Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:49:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Curious, How much tackle do you all take with you in your Kayak?  (Read 3552 times)

IslandHoppa

• iHoppa
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
My son is one of the best fishermen I know. He generally carries whatever he’s going to fish in 1 quart Ziploc. For Steelhead it’s Corkys & yarn, for Bass it’s pumpkinseed Senko’s, for salmon it’s a 2 ounce cannonball, eggs and Sand shrimp. He generally carries no food. He lived in Eureka for many years, Survived on fish. He figures out what works and sticks to it. I on the other hand carry so much crap I can barely keep my TI afloat 🤡

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iHop

"Of all the things that wisdom provides to help one live one's entire life in happiness, the greatest by far is the possession of friendship." Epicurus

Hobie Tandem Island. OK Tetra 12, Jackson Coosa

reelmccoy

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Nov 2015
I used to take the “kitchen sink” but have gotten tired of the time it takes to set up.  So I’m down to a soft bag, with Two Plano boxes and a few bags of soft plastics.  I don’t fish the ocean anymore as I live inland, so lakes are where I fish.  If I’m trolling for trout or salmon I have a box with weights, divers, etc that I throw in.  I usually have at least two spare rods, prerigged with backup lures.  Even so, it is amazing how much crap and be crammed into two Plano boxes!

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I probably take "too much" gear, but then again, when someone runs out of something on the water I'm usually the guy who has more to share, so consider that.

Also there's been a few times, especially on the salt, where switching up gear repeatedly was necessary to get the fish to bite. Sure, if you're targeting a single species all day you can minimize effectively - when I am going smallmouth fishing I can fit everything in a small area pretty easily. But if you're fishing multiple species or you're going to be on the water long enough to run out of something, in my opinion it's better to have too much than too little.

For me it's less the tackle and bait that end up taking up too much room and more the measuring boards, nets, extra hat/coat/etc.

Cosmo

• Salmon
  • Integrity-It's What You Do When No One's Looking
  • DADventurerNW
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
I probably take "too much" gear, but then again, when someone runs out of something on the water I'm usually the guy who has more to share, so consider that.

Also there's been a few times, especially on the salt, where switching up gear repeatedly was necessary to get the fish to bite. Sure, if you're targeting a single species all day you can minimize effectively - when I am going smallmouth fishing I can fit everything in a small area pretty easily. But if you're fishing multiple species or you're going to be on the water long enough to run out of something, in my opinion it's better to have too much than too little.

For me it's less the tackle and bait that end up taking up too much room and more the measuring boards, nets, extra hat/coat/etc.

I totally agree with Captain Redbeard.  I always have more gear than I need, but often share with the people I'm fishing with.  I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I've done away with the crate, tackle bag, bucket, etc.  There's already not enough room in the rear well of most kayaks for much other than a stringer of fish.  I pack my gear, pre-tied rigs, etc into small drybags with a carabineer attached.  I also tied a loop of bungie cord into the underside of the hatch door.  The dry bags and Tupperware go into the center hatch, and clipped onto the bungie so I can grab them and they don't slide around where I can't reach them.  The Dry bags keep the gear dry, and organized.  I've got one for each species I'm fishing for, lings, rocks, salt salmon, river salmon, etc.

You can get the multi colored drybags on Amazon, around $10 for three.

I also have a tackleweb pocket zip tied to the back of my seat for my fish bonker, stringer, snack, etc so my deck is clean.   I also have tackleweb side pockets made for the Outback that hold sinkers, scent, etc.

Packing lots of gear is one thing.  Being able to get to it without rolling out of your kayak or puking while digging for it is another thing.
Cosmo
2 Hobie Mirage Outbacks 2014

reelmccoy

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Nov 2015
The dry bags in the hatch with a hook on the back of the hatch is a great idea.  Tackle webs are good idea too.  I think I’ll get some of those for sure to make my Tackle Managment better!