Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:03:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Angler of the Year 2016 - Kickoff and questions  (Read 27663 times)

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I may need to try this again.  I just don't catch any fish other than Kings and Halibut which is pretty lame for me to complain given I fish year round even in Alaska.  lol. 

Can someone help me out with this ruke'

10. Use of motherships is prohibited. "Mothership" is defined as arriving by and launching from a boat. Use of a vessel(e.g. water taxi, ferry, or privately owned boat) to travel to a destination for overnight or multi-day trips is not considered mothershipping. Camping on boats is permitted and kayaks may be launched from the boat, as long as the vessel was moored overnight and the kayaks are launched from the overnight mooring location.

Two questions.

A) I was considering taking a powered vessel to a location.  Land on shore.  Then start from shore and land back on to the shore.  Same day.  That is legal or not legal? 

B) Less likely but this seems to imply that as long as I "overnighted" on a moored boat, I can launch and land off a powered vessel?

Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Great questions!

A) I don't know. I will ask the committee.

B) Yes, you are reading that correctly.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
While the final 2016 placement is public knowledge I'm trying to get the time together to put up a 2016 wrap-up post, so bear with me - it's coming!

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
A) I was considering taking a powered vessel to a location.  Land on shore.  Then start from shore and land back on to the shore.  Same day.  That is legal or not legal? 

I discussed this with another committee member:

Since the rule stipulates an overnight stay for mothershipping, this would not be legal, even if you launch/land from shore once you get to your destination.

I understand why you'd want to do this in Alaska! But I think the rule is good as-is.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
OK. I'm fine with any rule.  But I better not catch the other folks using a ferry from Seattle  to get to Olympic peninsula and fishing the same day.  Lol. Seems sorta kinda similar. Haha.

Thanks for the clarification!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
OK. I'm fine with any rule.  But I better not catch the other folks using a ferry from Seattle  to get to Olympic peninsula and fishing the same day.  Lol. Seems sorta kinda similar. Haha.

It is the exact same thing .... using a motorized vehicle to cross water instead of your kayak ....
I think the rule should be broadened to include driving over bridges and then fishing afterwards.

Kinda absurd that you can fly to Kodiak and then go fishing but if you were to take a water taxi that then becomes mother shipping. 

Hell let's eliminate cars too .... if you use any motor vehicle to transport your kayak you are cheating!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009

It's similar, but different, because the Ferry goes to a known location on a regularly traveled route and you generally continue driving afterwards.  If you're able to select the destination and get dropped off just to fish from your kayak, that puts you at an advantage.  Now, if it's a regular route that isn't put there specifically for you and would have gone there with or without you, it's good to go IMO. 

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
I'm going to put all of my apologies and excuses here so as not to jam up the (soon to be) new thread...

Just want to say thank you to everyone for your patience... wrapping up AOTY 2016 has been more work than I expected, and that has collided with a busier January than I expected.

The good news is that I should be putting up a post "real soon" (tonight/tomorrow likely) with the official recognition of the top finishers and prize announcements and all that good stuff, and following that we'll get a 2017 kickoff post going too.

I'm also happy to announce that Next Adventure is our first confirmed sponsor for 2017 and I expect a lot of our other sponsors to return too.

Casey

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
I'm going to put all of my apologies and excuses here so as not to jam up the (soon to be) new thread...

Just want to say thank you to everyone for your patience... wrapping up AOTY 2016 has been more work than I expected, and that has collided with a busier January than I expected.

The good news is that I should be putting up a post "real soon" (tonight/tomorrow likely) with the official recognition of the top finishers and prize announcements and all that good stuff, and following that we'll get a 2017 kickoff post going too.

I'm also happy to announce that Next Adventure is our first confirmed sponsor for 2017 and I expect a lot of our other sponsors to return too.
You're the man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk