Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:29:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 22, 2024, 10:14:53 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 08:59:01 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Trident 13 with pedals  (Read 2799 times)

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Casey- Ill bet just about anyone with a Revos around here will let you try theirs out- myself included.
I paddled a my Trident for several years before I finally upgraded to a Revo 13, so I know the struggles of the difference in deck space. But it wasn't a deal breaker for me, and I didn't find it was that bad either. The tradeoffs are definitely worth it. Having the power and stamina of the pedals far out compensates for the difference in hull designs. Tackle and gear management was a little different, but easily overcome. There are pockets, cup holder, and a center hatch as well as the rear well for easy access. I believe the geartrax mounting on the side rails are a no-brainer to best take advantage of deck space.
I still have my Trident but rarely use it now other than a buddy kayak. Also you might consider the Revo 11 since it is smaller and lighter. I have taken my wifes out in the salt and tidewater and is also a great boat, but I do sit a little lower in the water with it.
I agree with browneyesvictim about the advantages of the Revolution, and really any pedal kayak, over a paddle kayak. I kayak fished from a 13' Trident for a couple of years.  Then a friend bought an Outback.  I borrowed it for a day, and instantly saw the many advantages of a pedal kayak.  Within a week I bought a 13' Revolution.  Now I only use my Trident for fishing on shallow rivers, and for use as a base for snorkeling and spearfishing for pike. I use my Revolution for everything else.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 01:50:16 PM by pmmpete »

Casey

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Thanks for all the input, everyone! I'm pretty sold on the Revo. I called next Adventure inquiring about one, and they said if I put 25 percent down they would get an olive colored one out of their storage facility for me to pick up. I don't really want an olive colored one, not that it's a deal breaker. It is nice to look at what you're buying before even paying a cent though, so I called Nestucca Adventures and they have a Revo in every color in the store. Since I'll be at the coast all weekend anyway I'll stop in there Friday morning and "check them out". Hopefully he can swap the standard fins out for the turbo fins and maybe help out with some sort of fish finder mount before we load one on my trailer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Thanks for all the input, everyone! I'm pretty sold on the Revo. I called next Adventure inquiring about one, and they said if I put 25 percent down they would get an olive colored one out of their storage facility for me to pick up. I don't really want an olive colored one, not that it's a deal breaker. It is nice to look at what you're buying before even paying a cent though, so I called Nestucca Adventures and they have a Revo in every color in the store. Since I'll be at the coast all weekend anyway I'll stop in there Friday morning and "check them out". Hopefully he can swap the standard fins out for the turbo fins and maybe help out with some sort of fish finder mount before we load one on my trailer!
Bright colored kayaks like yellow, red, and blue are way more visible at a distance than olive and dune colored kayaks, which is a considerable safety advantage.  Consider looking for a bright colored Revolution, and waiting a couple of weeks if necessary for one to arrive.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
If this is your first pedal drive - it is, isn't it - I might suggest you proceed a bit cautiously with the fish finder mount.  There really isn't a lot of accessory mounting space in or on a Revo and reaching forward around the pedals can be an adventure in swells.  Just sayin'.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I have always wished the perfection that is the Trident could be outfitted with a mirage drive. It is the sexiest of SOT hulls.

I have an Outback (actually 2) and a Revo. As insayn said, neither paddle great.  I did paddle the Revo in Mexico quite a bit because my knees were getting sore after fishing so many days straight. I have also owned an Adventure.  I sold it because when fishing the Columbia on windy days, it could get a little squirrelly when the wind waves would stand up. IMHO, of the Hobies, the Revo is the all around best kayak. It covers ground fast, it doesn't take as much effort to fight a strong tidal current, it is so much easier to lift than the Outback, and it is nice and stable.  If you have a big fish on, you can lower your legs over the side comfortably to lower your center of gravity.  Also, if you get rolled in the surf, it hits you in the head with much less force than the Outback. ;)

