Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:09:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Trident 13 with pedals  (Read 2769 times)

Casey

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Finally upgrading to a kayak with pedals! It seems pretty obvious that the Revo 13 is going to be the closest thing a person can get to a Trident 13 with a pedal system, right? Although I absolutely love the way the my kayak rides I'm ready for a kayak with a pedal system.
Before I run to the closest kayak shop with a Revo in stock, very soon! Do you guys have any advice, or just input in general? Are there any kayaks other than a Revo that are anywhere near comparable to the hull shape of a trident 13? Should I get some modifications done before I leave the shop?
Most of my time fishing is spent on the ocean. I will push long distances on the water, and of the places I frequent often are either a pack down a hairy trail or a long walk with the yak on wheels, so a somewhat light kayak is good! I'm going to temporarily shift my focus to ocean and tide water salmon fishing very soon, and think the pedals will help my success rate. The Revo is the yak for me, right? Any input would be great!
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Casey, I have both the Trident 13 and the Revo, and the hulls are very different when it comes to paddling. 

The Trident 13 has one of the best hull designs out there for glide, straight tracking and ease of paddling.

The Revo really could benefit from a hull redesign to be closer in style to the Prowler/Trident design. In reality, without the Mirage Drive the Revo actually sucks as a long distance paddling craft.  Better than the Outback by a long shot, but nowhere near as good as the Prowler/Trident.

The Hobie Addy paddles pretty nice, but it is really long and sleek, so it kinda makes sense.

If you are dead set on a Revo, get the sailing rudder and possibly turbo fins.  I don't know if there is much difference with the ST fins, so you are on your own there.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I have a Trident 11 and a Revo 13, and I agree with everything INSAYN said about the two hulls.  The Revo is NOT lightweight.  Not when you add in the weight of the drive, the seat, and anything else you add to it.

Plus - and this is not trivial - there's darned near zero room for adding accessories and carrying gear in the cockpit of a Revo.  For fishing, and especially for trolling, you have to think about that.

You might want to compare it to an Outback, side-by-side.  I have days when I wish I had.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 11:11:22 AM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Casey

• Salmon
Casey, I have both the Trident 13 and the Revo, and the hulls are very different when it comes to paddling. 

The Trident 13 has one of the best hull designs out there for glide, straight tracking and ease of paddling.

The Revo really could benefit from a hull redesign to be closer in style to the Prowler/Trident design. In reality, without the Mirage Drive the Revo actually sucks as a long distance paddling craft.  Better than the Outback by a long shot, but nowhere near as good as the Prowler/Trident.

The Hobie Addy paddles pretty nice, but it is really long and sleek, so it kinda makes sense.

If you are dead set on a Revo, get the sailing rudder and possibly turbo fins.  I don't know if there is much difference with the ST fins, so you are on your own there.
Thanks for the insight! I'm not dead set, otherwise I'd already be at the shop. I'm just hoping to get a stable kayak that moves efficiently and that won't break my back when carrying.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
As far as pedal powered kayaks go, the Revo is in my mind the most universal.  It is pretty quick with the Mirage drive and can pedal all day in, great secondary stability, easy to re-enter, great for trolling and balanced and light enough for one man carry or car top loading.

As Tinker mentioned, the Revo deck space takes some time to figure out how and where you put things.  It is VERY different than what you are used to with your Trident, but very functional once you figure it out.

I am currently prepping my Trident 13 for use after several years of inactivity. My son wants to learn surf launches and being that he uses my Revo normally and I use my Addy, I have to change things up. 

I am benching my Addy in favor of the Trident due to the really big rudder that does not twist 'n stow and could break if I roll in the surf. Just spent most of the day cleaning the moss off, resealing what needed sealed, redid the terminal connections for the battery, and redid all the handles, toggles, and bungee systems.  Looks like newish again.

Now I just have to remember how I used to stow gear on deck and such. 
 :dontknow:

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Casey

• Salmon
I have a Trident 11 and a Revo 13, and I agree with everything INSAYN said about the two hulls.  The Revo is NOT lightweight.  Not when you add in the weight of the drive, the seat, and anything else you add to it.

