Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:31:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Leviathan?  (Read 1850 times)

MurseStrong

• Lingcod
  • 2009 OK T11 2016 Hobie Revo 13 2018 Hobie Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
The sun was just peeking over the coastal range and porpoise gracefully broke the surface when my rod dipped & straightened before wrapping around the port quarter of the yak. Line peeled off the Daiwa Lexa at an alarming rate and I lightly thumbed down in an attempt to derail the hijacker to no avail. I quickly spun around & pushed peddles in pursuit before glancing down in awe at a near empty spool. Picking up 200 plus feet of line, I had just begun to catchup in this race before it again turned on a dime & violently repeated the offense. This process repeated several times without abate until finally I got on top of it to get a better feel for it.  I put some wood to her & was quickly reminded that I was no way in control not even for a split second. The hair stood up on the back of my neck and I simply tried to hang onto the rod as it yet again changed directions & continued to spool me with ease.  “What the hell is this thing…porpoise…Leviathan?”
A second later the fight was over & I was left shaking in defeat.  Leaderless, I reeled up a to a cracked herring helmet pegged on a still intact perfection loop. The large duolock swivel was deformed & dangled lifeless from the butt end of the flasher. I have never felt such a tireless beast of a fish, not even in Baja or our local "Jurassic Park." I’ve consulted some local guides from "Fish Gone Wild" who speculate it could’ve been a Blue Shark, which have been known to inhabit these coastal surf waters, or an extremely large Chinook. Although I’d like to think it was the later, the sheer stamina & insanity that ensued during that short fight convinces me otherwise. Increasingly I find myself day dreaming & yearning for what lays beneath the untamed waters of the Lake Pacific.
If You Know The Answer, Ask Bigger Questions

"You are killing me, fish, the old man thought. But you have a right to. Never have I seen a greater, or more beautiful, or a calmer or more noble thing than you, brother."
-The Old Man and the Sea

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
The sun was just peeking over the coastal range and porpoise gracefully broke the surface when my rod dipped & straightened before wrapping around the port quarter of the yak. Line peeled off the Daiwa Lexa at an alarming rate and I lightly thumbed down in an attempt to derail the hijacker to no avail. I quickly spun around & pushed peddles in pursuit before glancing down in awe at a near empty spool. Picking up 200 plus feet of line, I had just begun to catchup in this race before it again turned on a dime & violently repeated the offense. This process repeated several times without abate until finally I got on top of it to get a better feel for it.  I put some wood to her & was quickly reminded that I was no way in control not even for a split second. The hair stood up on the back of my neck and I simply tried to hang onto the rod as it yet again changed directions & continued to spool me with ease.  “What the hell is this thing…porpoise…Leviathan?”
A second later the fight was over & I was left shaking in defeat.  Leaderless, I reeled up a to a cracked herring helmet pegged on a still intact perfection loop. The large duolock swivel was deformed & dangled lifeless from the butt end of the flasher. I have never felt such a tireless beast of a fish, not even in Baja or our local "Jurassic Park." I’ve consulted some local guides from "Fish Gone Wild" who speculate it could’ve been a Blue Shark, which have been known to inhabit these coastal surf waters, or an extremely large Chinook. Although I’d like to think it was the later, the sheer stamina & insanity that ensued during that short fight convinces me otherwise. Increasingly I find myself day dreaming & yearning for what lays beneath the untamed waters of the Lake Pacific.
I don't know where you were fishing but there have been sightings of sharks in near shore, which according to what I've been reading, usually happens when the salmon move in close to shore.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Great story Hugh! 

You had me at "The hair stood up on the back of my neck".  
Being that you are bald as a Q ball on top, it makes it even more exciting to read on.   :occasion14:

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Casey

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
[emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Sounds like fun!!  :D  My money is on a shark.

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

uplandsandpiper

Hmmm...always interesting when this stuff happens. It doesn't sound like a Blue Shark to me. I've caught many Blue Sharks while tuna fishing with exactly the same rod as I use for Chinook. Blue Sharks are good fighters but nowhere near what you describe. Perhaps a Thresher or Salmon Shark? I'd like to think it was a nearshore Albacore but those are only the stuff of legends.

dberd

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
I'm gonna say salmon....that way you're gonna cry in your beer the rest of your life... ;D.
Kidding! Great story,Hugh!
" History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man"  BOC

DWB123

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
Hmmm...always interesting when this stuff happens. It doesn't sound like a Blue Shark to me. I've caught many Blue Sharks while tuna fishing with exactly the same rod as I use for Chinook. Blue Sharks are good fighters but nowhere near what you describe. Perhaps a Thresher or Salmon Shark? I'd like to think it was a nearshore Albacore but those are only the stuff of legends.

seconded! it might've been a shark, but almost certainly not a blue shark. even the large seven-footers i've hooked (one only yesterday while tuna fishing) don't really fight, and definitely don't run. white shark? soupfin? or seal/sea lion?

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
SOunds like it might have been a North Korean submarine, better contact the proper authorities  :D ...... Hugh I love reading your fish tales. Keep up the good work.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
The salmon  sharks are popular in California and sound similar in interactions. Maybe with warmer waters in recent years they are headed up north.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Spooky stuff!  I agree with others who believe it was a shark.  I've hooked thresher sharks that never jumped, and it doesn't feel like you're hooked to a fish.  It feels more like you're hooked to an animal and all you can do is hang on for the ride.  They're extremely fast and will often turn on a dime.  I've never hooked a salmon shark, but that could also be a possibility since they too are very fast and strong.
aMayesing Bros.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
This is one of my favorite posts on NWKA in recent memory.

The mysteries and endless possibilities are powerful aides when pulling myself out of bed at 3am to make a 5:30 launch.