There is plenty of space to mount what you NEED (i find myself running an on the water tackle shop with the Outback).  It is my first choice for salmon fishing. Other than a fish finder, a rod holder, and flag in the rear, there isn't much else that needs to be attached.  Unless of course you are a one man film production crew. ;) I carry two of the large plano watertight tackle boxes. One holds my flashers, one holds my spinners and herring helmet rigs.  They go in a crate in the back that also holds my beer/bait cooler. If I am ocean fishing for salmon, I through some jigs in with the lead in the cockpit hatch bucket. Here is a picture showing how it is rigged. I apologize if the fish is taking up too much of the photo and is blocking things. I tried to find a picture that had a smaller fish, but was unsuccessful.  ;D

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
... I tried to find a picture that had a smaller fish, but was unsuccessful.  ;D

That's a great picture but what are the guys behind you pointing at???

I tried a revo for my first time in a kayak and I hated it.  In fact the first time my butt hit the seat i fell out of it and i hadn't even left shore yet.  ;D   I bought an Outback and I love it but now that I have some seat time and a nice stable of kayaks (they breed like rabbits btw) I've been toying with the idea of a revo just because of the speed of the boats.  I have an Outfitter which has a similar hull design to an Outback and I have an Oasis which has a similar hull to a Revo (a little wider and longer then the revo 13).  My wife and daughter took out the Outfitter and my son and I were in the Oasis and we would breeze by them easily everytime we raced.  We would even give them a head start and we would still beat them and they even had turbo fins and we didn't.  I even went by myself in the Oasis and I still beat them.   Another plus is i can reboard the Oasis by myself but with the Outfitter and Outback I need the help of the rescue step.

It may be time to try the Revo again...  my wife's going to divorce me.  :-\

Casey, you might want to give the guys at Kayak Shed a call also.  Its kind of a drive out to Hood River but if they have what you want it'd be worth it.  John is a great guy out there and will make sure your experience is a great one.  It also don't hurt to ask some of the shops around if they have any demo boats that they might want to part with, you might be able to get a good deal on slightly used 2015 or 2016. 

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 03:22:16 AM by hdpwipmonkey »
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

Casey

• Salmon
Well, after a test paddle at Nestucca Adventures I finally pulled the the trigger on a Revo 13, and couldn't be happier! I'm a pile for not remembering the owners name, but he is awesome! He installed rail mounts and my fish finder while letting my son Zach and his buddy play in the river on his rental toys free of charge. It was great talking fishing with him too! He had many cool stories and experiences to share along with teaching me some things about navigating in the fog in the event your electronics go down. It was a great time and these things are faster than I expected! Although red is not at all my favorite color safety is pretty important, so red it is! My nephew thinks it's pretty awesome too!

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
Very nice.  Shiny new 180 Drive too...
Congratulations!

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
That's gonna be heavy hauling it up from boiler bay!
Saweet!!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 10:16:11 PM by bb2fish »

craig

• Sturgeon
Nah... The Revo is light (for a Hobie). I love mine.  I lift it above my head and lock my elbows.  Once in that position, I could probably run with it.  Casey will have no problem.

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Congrats!  A pedal kayak sure changed the way I fished. Hope to see you out there soon.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

craig

• Sturgeon
After what we did yesterday, and from where we launched (never again- unless I desperately want a halibut), I am glad I owned a Revo and the other 4 people had them, as well. Coincidentally, we had all 5 colors. Cute. Anyways, if we had outbacks, most likely 3 out of 5 would have perished on the 1200 foot slog through soft sand. 

Casey

• Salmon
Nah... The Revo is light (for a Hobie). I love mine.  I lift it above my head and lock my elbows.  Once in that position, I could probably run with it.  Casey will have no problem.
It's not too bad. Zachs old school outback is pretty light too. His old outback feels like it weighs less than the new Revo.

• WS Commander 120, OK Trident 13, Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Congrats on the new boat Casey! Everyone knows RED is the FASTEST color!
Better to keep ones mouth shut and presumed a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
<Proverbs>