Plus - and this is not trivial - there's darned near zero room for adding accessories and carrying gear in the cockpit of a Revo.  For fishing, and especially for trolling, you have to think about that.

You might want to compare it to an Outback, side-by-side.  I have days when I wish I had.
The storage is something that will be tough to get used to for sure. I tend to have an accumulation of gear and fish in front of me while on the water. Maybe being forced to organize better will be a good thing. Having the fish finder along with everything else on the rail where it could get caught on something is a concern that comes to mind often too. My son Zach has an outback. It's great to know he's on a good wide platform when we land in the surf, and he tends to stay in one area as soon as he catches a fish, so the outback fits him well, but I like travel around quite a bit, and just don't think the Outback is the kayak for me.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
IF you want to try my wife's Slayer and or my Mariner let me know.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Casey

• Salmon
That's very nice of you, thanks! I was watching you pedal out at PC a couple weeks ago and was impressed with how quickly you move around on that thing. Seems to turn well too

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
That's very nice of you, thanks! I was watching you pedal out at PC a couple weeks ago and was impressed with how quickly you move around on that thing. Seems to turn well too

Specially with my extra pounds on and remember I have a bad hip.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Watch him try and paddle that barge.  8)

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013

If you leave the factory rudder on a Slayer, it turns ok.  If you replace it with a Boonedox rudder (aluminum vs plastic, and about 50% larger), then it turns GREAT. 

The big difference for me between the Propel and the Hobies was the effect on my knees.  Reverse is really nice, but the knees decided the matter.  The Hobie push-pull motion really put a strain on them.  The Propel's bicycle pedalling circular motion was just enough of a difference that the knees do not feel the strain, even when pedaling flat-out...

YMMV of course.  But make sure you try 'em out  :)  Take "Missis MoJo's" boat out for a trip and see for yourself.  :)
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Just another data point:  I tried the propel bicycle style pedals and I also have a hobie.  My knees get a little stressed by the hobie motion, but I found the propel pedals much harder on my hips and in a much shorter time (3 hrs). So, I'll stick with the hobie.

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
On any pedal drive kayak, how the seat and pedals are adjusted will have a big impact on your comfort and the efficiency of your pedaling.  And there are a lot of similarities between how you adjust a bicycle and how you adjust a pedal kayak.  A few suggestions:

1. When your foot is as far forward as it can go in a pedal stroke, your knee should be just slightly bent.  It should not be fully straightened or locked, and it should not be considerably bent.

2.  Adjust the back of your seat so you are sitting quite upright, and so your thigh comes pretty close to your chest at the top of each pedal stroke.  This will be more comfortable for your back, and will provide a powerful and efficient pedal stroke.  Look at pictures of bike racers, and note the angle between their chest and their leg when their leg is at its highest point.  You don't want to be reclining in your kayak seat.

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Just another data point:  I tried the propel bicycle style pedals and I also have a hobie.  My knees get a little stressed by the hobie motion, but I found the propel pedals much harder on my hips and in a much shorter time (3 hrs). So, I'll stick with the hobie.

Yep - best reason to have anyone looking for an upgrade try both styles and find out what works best for them.   ;)
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

• WS Commander 120, OK Trident 13, Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Casey- Ill bet just about anyone with a Revos around here will let you try theirs out- myself included.
I paddled a my Trident for several years before I finally upgraded to a Revo 13, so I know the struggles of the difference in deck space. But it wasn't a deal breaker for me, and I didn't find it was that bad either. The tradeoffs are definitely worth it. Having the power and stamina of the pedals far out compensates for the difference in hull designs. Tackle and gear management was a little different, but easily overcome. There are pockets, cup holder, and a center hatch as well as the rear well for easy access. I believe the geartrax mounting on the side rails are a no-brainer to best take advantage of deck space.
I still have my Trident but rarely use it now other than a buddy kayak. Also you might consider the Revo 11 since it is smaller and lighter. I have taken my wifes out in the salt and tidewater and is also a great boat, but I do sit a little lower in the water with it.

Better to keep ones mouth shut and presumed a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
<Proverbs>