Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 12:17:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Spot
[Today at 10:57:58 AM]

[Today at 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Flotation in an SOT Kayak?  (Read 13774 times)

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
(Meant to be SOT-Sit on Top in the heading)
Did the best I could to look for a thread.  Checked with Ocean Kayak and in a worst scenario, a flooded kayak with no flotation will sink pending attached gear.  I'v decided to use an old PFD to wrap around the hanging battery bag up front and have stuffed some others back under behind the seat under the cargo area.  Thought about getting an typical flotation bag to stick under and inflate.  I keep my lids on and have been in rough water with things undercover totally dry so that's one issue.  Just wonder if guys, especially ocean fishing have any flotation in the hollow plastic tube kayaks.  Just thinking about the kayak, personal gear is a different topic...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 10:29:09 AM by Spot »

Merz

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
What kind of kayak is it?
-Evan
1st 2016 AOTY
1st 2018 SBAOTD
1st 2019 BCS
1st 2022 SBAOTD
1st 2023 BCS
1st 2023 OKBF Davis Lake Flying Kayak Open
1st 2023 SBAOTD

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
What kind of kayak is it?
Is it a sit-on-top kayak, or a sit-inside kayak?  "SIT" isn't a term I'm familiar with. And what do you mean by "hollow plastic tube kayaks?"

If it's a sit-on-top kayak, one way to add flotation is by stuffing a bunch of pool noodles into the kayak in places where you wouldn't want to store gear, such as under the rear cargo area or up in the gunwales.  Strap them together or to things inside the kayak so they don't slide around inside the kayak.

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
are you referring to a SIT as a SINK=sit in kayak?
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
You can also buy inflatable canoe flotation bags (bow and stern specific) at WWW.NRSWEB.COM, Outdoorplay.com and at ACK.COM. There's probably more sites butI know those 3 have them.
For a Trident 15 (SOT) for instance, you will need 2 large of each [ that advice came from NRS]
Hope that helps.
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Sit-InTo.  One less letter than SINK and I'm in favor of fewer letters!

The fitted floatation bags will be the best and most expensive option.  There's no reason why you can't use pool noodles in a SINK the same way we use them in SOT's.  You can throw empty gallon water bottles in a pillowcase - Arrowhead, with the screw-on caps do a good job.  You can go more expensive - but still less costly than floatation bags - and get some 6 x 36-inch foam yoga rollers.  Beach balls, soccer balls...

For a while, Amazon had 6-inch x 36 inch yoga rollers for $6.00.  I got a bunch and put them in the kayaks - because a flooded SOT is no different than a flooded SINK.  Just in case you were wondering.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 03:05:42 PM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
 Forgot about the beach ball trick. Those would be far cheaper and work just as well.
Just checked Amazon, yoi can get like a dozen 24 inch beach balls for $16.00
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 03:06:03 PM by [WR] »
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

yaksurf

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Pool noodles work great.  They're probably still in the stores now most stores pull them off the shelf for the winter.  They're cheap and they won't develop a leak.
1st Place 2010 AOTD Sunset Bay Tournament
1st Place 2011 AOTD Sunset Bay Tournament
4th Place Gemme Shelter Six Annual Tournament
3rd Place 2012 Sunset Bay AOTD
3rd Place 2013 Sunset Bay AOTD
1st Place 2014 Sunset Bay AOTD

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
Forgot about the beach ball trick. Those would be far cheaper and work just as well.
Just checked Amazon, yoi can get like a dozen 24 inch beach balls for $16.00

another option- when you get a box from Amazon (or whoever) and it has a big strip of those air filled cushion things they pack with, stuff them into an empty space inside your hull.  repeat a few times.   
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Didn't someone do a rough calculation of how much of how little floatation it takes to keep a kayak afloat?  I couldn't find it in a SEARCH, but I remember it being "not very much".
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Trident 13

• Salmon
Sorry, I mis-typed SOT and meant to include any kayak that could be filled completely with water and having no flotation.

My Trident 13 wasn't the focus.  Old PDF's I've inserted as well as all the things mentioned above work fine.  I've talked with some new sit-on-top owners and "hollow plastic tube" owners and asked what they use for flotation, most say nothing.  Just thought it was a topic worth bringing up in the Safety forum in case others hadn't thought about kayaks without water tight sections that when filled with water (hatches bad or off) and holding a little weight will sink without some help.  I do like the beach ball  thought as they would be pretty form-fitting.  Bubble wrap is tough even when you try to break it to scare the cat, lol.

Warf

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jan 2015
I have a
Ocean Kayak Big Game 2 and I managed to stuff 18 pool noodles inside  and it still leaves lots of room of storage of misc. stuff. I folded most of them in half and did a little duc tape to hold them folded. 

Most went into the no mans land behind the seat  inside the yak where if things slide back there they disappear, lots of room in most yaks, my  boat should float like a cork.

If I remember right one cubic foot of air will support 63 lbs in the water, most life jackets will support about 19 lbs or less....warf

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
I have a
Ocean Kayak Big Game 2 and I managed to stuff 18 pool noodles inside  and it still leaves lots of room of storage of misc. stuff. I folded most of them in half and did a little duc tape to hold them folded. 

Most went into the no mans land behind the seat  inside the yak where if things slide back there they disappear, lots of room in most yaks, my  boat should float like a cork.

If I remember right one cubic foot of air will support 63 lbs in the water, most life jackets will support about 19 lbs or less....warf

POOMA, but that's gotta be too high. A gallon of water is 8#, so you're saying you can fit 8 gallons into a 1'x1'x1' container ? I'll say more like 3-4 gallons max, so somewhere in the neighborhood of 30# of floatation in 1cf.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
I have a

POOMA, but that's gotta be too high. A gallon of water is 8#, so you're saying you can fit 8 gallons into a 1'x1'x1' container ? I'll say more like 3-4 gallons max, so somewhere in the neighborhood of 30# of floatation in 1cf.

yes, there are 7.48 gallons per cubic foot.   
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Trident 13

• Salmon
lol, I appreciate the thoughts and the technical clarification.  I have what I was looking for, which was some good ideas of what others are doing and hope new kayakers have some information as well. 

I did find this link before posting and had some of the technical down, this is just interesting reading if you're curious.  Turns out a 75-lb yak might not need 75-lbs of flotation once in the water:
http://www.screamandfly.com/archive/index.php/t-53895.html