Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:16:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Nestucca Saturday?  (Read 1350 times)

Casey

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Is anyone interested in giving the Nestucca a shot on Saturday? Unfortunately I have to attend a wedding at 5:00 near Salem so I'll have to get off the water at 3:00 (high slack). My loose plan is to put in at the boat launch along the hwy and to troll down toward the jaws and back with a cut plug herring, or an anchovy with a spinner blade like they do at the Rouge.
It looks like the south side of the bay between where the little Nestucca comes in and the ocean has a nice channel. 
Any input, advice, and or company would be awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MurseStrong

• Lingcod
  • 2009 OK T11 2016 Hobie Revo 13 2018 Hobie Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
Is anyone interested in giving the Nestucca a shot on Saturday? Unfortunately I have to attend a wedding at 5:00 near Salem so I'll have to get off the water at 3:00 (high slack). My loose plan is to put in at the boat launch along the hwy and to troll down toward the jaws and back with a cut plug herring, or an anchovy with a spinner blade like they do at the Rouge.
It looks like the south side of the bay between where the little Nestucca comes in and the ocean has a nice channel. 
Any input, advice, and or company would be awesome!

Casey, PM me if you'd like. Although this is really Onefish's stomping grounds, I may be able to help curb this fishery for you. This is such a beautiful area & worth exploring. If you hook a Nook here it will be an absolute beauty & most likely a very large feisty fish. This area can be a little more advanced, especially if crowded, but also one of the most rewarding & elusive fisheries on the coast.
Hugh
If You Know The Answer, Ask Bigger Questions

"You are killing me, fish, the old man thought. But you have a right to. Never have I seen a greater, or more beautiful, or a calmer or more noble thing than you, brother."
-The Old Man and the Sea

onefish

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
With tomorrow's forecast I would recommend the ocean for salmon fishing!  Between the rock and the mouth (roughly 30 to 60 fow) is known as chinook alley for a reason.  I'm thinking ocean in the morning and the bay in the afternoon towards high tide.
“Out of the water I am nothing” Duke Kahanamoku

Casey

• Salmon
Thanks for the advice! I'm loading up now, and will be there early. If anyone else decides to show I'll be on VHF channel 69

Casey

• Salmon
The Nestucca was a lot of fun! It was kind of a surprise that there were so many people out there since it doesn't seem like a river that gets talked about much. The action wasn't super hot but there were some moments when the bite was on, and a few fish were caught. All the Chinook that were caught were really nice looking fish. I fished out at the mouth until just before high tide with a whole herring and a spinner blade. I lost a small coho right at the kayak, and had two other takedowns that didn't stick.[emoji22]I blame loosing my bait threader and not getting to use a treble hook.
It was a lot of work fishing out there! It was a long pedal to get there and everyone just pretty much stayed in one spot trolling against the current but not really moving the whole day. I should not have exercised the day before, having really sore legs did not help! It was tough to get off the kayak and walk after.
For my first attempt fishing there it feels like a success even though I failed to land a fish. At least I can go back confident that I know what to do next time. I can't wait to go back! This will be the only fishing I do until I succeed! Can't wait to catch one of those hogs!

« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 03:51:10 PM by Casey »