Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:33:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: *** ORC 2017 Pictures ***  (Read 6116 times)

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Have some ORC photos?
Photos from the event?
Photos from pre-fishing?
Grip and grins of your fish?
Photos of others on the water?
Photos of at weigh in?
Photos at camp?

Post them here!

I'll start off with a few...
First a couple photos of  Chris Mayes "Clayman" (right, 1st place winner)  and Doug Kaber "crash" (left, 2nd place winner) and their 20+ lb lings. 

A photo of my son Owen manning the weigh-in station  "like a boss".
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 10:50:20 AM by bsteves »
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Owen and I didn't fish during the tournament, but we managed to get out on Friday for some pre-fishing.  This was Owen's first time fishing in the ocean and he had a great time.  He also got to practice various "grip and grin" faces.

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

MonkeyFist

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Anonymous yakkers.
Taken at 9:30, south of the bell buoy.

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Friday morning view out the tent

Tournament morning sunrise

I lost an absolute monster before 10am.  It had my heavy ocean rod & reel setup (the one I catch halibut with) completely buried and when it wanted to run there was nothing I could do to stop it.  It pulled down into the rocky reef twice, maybe three times, and I was able to work it free.  When it took its fourth run, the line had been grinding against the rocks too much and I felt a rush of agony when the line parted and I slumped down into my seat.  I grinded it out for the rest of the morning without catching anything else worth noting.  I had already sorted through what seemed like three or four dozen rockfish, a few smaller cabbies and lings overall for the day. 

I headed to the bell buoy as I was making my way back in.  At about 1:20pm I figured I'd give it 10 more minutes as I dropped down onto the top of a shelf that it was only about 30 ft. of water.  Absolutely nothing of interest was on the sonar.  I had a feeling this spot was getting worked over pretty well all day - still not sure as to why I felt like dropping there.  I wasn't down for more than a couple of minutes when I hooked into what seemed to be a pretty heavy fish.  It came up surprisingly easy and not wanting to chance it in any way, I scooped it with the net. 

Then all hell broke loose. 

All that energy it was saving while I was reeling it in was expended in a matter of what was probably less than 10 seconds, but felt like more than 10 minutes.  I have rarely felt that a fish was so powerful that it might actually flip me, but this was one of those times.  I held on for dear life as an explosion of water was occurring next to me.  I finally had a lull, heaved it in and wrapped it up under my legs, then it was quiet.   

Snapped a couple of quick pics and headed for the hole

It ended up at 24 lbs and 40 inches on the dot.  It got some cuddling and spooning at the weigh-in station...

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Nice write up and absolute brute of a lingcod. Way to go!  I'm still amazed (aMayesed?) that we pulled 3 20+lbs fish on tourney day!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 06:15:06 PM by crash »

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
Nice write up and absolute brute of a lingcod. Way to go!  I'm still amazed (aMayesed?) that we pulled 3 20+lbs fish on tourney day!

Me too man, crazy!!  It's been proven before that good ORC conditions = big fish, but dang.... I mean, DANG.

2011 Angler Of The Year
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
I'd heard about ORC for years when I lived in NorCal, and now that I'm an Oregon resident, it was a no-brainer to sign up.  Depoe Bay is only 45 minutes away from my home base in Yachats.  Although I missed out on the pre-tourney camping festivities, it was awesome to put faces to names at the post-tourney ceremony and potluck.  BTW, the potluck was awesome!!  Thank you to everyone who contributed.  Big props to the sponsors and tournament organizers as well--it's a monumental task to get all of this stuff together, and you all have my gratitude!

As for the fishing: couldn't have asked for better conditions.  This was my fourth outing from Depoe Bay, and it was by far the nicest ocean I'd experienced out there...and also the best fishing!  It started out terribly slow for me at first, with my usual waypoints only producing blacks and mid-20 inch lings.  But some shallow-water prospecting got me onto the target fish, the highlight of which was a 40.5 inch, 22.75 pound lingcod.  Once I had that ling in the bag, I knew I was a contender.  Followed it up with a 9+ pound cabezon, then waded through blacks until settling on a 4.75 pounder.  Rounded out my bag with a 1.33 pound kelp greenling.  I was basically done by 1030, but it was so nice out that I kept fishing with the light tackle and exploring the inner reef.

I was only hoping to place somewhere in the Top 10.  I know ORC brings out many stellar anglers, and since I'm still relatively new to Oregon I figured my day would be more of a meet-n-greet type of thing.  But sometimes the cards fall into place and great things happen.  Stoked to place 1st in my first ORC foray!  And I look forward to fishing with more NWKAers.  We can dramatically improve our fishing skills learning from one another.  There's always room to improve ourselves in the craft, and that's what keeps me going.

Here are some pics from tourney day!
aMayesing Bros.

Clayman

• Salmon
Few more pics.
aMayesing Bros.

Clayman

• Salmon

Me too man, crazy!!  It's been proven before that good ORC conditions = big fish, but dang.... I mean, DANG.
+2.  I've never seen that many BIG lings brought in for a tournament.  Every now and then I'm used to seeing maybe one 40+ being weighed in, but three?  ORC was always renowned for its monster cabezon, but this year is one helluva notable exception!
aMayesing Bros.

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
Great pics and congrats on the win!!

2011 Angler Of The Year

Dark Tuna

• Lingcod
  • "Dark Tuna?"
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
A few pics on the water

2015 Jackson Big Tuna (tandem) (dark forest)
2016 Hobie Outback LE (screamin' orange)
2014 KC Kayaks K12 (the better half's, in camo)
2015 Jackson Kraken 13.5 (bluefin)

Raymarine Dragonfly; BB Angler Aces; Kokatat Hydrus 3L SuperNova Angler Dry Suit; Stohlquist Fisherman PFD

Dark Tuna

• Lingcod
  • "Dark Tuna?"
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
And the biggest sighting of the day (first attempt embedding a video)

2015 Jackson Big Tuna (tandem) (dark forest)
2016 Hobie Outback LE (screamin' orange)
2014 KC Kayaks K12 (the better half's, in camo)
2015 Jackson Kraken 13.5 (bluefin)

Raymarine Dragonfly; BB Angler Aces; Kokatat Hydrus 3L SuperNova Angler Dry Suit; Stohlquist Fisherman PFD

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Awesome pictures and videos everyone!! I expected somewhere around a 30lb bag to win it all and you guys did not disappoint!! For my first time fishing out of Depoe bay I was amazed at the quality of fish to be caught! We could've caught our limits in a few hours and been off the water in time to get breakfast!!

I wish I had more to contribute in the way of pictures or video!! I brough my gopro with me, had the batteries charged, yet didn't realize that my memory card was full and I never thought to check... Oh well, live and learn I guess.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
Great pictures!  Sadly I have none that I can add.  Hoping more people add to this thread.
2012 ORC 5th Place

ndogg

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • "Fists of Fury"
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Damn there were some nice fish caught, and Brian your scale and tub weigh station looks amazing.  Way better than years past.  Congrats on pulling together another successful ORC.

anything