Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:56:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 19, 2024, 09:27:54 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Rail vs. Mount  (Read 4319 times)

IdahoSkies

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Just wondering what the consensus and preference is about using rail sections (like the yak attack/wilderness system) with moving mounts, versus the fixed mounts like the scotty  mounts. 

Why did you choose what you did. 

I have always used the mounts but I'm outfitting a smaller yak and wondering about using rails on it but wanted to get some advice who have tried both before I drill the holes.

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I think that rails are better than fixed mounts, because you can install equipment from a variety of manufacturers on a rail, and you can change the location of equipment on a rail.  If you install a fixed mount on your kayak, you can only use equipment from the manufacturer of the mount in that mount, and you may later wish that you had installed the fixed mount in a different location for some or all purposes.  The advantages of rails over fixed mounts are greater if this is your first fishing kayak, because you will probably learn a lot about good ways to outfit a fishing kayak in your first couple of years of kayak fishing.

yaktastic

• A cowboy in a kayak? I never was normal.
  • Salmon
  • shut up and let me fish.
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I'm with Pete. Rails with mounts is the way to go.its personal preference but anything a fixed mount can do, a mount on a rail can do better.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 12:05:40 PM by yaktastic »
4th place 2017 TBKD Rockfish.

WestFork

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Apr 2017
Good question! No right answer, though.  :-)
I like a rail just because it has a larger foot to spread load out onto more of the hull. Just because you can line a lot up on a rail doesn't mean it works well to do so. You need to think about visibility, access, congestion... Also, how do you transport your yak, right side up or upside down? If the latter you need to consider whether either rail or mount will interfere with a rack. Finally, whether a yak is set up better for fixed mounts or rail matters.
My experience is it's better to spend less time on the install and, as you are, more on planning it.
Tight lines!

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I have over 3' of rails on my revo and love the versatility it provides.  Make sure you use backing plates to make your rails as bombproof as necessary for the gear you expect to put on them.

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I don't do rails just because the most likely place to mount them is on the top of the hull and I frequently transport my kayak top side down, so I don't want to smash rails or damage the rack. thus I keep hull topside clear.

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
I transport my kayak upside down on its gunwales, but have padded bars on my roof rack, so the rack doesn't damage my gear tracks.

Skidplate

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2012
I was one of the first people in line to get Yak Attack rails, but now I'm over the "mounts on top of mounts, mounted to a mount". I'm working towards fewer things on my list of things to forget. So, I've recently removed most of my long rails and installed Scotty mounts or Ram balls. My only exceptions are for my camera; for which I use small sections of the plastic track. So far, so good.
My wife thinks fishing is merely guys wandering around like idiots swinging sticks in the air. Many of my trips prove how smart she really is.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I'm a track guy because I want to be able to move my accessories from kayak to kayak and as said above it's nice to use different configurations on different days (i.e. "move stuff around") and also to try different gear.

I also haul my kayaks upside down and so far have never been unlucky enough to have a track line up with a crossbar, so no harm done there.

I do wish Hobie would get with the program and just put flush tracks on the top of the gunwale like the Wilderness Systems Tarpons, Ocean Kayak Tridents, etc.

gnomodom

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I'm a huge fan of rails. The flexibility  afforded is just too nice. You can customize to fit the day or your mood. I am in agreement with Captain Redbeard, I wish the Hobie came with them like my thresher did.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I fully understand the versatility of rail system and why many go that way, it's got merit for sure.

However, I'm a RAM mount fan.  Over the years as I found my groove, I've moved a few things around and removed a RAM mount here and there to make things work to my liking.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I fully understand the versatility of rail system and why many go that way, it's got merit for sure.

However, I'm a RAM mount fan.  Over the years as I found my groove, I've moved a few things around and removed a RAM mount here and there to make things work to my liking.

I use ram balls on my rails.  or scotty gear heads.  or mighty mounts.  That's part of the versitility of rails.  I used a ram mount for my fish finder on my newer santa cruz because there is only one place where it makes any good sense to put it unless I use an articulating arm which I'm not a fan of at all.  The santa cruz also comes with flush tracks already.  Yes, it's about time hobie did that.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Starting to use rails a bit more.  But I do NOT like them for my rod holders.  I have had bad luck with the Scotty Gear head rail mounts as I have broken two of them  They will NOT stand up to any decent size fish.  Yakattack items seem better built.  So far so good for things like fish finders and Broomstick camera mount.
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
The downsides to rails that I've found are:
- Cheap ones don't hold up to a big takedown
- Aluminum ones drag on the rails of my car rack
              - After enough drags, they get nicked up
              - Nicked rails are hell on a drysuit/PFD

All that said, they're versatile and let you dial in your set-up perfectly.

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
I have had bad luck with the Scotty Gear head rail mounts as I have broken two of them  They will NOT stand up to any decent size fish.  Yakattack items seem better built.  So far so good for things like fish finders and Broomstick camera mount.
I agree that Scotty Gear Head rail mounts are not acceptable for mounting anything which is subject to bending or twisting stress, such as a trolling rod holder.  They twist, and all their stress goes on a thin bolt.  However, they work fine for gear which isn't subject to stress, such as a fish finder head.