Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:20:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Spot
[Today at 10:57:58 AM]

[Today at 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: DIY Gear track question  (Read 2058 times)

PetitPoisson

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
Gear track $ up here in Canada is downright criminal. 

Lee Valley Tools (Canadian company also in the US) has 4' Aluminium T-slot track for about $20 CAN.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?p=61646&cat=3,43576,61995&ap=1
OR
http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?p=61986&cat=3,43576,61994&ap=2

They also carry UHMW strips in 4' lengths for about $15 CAN

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?p=45161&cat=3,43576,61994,45161

Approximately $35 CAN for 4' of gear track is a winner in my mind.

Some perspective;  A $45 US Anchor Trolley from YakAttack set me back almost $100 CAN when I ordered it.  I really liked their design and decided the additional cost to get it here was warranted.  As for gear track, the Oasis gunwales are narrow so wide gear track options are not going to work.  I'm limited to tracks like the Yakattack GT90, etc.  Example: The YakAttack GT90 12" is $25 US and the Fullback is $20 US.  Combined that is $45 US (remember that $45 Anchor Trolley I mentioned, I'm going to need about 4 of these...  OUCH!).  As nice as this track is, it's simply not an option.  If my wife ever found that bill... she'd probably gut me and feed me to the fishes!

Drilling, countersinking, tapping, cutting, etc. is not an issue.

Okay, that was a bit long winded but I just wanted everyone to have a clear understanding of where I'm coming from with my questions.

1: Is the UHMW strip going to be strong enough for a backing plate or should I go with Aluminium bar stock?

2: Items like Ram, Scotty, etc. are they using 1/4-20 hardware or or 5/16-18 hardware?  I've not seen that mentioned anywhere.  I've also not purchased any as I was waiting to figure out how I'm going to mount it.

3: Any reason why I should not go this route?
3b: If this is a bad idea, is there a reasonably priced track option that I should be considering?

Thanks,
PP

Hobie Oasis (Le Phoque)
Hobie Adventure Fish (yet to be named)

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
2.  Scotty and Ram both use 1/4-20. I just checked the t bolts for both.

1. You are going to save a bunch of money and would even if you were in the states. I don't think the back plate material is as critical as it's ability to distribute a load. You can use cut up parts of a plastic cutting board. The only aluminum backing plate I have installed it for my downrigger location.

PetitPoisson

• Rockfish
2.  Scotty and Ram both use 1/4-20...

1. You are going to save a bunch of money and would even if you were in the states...

Thanks Crash,

1/4-20 info helps.  I totally get why they charge what they do for these tracks.  There is little doubt that they are a better product when you look at the track profile.  If I lived in the US, I'd seriously consider making that purchase.  Unfortunately, after exchange, duties, shipping, brokerage charges (there's a cash grab), it simply becomes prohibitive.  The really comical part is that I look directly across to the Olympic Mountains and Port Angeles every day.  The US is literally "right there" in front of me, haha. 
Hobie Oasis (Le Phoque)

WestFork

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Apr 2017
"....I don't think the back plate material is as critical as its ability to distribute a load. You can use cut up parts of a plastic cutting board...."

The above is an important observation. A high density polyethylene (HDPE) kayak shell flexes. Spreading the load out is key. HDPE cutting boards are cheap and easy to work (cut/saw/file/drill/etc). Their only drawback is they extend the length of stainless machine screws required to hold the gear track above the deck. Directly against the hull I favor fender washers to spread the load. With a piece of cutting board I can get by with ordinary flat washers or lock washers.
   Good fishing!

DBam

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I think Western Canoe Kayak has a little better pricing than the $30/4" you're finding. I think I paid $20-something for aluminium in 8" or 12". Look them up, they have a great website and one of us mainland guys can always go grab something and hang on to it for the next time you ferry over/we ferry over if you don't want to ship. I live relatively close to them so I can do my best to help you out logistically.

PetitPoisson

• Rockfish
Thanks for the offer DBam.  I was going to reply sooner but the site would not take my password.  It took a couple days and about 20 (forgot my password) attempts before the site actually sent me the link to remake a password?  Odd...

Anyhow, I checked out Western Canoe & Kayak online.  Looks like they have the Plastic track from YakAttack.  12" for $18.  I would still need the backing plate...

I ended up buying a couple Aluminium tracks from Lee Valley Tools and their 3/8"x3/4" plastic strip that I will use as a backing plate.  There's going to be a lot of drilling and tapping in my near future.  I actually bought (2) 48" tracks.  If I don't use 1 I can take it back.  Anyhow, a potential 84" for about $70.  I have a box of 8/32x1" stainless machine screw and all the tools I need to make this happen.  So this is the route I decided to go with it.

Hobie Oasis (Le Phoque)