Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:57:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Does anyone here speak Visayan or Tagalog?  (Read 1702 times)

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
I've got a co worker whose disabled veteran father wants to pick up a lightweight kayak to fly fish from. ( they're in the puyallup area)

Sadly he doesn't speak all that much english, but has reached out to me for help thru his son,( my co worker)

I'm going to try and help the guys as,much as possible but think it would be better for the father if we had someone that could help in his own language. 

So, can anyone help?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 06:28:24 PM by [WR] »
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
I don't, but have family who speak both.  Shoot me a PM and we'll see if we can make something work.  Maybe have them email you in either language and forward it my way for translation?  Or write up your suggestions for the same treatment?  Related note:  Google translate is actually really good.
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • ADTA.org
Thanks. I still have to work out more details with the son before this goes further. I have explained to him about the additional costs such as safety gear including PFD and dry suit.

Am leaning toward an Eddyline Carribean due to the weight limitations of the father. I also think this might be a good choice to toss flies from since the decks aren't as cluttered as other yaks tend to be.  Then again, Zee's home crafted stripping basket does work well too.......

Anyone have a 50 lb boat they'd like to recommend?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 10:37:33 PM by [WR] »
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I find that having a clear decks is more important for having fewer things to get a line, leader, or fly tangled-up in than for managing stripped line.  Changing flies drapes a lot of slack leader hither and yon, and the less stuff I can get that tangled that in, the happier I am.  But as klutzes are ranked, I'm klutzier than most.

An open bow with bungees is just daring me to snag a fly up there, just out of reach, and the gear tracks on my Tarpon's gunwale just love to grab the leader when I'm changing flies.

It doesn't take long to learn how to avoid the snaggy spots, but I spent most of the first two trips freeing the line, leader, or fly (or begging surfs12foot to help) before I figured it out.

I haven't found a need for a stripping mat in paddle-powered kayaks.  If I strip the line to the area roughly between my knees, it rarely tangles, even when paddling to change locations.

The OK Tetra and OK Venus come in close to the target weight and cost less than the Eddyline, but the Caribbean is a sweet boat and I'm seeing them pop up on craiglslist for good prices.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
I just picked up an OK Venus for my wife and i have really enjoyed it.  A friend of mine took it out in the ocean at Depoe last weekend and it handled fine.  A little more tippy than the outback of course but did quite well.  It is easy to lift overhead as well.

I got mine used online for 400.  It still had the price tags on it  :D.  You may need to expand your search if using cragslist.  Under options i add the distance to 200 miles for kayaks.  I have gotten a few in southern washington.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • ADTA.org
Thanks guys. This morning I added the Delta Catfish to the list. At 10.5 feet and 39 lbs with a tunnel hull, its not exactly a standard kayak that comes to mind but it will fit the bill, too.

I got to get the guy out on a demo. With all his injuries , this might not be for him, but the only way to kno is to try it.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Thanks guys. This morning I added the Delta Catfish to the list. At 10.5 feet and 39 lbs with a tunnel hull, its not exactly a standard kayak that comes to mind but it will fit the bill, too.

I got to get the guy out on a demo. With all his injuries , this might not be for him, but the only way to kno is to try it.
Can't speak for others but if he wants to try one of the natives I have two, a little heavier then some but he's welcome to try them.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • ADTA.org
Thanks, Shannon. Not sure they'd drive quite that far to demo a boat ( Puyallup area, after all) but you never know.

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Thanks, Shannon. Not sure they'd drive quite that far to demo a boat ( Puyallup area, after all) but you never know.

WR, bring them over to Gig Harbor Watersports to demo.  Blake has Natives, Hobies, the new Hurricanes I think in stock, and some paddle boats.
http://gigharborwatersports.com
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • ADTA.org
Thanks. That shop has been on the short list to get them into demo's . Just getting them to commit right now is the trick.

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
oh, and I forgot the other dealer over here, https://www.shiptoshoremarine.com/.  They have Eddyline and the Pescador pedal boats.  Not sure about demos though.  They're just a couple of blocks down the road.

https://www.shiptoshoremarine.com/collections/kayaks/products/perception-pescador-pilot-12-sonic-camo

Jim
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • ADTA.org
Jim,
Again, thanks. Right now the decisions are up to them. Have given them enough resources to get them started in the right direction,  all they need to do is act on it.
Rich