Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 08:41:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:30:17 PM]

by DBam
[Today at 10:23:23 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 07:01:25 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 05:31:42 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Kayak for my wife  (Read 2664 times)

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
 My wife has showed interest in getting a kayak. So we are looking at getting a used Kayak in the $300-$400 range. It does not have to be super special but I would like to use it as a back up for the ocean if a friend wants to join.  I am looking for a sit on top and the 10 foot or larger range. However,  this will mostly used in rivers and lakes. If anyone has any kayaks for sale or knows of any that meets this criteria, please let me know.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

jamesmarsh

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Sent you a PM bro.  Walmart up here has a good one that just came in.  looks pretty awesome for sub $500.00

Almost looks like my hull.  slightly different setup though. 
Will trade oral favors for fish.

jamesmarsh

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
https://paddling.com/gear/avalon-120/309333/

MSRP is $740.00 lol.  Big discount on walmart's part.  Must have gone outa business
Will trade oral favors for fish.

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
Wow!  That's a good looking boat for WallyWorld.  Much better than their Sundolphin brands.  Tracks already installed.  Nice deck space with bungies.  3 hatches.  Flush rod holders and another one up front.  Plus pockets on the side.  That's a lot for under $500! 

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

JasonM

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
I have that exact kayak and got it from Wal-mart. I was looking around for a kayak in the $600 to $700 range and stumbled upon that one for sale at Wal-mart of all places. The design seems similar to the Tarpon 120, and looks to be the same mold as the Evoke Navigator 120 (same parent company also). It's not perfect and it's a bit heavier than I wanted at  68lbs, but I couldn't pass up the price. I can do a lot of mods to get it closer to exactly what I want. Here's the mfg website.

http://thirdcoastpaddlesports.com/

JasonM

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
In case you actually are considering that kayak from Walmart, here's what mine looks like rigged up and ready to fish. The second picture with the baby bass shows some neoprene that I added to the foot area and my fish finder power cord running through the hole in the rod holder that came in the kayak, but is way too far forward to reach if you're sitting in the seat.

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Hey Zach, my wife loves to paddle my first real kayak, a tapon 120. Feel free to swing by and borrow it anytime. We also have a tarpon 100 in the garage if she wants to test drive the two and see which one see like better. The 100 if a nice size for lakes and rivers but is probably a bit too small for most days in the ocean. I'd highly recommend a tarpon as a solid wife/buddy boat. She's also comfortable paddling it with my son on board.

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
Hello All,

Thank you for your help in looking for a spare kayak.  I found on in the Dalles and am meeting the guy at PIR to pick it up next Tuesday.  It is an Ocean Kayak Venus. This is an interesting ride as it is designed for women.  My wife loved the look of the kayak and it is a safety orange, or as my wife calls it "The Beaver Boat".  It is 11 ft and looks like it could be a decent buddy boat on calm days in the ocean.  I am hoping to paddle it soon and will provide a review when i have it out on the water.  Anyone else used a Venus or own one?

Zach Dennis
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
Congratulations on finding a "buddy" kayak.
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
My wife had a Venus 11 and really enjoyed it. It doesn't track super well but it's light and fun and easy to paddle overall. She put a lot of good fish in that boat. When we got her the Outback there wasn't room for the Venus anymore so my sister owns it now and similarly enjoys it.

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
My wife had a Venus 11 and really enjoyed it. It doesn't track super well but it's light and fun and easy to paddle overall. She put a lot of good fish in that boat. When we got her the Outback there wasn't room for the Venus anymore so my sister owns it now and similarly enjoys it.

That is awesome to hear that she liked it. My wife is only 5 feet tall so I am hoping the lighter though will help her out some.  Yeah it still seems like enough for  average height  people as well
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon

Haha yes the buddy kayak was a huge reason why we got a sit on top. My wife preferred a sit in but I was able to convince her otherwise.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016

Haha yes the buddy kayak was a huge reason why we got a sit on top. My wife preferred a sit in but I was able to convince her otherwise.

Just remind her that the sit on top is much better for getting a sun tan  8)
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

anything