on getting the 2016 AOTY Website set up.  Hopefully tomorrow, but definitely this week. 

Brian
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I'm in too. The AOTY committee has a few last minute changes (nothing major so calm down) that I think will spice this year up a bit. Also a lot of the big dogs are retiring, so I can guarantee we'll have a new champ in 2016.My goals for AOTY are the following:

1-Win the baby cup (I just invented this). Qualifiers need to have at least one child under two years old during some part of 2016. If you are a new parent you may only enter fish after the arrival of the kiddo in the baby cup.  Nate, I'm coming for you ;) Winner gets a beer variety pack from John's market. Anyone else in? Yaktastic?
2-Have an average score higher than Langcod. I plan to take a quality over quantity approach this year, the opposite of his usually approach ;)
3-Have fun, fish with friends.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I may just have to sign up this year for AOTY. Not that I got a chance to place but just for fun and HOW of course  ;D

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
I may just have to sign up this year for AOTY. Not that I got a chance to place but just for fun and HOW of course  ;D
You can also make it a personal challenge to improve over last year, or catch X number of new species. Or just to beat your buddy :) 

Bigjim

• Lingcod
  • No white flags.
  • Date Registered: Jun 2013
You can also make it a personal challenge to improve over last year, or catch X number of new species. Or just to beat your buddy :)

That to me is the coolest aspect of AOTY or DOTY...can document your PB scores, PB fish etc and compare how you stack up against yourself year after year....

For example, I can look back and see that:

In 2014 I got my PB Verm and Butt...

http://doty.norcalkayakanglers.com/catches/1320

http://doty.norcalkayakanglers.com/catches/1168

In 2015 I got my PB Cab and Sheep:

http://doty.norcalkayakanglers.com/catches/1884

http://doty.norcalkayakanglers.com/catches/1986

Got a nice butt in 2015 as well but not a PB:

http://doty.norcalkayakanglers.com/catches/1793

I love being able to look back using the software...yes, I'm kind of a dork.

8)

Sincerely,

Jim

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013

My biggest motivator in AOTY is to compete with my buddies!

Dark Tuna

• Lingcod
  • "Dark Tuna?"
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
This thread should probably replace the sticky post for the 2015 AOTY...

2015 Jackson Big Tuna (tandem) (dark forest)
2016 Hobie Outback LE (screamin' orange)
2014 KC Kayaks K12 (the better half's, in camo)
2015 Jackson Kraken 13.5 (bluefin)

Raymarine Dragonfly; BB Angler Aces; Kokatat Hydrus 3L SuperNova Angler Dry Suit; Stohlquist Fisherman PFD

yaktastic

• A cowboy in a kayak? I never was normal.
  • Salmon
  • shut up and let me fish.
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I'm in too. The AOTY committee has a few last minute changes (nothing major so calm down) that I think will spice this year up a bit. Also a lot of the big dogs are retiring, so I can guarantee we'll have a new champ in 2016.My goals for AOTY are the following:

1-Win the baby cup (I just invented this). Qualifiers need to have at least one child under two years old during some part of 2016. If you are a new parent you may only enter fish after the arrival of the kiddo in the baby cup.  Nate, I'm coming for you ;) Winner gets a beer variety pack from John's market. Anyone else in? Yaktastic?
2-Have an average score higher than Langcod. I plan to take a quality over quantity approach this year, the opposite of his usually approach ;)

A July baby won't give me much time but I might give it a go.im just wondering how much fishing I can do without getting in trouble lol.
4th place 2017 TBKD Rockfish.

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!

A July baby won't give me much time but I might give it a go.im just wondering how much fishing I can do without getting in trouble lol.
Ha! I hear you on that one. Although Nate has already taken his kid steelhead and sturgeon fishing by two months old. Mamma will need some breaks ;)

yaktastic

• A cowboy in a kayak? I never was normal.
  • Salmon
  • shut up and let me fish.
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013

[/quote]
Ha! I hear you on that one. Although Nate has already taken his kid steelhead and sturgeon fishing by two months old. Mamma will need some breaks ;)
[/quote]

Car seat on the Hobie or hitch the T13 to the revo.
4th place 2017 TBKD Rockfish.

jgrady

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2010
So I've signed up to give it another try, Hope to do a bit better then a few years back, With lots of life changes maybe some time to fish again, Did I see something about allowing Sails? my kayak Doesn't have one but that could be interesting. But then I saw the No sail on the rule list so ??? jeff

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
So I've signed up to give it another try, Hope to do a bit better then a few years back, With lots of life changes maybe some time to fish again, Did I see something about allowing Sails? my kayak Doesn't have one but that could be interesting. But then I saw the No sail on the rule list so ??? jeff

We are a little slow getting the front page updated. Yes, sails are allowed this year, as long as all other craft restrictions are followed.

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!

[/quote]

Car seat on the Hobie or hitch the T13 to the revo.
[/quote]
It could totally work. The motion would totally put the newborn to sleep. We would just need INSAYN to invent some sort of ejection mechanism in case the kayak were to huli.

Good to see you back. What's the current kayak? I seem to recall you having to sell off your old one?

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
An Insayn design car seat that always self rights like the new coastguard boats maybe? Some kind of gyro around the hull that always keeps the car seat on top no matter how many times it rolls with a wet release system on the bottom of said car seat in case of total swamping?

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

cdat

Signed up for my 1st time, figure it's a great donation.  I do have a couple of questions regarding fish points, bluegill aren't listed separately or included as a panfish, yet is mentioned in "Tiny Fish" contest, am I just confusing myself again?  Bull trout?, thought those were illegal to catch in Oregon, or am I misreading the rules.  Thanks for help in clarifying my meager little mind.
John

anything